mtbr member
    Apr 2009

First Broken Sette Phantom?

Broke my Sette Phantom's chainstay today. Snapped it completely in half. Right as I was taking off for my race my wheel started dragging the frame, I thought my wheel was just in crooked, but it turned out to be a snapped chainstay. It was really strange it was fine for the pre-ride the day before, it was fine for the warm up, but right as I took off on the race it just snapped.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Oh that suxs. Is it under warranty?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've only had it 1.5 years, so it should be under warranty. We'll see how they handle it later this week.

Derptastic
    Ouch! Hope they take care of this for ya.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    total bummer dude! if they dont replace it, it still can be repaired.

i snapped the bolt that connects my dropout to seatstay while practicing in big bear on firday. dot it fixed for my race though
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just got word from Sette that I need to send the frame to them. I've never had to warranty a frame before, is it normal to have to send it back at your own cost?
    He also said that it will probably be replaced.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It is normal when dealing with mail order bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

mtbr member
    Price Point has previously paid shipping both ways for warranty replacements.

Request a shipping label and go from there. If they don't send you one it shouldn't be more than $20 USPS economy shipping.

I'm pretty sure they'll send you a new frame. Probably one of the Serum frames.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    Quote Originally Posted by COLINx86 View Post
    Just got word from Sette that I need to send the frame to them. I've never had to warranty a frame before, is it normal to have to send it back at your own cost?
    He also said that it will probably be replaced.
    a buddy snapped his niner frame in half and he didn't have to send it in.. or maybe they just sent him the twisted chunk of alloy..
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    most good company's want to see the broken bike so they can try and find out what happed I would be much more concerned with bike quality coming from a company that dident care. also if they dident make you send in the frame then I think mine just broke I would like a free frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMasonJones View Post
    most good company's want to see the broken bike so they can try and find out what happed I would be much more concerned with bike quality coming from a company that dident care. also if they dident make you send in the frame then I think mine just broke I would like a free frame.
    I knew I'd have to send it in, I was just wondering if it's normal for me to have to pay to send it in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessfools View Post
    total bummer dude! if they dont replace it, it still can be repaired.
    For future reference, How could something like that be repaired? Who does those repairs?

I couldnt imagine it being cheap fix........

XC racer
    May 2005
    In Texas, I know of at least one frame builder that does carbon repairs, Kirklee in Austin, best known for their custom road frames. Probably no cheap but if worth it if you really like the frame and it's cheaper than a new one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Any updates?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sorry for the lack of updates. I am actually just now getting around to shipping it, I needed to take the headset out, but I kept putting it off for a month. Anyways It's all packed up and will be headed to the post office as soon as I finish typing this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well, I have to say, I am VERY impressed with Sette/Pricepoint. Not only are they going to replace my frame with the new Serum, but they are going to bump it up a size for me (was starting to out grow the 17").

So not only do they sell a nice frame, they stand by there product!

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    nice! good to hear! (ill be swapping my sette for a carbon hardtail frame though)
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    wow, that is good to know. did they require any type of purchase info?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Awesome, nice to hear good news about an online seller. Looks like it was taken care of very nicely!!!

Todd

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    EDIT: Well, after a little more back and forth, Sette again went above and beyond and refunded me my money for the frame (The frame has been discontinued.) Again, I'm impressed with the guys from Sette, stand up group of guys.

Well, here we are again, another snapped chainstay. Just a little back story, while I was waiting for the frame to be replaced last time I ended up finding a once in a lifetime deal on a complete bike. Once I received my warrantied frame (Sette Serum) I built it up with my old parts as a back up bike. The bike got ridden MAYBE 10ish times, mostly by my brother, who is the exact opposite of being hard on equipment. The last time it was ridden it was put away dirty and wasn't touched for a good six months or more. A few weeks back I took it out of the garage to be washed only to notice the frame had snapped in almost the exact same spot. After a tad over a month of going back and forth with Sette, they respond back to me informing me the bike showed "excessive wear and tear, with various scratches, dents, nicks and abrasions caused by impacts other than normal riding." The bike was hardly touched, never taken on anything even remotely rocky, and was honestly in great shape other than the, you know, snapped chainstay. After one snap, I'd say that I was just unlucky, but two? In almost the exact same place?

First Broken Sette Phantom?-photo-1.jpgFirst Broken Sette Phantom?-photo-4.jpg

I realize that this is all he said she said and nothing can really be proven, but I figured I'd post it here and let everyone know my experiences, both the good and the bad.
    Last edited by COLINx86; 05-15-2013 at 09:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for posting this....I have the Serum so Ill have to keep an eye on the chainstays.

What have you decided to replace the frame with ?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Funny, that's exactly where my year old Serum seems to get hit with thrown up rocks when I'm riding hard. Rear tire kicks up rock that gets lifted by heel and slammed into underside of chain stay. One time it chipped off the epoxy coating but it's never done worse. Also, by the looks of the rest of that chain stay, I would have to agree with Sette that this frame is getting lots of impacts in that area. Look at all those bubbles in the coating where rocks have slammed your carbon stay. .. . You posted the photo, I own the same frame and ride it hard in lots of loose rock and have nowhere near the damage shown in your photo. Some people need Shelter protective tape or a metal frame.