Steve OH
    Apr 2010

Flite chain issues

i recently purchased a sette flite , got it all put together and cant get the chainline set very well its trrowing my FD off pretty bad , has anyone else had this issue and if so what was the cure , i even took it to my LBS and he seemed to be stumped , ill try to get some pics a little later

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by firemechanic07
    i recently purchased a sette flite , got it all put together and cant get the chainline set very well its trrowing my FD off pretty bad , has anyone else had this issue and if so what was the cure , i even took it to my LBS and he seemed to be stumped , ill try to get some pics a little later

I ran the 3x9 setup when I got the Flite and had no issues switching between all 3 chainrings.

Do yourself a favor and dump the big chain ring and install a BBG Bashguard. You will never look back. 2x9 for the Flite is the perfect setup.

Steve OH
    Apr 2010
    for some reason nothing will line up , im pretty sure i have a 3x8 setup , i basically cannableized my haro flightline to assemble this frame, the mech at my LBS said really the only way to line it up would be to trim my bottom bracket housing , im not to crazy about basically grinding my bottom bracket housing away , im new to mtn bikes , so im not up on all the terms yet , im not sure what a "bbg bashguard " is also this is a stupid question but which hole in the rockers is for the 6" travel , the rear isnt it ?

mtbr member
    The hole closest to the seat tube is 6".

BBGbashguard.com. It replaced the big ring with a guard that protects your second chainring.

Steve OH
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    The hole closest to the seat tube is 6".

BBGbashguard.com. It replaced the big ring with a guard that protects your second chainring.

would i need to increase my second chainring size ? and currently my chain is hanging up going to the smallest one , what is the purpose of the chain guide ?

Steve OH
    Apr 2010
    heres a pic of the FD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flite chain issues-bike.jpg  

Steve OH
    Apr 2010
    is there any hope for the odd cable angle ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flite chain issues-bike3.jpg  

Flite chain issues-bike2-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    I am pretty certain you have the wrong style front derailleur for the frame. You need a Low Clamp, Top Pull Front Derailleur. What you have on your bike is a High Clamp, Top Pull.

I am also pretty certain the angle of the cable is pretty normal for the Flite.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Steve OH
    Apr 2010
    i had a low clamp , that i tried originally but i couldnt get it to sit low enough not to hit the chain when on the small chain ring is the solution to bend it ?? i work on heavy equipment and trucks for a living and get a bigger hammer works well for them , im not so sure how that would work for my mtb

AZ
    banned
    Are the spacers in your bottom bracket installed correctly ? If they are not your chain line will be screwed .

Steve OH
    Apr 2010
    i actually do not have any spacers in there , it needs to move in farther closer to the shell , well thats what the mech at the lbs told me , his solution was to grind away at the shell *scary stuff*

AZ
    banned
    Do you have a square taper bottom bracket ? If so , a shorter spindle to correct the chain line is the proper fix .

Steve OH
    Apr 2010
    i think it might be my crank , its just a cheesy suntour low budget crank , i just ordered a new one by raceface hopefully that will help

AZ
    banned
    Yep , pretty easy to setup , just put the spacer/spacers in the right place . Good luck .

Steve OH
    Apr 2010
    got my new cranks today , race face evolve DH from wheelworld , im a little dissapoiunted that they sent me a previously enjoyed bottom bracket, but its installed , chainline is dead on , got my lowclamp FD to work it shifts nice , now ive got a 2X8 with a bashring , i need to switch to a 9 thanx to everyone for the advice

AZ
    banned
    Congrats , enjoy .