Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Derptastic

First build - Reken

So I've been looking to teach myself how to build and maintain bikes for a while, and recently got an excuse to do build a whole new one. Figured I'd make a thread here to keep any questions I might have in one place.

So far I've gotten the frame, fork and bars in. Waiting on the stem and headset to arrive.

Derptastic
    First question, is it worth it to purchase a headset press? Fashion a ghetto press with a threaded rod, wing nuts and washers? Or just take it to the LBS?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've used a ghetto press a couple of times with no issues on a Sette Ace and Flite. As long as you have everything aligned then you'll be okay. Just go slow and make sure the headset lined up as your turn it.
    Last edited by eg6rcr; 04-22-2011 at 01:55 PM.

DCG
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ghetto Press all the way.

Actually, I used the Headset Replacement instructions here:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/

I'm not ashamed to admit that a hammer was involved. No issues.

My Reken was also my first time building up a bike from the frame and I learned a TON about bike maintenance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozh
    Sometimes I have to pause and remind myself that we are talking about bicycles....goddam bicycles and not nuclear reactors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My first build was my Reken too. I took it to the shop to have the headset and bottom bracket installed. They charged me ~$30 but it was worth it to have it done right and not have to worry about screwing anything up.

Derptastic
    Well, still waiting on more parts to arrive, but I did make a little home-made press. $8

My dog thinks it's a bone apparently.

Derptastic
    So my next shipment of parts arrived this evening! Overcame the first thing I was worried about in this build, installing the headset!

Need to run to Lowes tomorrow to get a nice pipe cutter and take care of that tube length! Also got my tires, tubes and rim tape. Wheelset still on its way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadric
    So my next shipment of parts arrived this evening! Overcame the first thing I was worried about in this build, installing the headset!

Need to run to Lowes tomorrow to get a nice pipe cutter and take care of that tube length! Also got my tires, tubes and rim tape. Wheelset still on its way.

Use a hacksaw for the steerer tube, not a pipecutter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I used a tube cutter for mine, any reason that it shouldn't have been done that way?

Derptastic
    I've heard aluminum tubes can flare out when a tube cutter is used, but this is a steel tube. I've cut steel pipes hundreds of times outside of bike building when I was younger. A cut with a pipe cutter will be straighter and cleaner.

Anyhow, here's another question:

I'm probably going to be getting this build kit for the drive train and brakes. Am I correct in thinking I'll need a top pull front derailleur?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    A tubing cutter works great. Just make sure to use a sharp blade, lubricate while cutting, and file or sand down the cut area to make sure it is smooth.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Derptastic
    Wheelset came!

Now I've run into a new problem. Where to put the damn thing! Think I may have to sell my weight bench to make room! Or move out of this apartment and get a house

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Lookin' good. Those wheels look very familiar....
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadric
    I'm probably going to be getting this build kit for the drive train and brakes. Am I correct in thinking I'll need a top pull front derailleur?
    From the pictures it looks like your front derailleur cable will be coming from the top side of the top tube, around the seat tube and down to the derailleur. Therefore, yes, you need a top pull front derailleur. My Razzo came with a little card that was tied to the frame that had all the parts specifications to help with ordering the components. Should also say on there.

DCG
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Those tires are crazy! You gonna have any other yellow accents?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozh
    Sometimes I have to pause and remind myself that we are talking about bicycles....goddam bicycles and not nuclear reactors.

Derptastic
    Quote Originally Posted by mtblucas
    From the pictures it looks like your front derailleur cable will be coming from the top side of the top tube, around the seat tube and down to the derailleur. Therefore, yes, you need a top pull front derailleur. My Razzo came with a little card that was tied to the frame that had all the parts specifications to help with ordering the components. Should also say on there.
    Now that you mention it, I think there was a card attached to the frame. Guess I shouldn't have tossed it Oh well, the rest of the specs are online, and I figured it was top pull, just wanted to make sure before making a purchase. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DCG
    Those tires are crazy! You gonna have any other yellow accents?
    I have yellow Oury grips coming, and I was thinking about replacing the seatpost clamp that came with the frame with a yellow one. Don't know how much more I'd want to do in yellow though

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nice job so far I should have mine done in 2 weeks or so...

Derptastic
    So I got my seatpost (Easton EA80), saddle (WTB Rocket V Race) and grips in (Yellow Oury's), but didn't take any pictures because I'm waiting to put them on. Next shipment coming will be mostly tools needed to complete the build, and a work stand (Feedback Sports Pro Elite).

It's hard sticking to my buy plan though. Didn't want to cut into savings, and didn't want to stop putting money into savings while doing this. So I'm having to space out my buys over pay periods. It's so tempting to just buy the rest of what I need now!

Expect the last parts buy to be made next Friday, with parts arriving the following week. So I'm hoping to be finished and riding the new bike by the 20th

Derptastic
    Just made my final parts order, went with the SRAM X7 kit with BB7s. Yellow cable housing

Can't wait for it to get here. Supposed to rain all next week, so I should have plenty of time to work on it and finish it up by the time the trails dry up.

Derptastic
    While I'm waiting for parts, here's 2 more pics that were still on my phone.

Headset installed. Left it a bit long so I can move it around once I get it on the trail. Depending where I like it, I may cut the tube again.

Bars cut and filed. Though the pic makes it look a bit rough still.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Those Reken frames look pretty nice, are they more XC race or AM/XC

Derptastic
    It's more of an XC frame as far as I can tell, but I'm far from an expert.

Second to last shipment came in today, expect the last tomorrow. I've strayed from my color coordination!

Derptastic
    More shitty pictures!

Derptastic
    More:

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Looks like its coming along nicley, those pedals are pretty cool. I would really like to know it rides when its fully built

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast