Thread: Dragging brakes

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Dragging brakes

So I know that normally this should go in the brakes forum, but I just wanted to see if any others have issues with their brakes constantly dragging on there phantom's.

I can get them to stop dragging for about 2 squeezes of the lever and then they're dragging again, doesn't matter what I do. I doubt it's an issue with the brakes cause I've had three different sets of brakes do the exact same thing (Avid Elixir R, some older Hope Mono Mini's, and now Avid Juicy Ultimate's). It's not a wheel issue, because I just got a new wheel and it still does the same thing. And it's not a rotor issue, because I've tried numerous rotors.

So anyone else have similar issues? any fixes/suggestions?

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    are you pushing the bosses back?
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessfools
    are you pushing the bosses back?
    Did you mean the pistons? if so, yes. I took it up to my LBS, so hopefully the mechanic up there can figure something out.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    piston or bosses same thing right?

id just start at the basics, retreat the pistons back then re align the caliper to the disc. make sure its strait still. pump the brakes and see what happens.
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Take a look at these 2 vids, I am running Avid CR's and use this method no dragging. I've also used this method on my previous Shimano Deore's and wow what a difference it made in braking.

How to - Set up a caliper
    http://www.hopegb.com/page_mep_force_38.html

How to - Centralise pistons
    http://www.hopegb.com/page_mep_force_39.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the videos!
    Got my bike back from the first shop...no luck, actually it was worse. So took it up to another shop for them to face the tabs (only thing I haven't tried yet). I've heard of this working for some people, if your tabs aren't aligned, so I have my fingers crossed.