Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Derptastic
    Almost done! I was nervous about doing the cabling, but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Let me know if you see any f*ck ups!

The cable to the rear derailleur (by the sea tpost) looks a bit short in the pic, but it's no nearly as tight as it appears.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Looks good. I might trow a zip tie on the lower fork just to pull the front brake cable in closer but it would probably be just fine without.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Looks good, The only thing is that the front brake cable might rub on the tire, i zip tied mine to the outside of the fork, other than that very nice. How does it feel on the trail

Derptastic
    Just got back from the first ride on it, very happy with how it turned out! Still have to do a bit of adjustment on the rear derailleur though. About half way through the ride it decided it didn't want to shift up on to the largest cog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    it looks even better on the trail with dirt on it

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    yellow saddle anyone?
    RAH!

Mountain Man Dan
    Cool build. But you could have gotten a dart 3 and it would have been a bit better.

I'm A Pedalphile
    Looks good. I enjoyed building up my Reken as a 1x9 commuter.

The only thing I noticed as a critique to your build is the rear derailleur cable housing that goes from the top tube to the seat stay (you have one close up picture of it). It will work, but it's on the short side. It looks like the ferrule is being pulled slightly in the braze-on, which might cause a little friction as the cable enters that section of housing. Another 1/2" - 3/4" would probably make it perfect.

Other than that, looks like a solid build! The Reken is a great frame for the money. Now don't forget to check the tightness of hubs and headset after you get a few rides in.
    Bikes:
    Mountain: Santa Cruz Blur
    Road: Trek Madone 5.2 SL
    Commuter: Sette Reken 1x9

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Headset size question

Hello everyone. I'm hoping one of you Reken builders can help a first-time builder. I'm planning on putting together a 1x9 Reken commuter but I'm stuck on which headset to get due to size and fit considerations. I understand the Reken takes a 1 1/8" std cup headset. I'm looking at an Origin 8 Chromo Light Combo rigid fork, which has a threadless 1 1/8 " x 250 mm steerer. I'm looking for a lower-end Cane Creek headset that will work with this fork and the Reken frame. Unfortunately their fit guide does not include the Reken frame. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with that fork, but I have built several Reken's and used a Cane Creek S-2 and S-3 model. They were cheap at one time when Nashbar closed them out and had sealed bearings. On 1 build, I used a WTB Momentum headset...they can be found on ebay.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    I'm not familiar with that fork, but I have built several Reken's and used a Cane Creek S-2 and S-3 model. They were cheap at one time when Nashbar closed them out and had sealed bearings. On 1 build, I used a WTB Momentum headset...they can be found on ebay.
    Thanks, man. I was considering either the S-2 or S-3 - but was hoping someone could confirm a good fit before I pulled the trigger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    Forgot to ask, does the Reken head tube need to be reamed and faced if it's new from the factory? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I did not have to do anything to the head tube. It was pretty good from the factory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2