Old Fart

Derro frame Will I Like It??

I've been riding a Gary Fisher Team Issue Sugar for about the past 5 years and love it. Sadly I broke the frame the other day, since I bought it second hand I'm sure Trek won't warranty it. So I'm looking to for a frame to bolt all my parts onto. Wondering if anybody has ridden both a Sugar and a Derro and how they might compare.

I'm looking on the Price Point Website, are there other options?
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Drerro has only been out for a month so there just are not too many people out there who have one yet. I have a Derro 1.0 which I discussed in a previous thread. I have about 200 hard miles on it now and so far it's done just about everything I've asked it to. If I could change one thing it would be the headtube angle as it seems a little slack. The front wheel gets stuck basically on the roots and rocks on slow climbs because of the slack headtube. It's no big deal though, I'm pretty much used to it and have adjusted my technique when climbing the slow rough stuff. What I like the best about it is that it's well balanced. I never have to worry about looping out when I'm off the back or endoing because I was too far forward and hit some really rough stuff on the downhills (probably due to the slack headtube I mentioned earlier). The suspension doesn't bob like crazy on the climbs.

Sorry I can't be of any help to you as far as the Sugar comparison goes but I think in time you'll see a lot more Derros out there and someone with Sugar experience will hopefully be able to give you some insight.

Old Fart
    Thanks, I didn't realize they were that new. At this point I'd be happy to hear from anyone that has ridden one then whether or not they can compare it to a Sugar.
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    somebody knows the weight of the derro in 19`without shock?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

2011 derro comes with a 2009 float rp2 WTF??

Quote Originally Posted by Scubapiper View Post
    I've been riding a Gary Fisher Team Issue Sugar for about the past 5 years and love it. Sadly I broke the frame the other day, since I bought it second hand I'm sure Trek won't warranty it. So I'm looking to for a frame to bolt all my parts onto. Wondering if anybody has ridden both a Sugar and a Derro and how they might compare.

I'm looking on the Price Point Website, are there other options?
    I'm new to this forum, and have had a 3 year lay off from MTB.I found out something about the derro that i didn't like. I'm also on the market for a frame to do a part swap, and really like the derro. I called pricepoint to get more info on it, and come to find out that the NEW 2011 derro frame comes with a 2009 fox float rp2 Pricepoint could not give me an explanation why Sette did that. Donno know, but a 2011 FS frame should come with a 2011 SHOCK.... IDK i may buy it still....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Does it really matter? New 2009 shock or new 2011 shock, probably the same anyways.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    First off Price Point is Sette. Secondly it is obvious why they did it. They probably had purchased a whole bunch of these shocks back in 2009, or maybe a got a great clearance deal from Fox. It keeps the price of the bike/frame down. As long as the shock is new, who cares. There is probably minimal difference between the 2009 and 2011 shock anyways.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by deadmanriding66 View Post
    I'm new to this forum, and have had a 3 year lay off from MTB.I found out something about the derro that i didn't like. I'm also on the market for a frame to do a part swap, and really like the derro. I called pricepoint to get more info on it, and come to find out that the NEW 2011 derro frame comes with a 2009 fox float rp2 Pricepoint could not give me an explanation why Sette did that. Donno know, but a 2011 FS frame should come with a 2011 SHOCK.... IDK i may buy it still....
    Where did you get the idea that is a 2009 RP2? The shock looks identical the RP2 and RP23's I see coming on every Giant and Specialized 2011/2012 model. My buddy bought a Derro and the RP2 is identical to that on another friend's 2011 Enduro.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I got the idea when i called Sette, and they said that the Derro comes with 2009 RP2.... Not make it up Nagaredama.... I'm still gonna buy it though. How those your buddy like the Derro?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama View Post
    Where did you get the idea that is a 2009 RP2? The shock looks identical the RP2 and RP23's I see coming on every Giant and Specialized 2011/2012 model. My buddy bought a Derro and the RP2 is identical to that on another friend's 2011 Enduro.
    I got the idea when i called Sette, and they said that the Derro comes with 2009 RP2.... Not make it up Nagaredama.... I'm still gonna buy it though. How those your buddy like the Derro?

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by deadmanriding66 View Post
    Who at Sette did you talk to and what is their phone number? Every time I've emailed them refer me to PricePoint, who always gets me the answers I'm after.

My buddy loves it so far. Bike is super soild, shiftts well and the suspension performs great. I helped him find buy the bike and after much research I couldn't find another bike out with that nice of spec for that money.

No way that is a 2009 RP2. It is a 2011. I called Fox and asked. It is a 2011.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama View Post
    Who at Sette did you talk to and what is their phone number? Every time I've emailed them refer me to PricePoint, who always gets me the answers I'm after.

My buddy loves it so far. Bike is super soild, shiftts well and the suspension performs great. I helped him find buy the bike and after much research I couldn't find another bike out with that nice of spec for that money.

No way that is a 2009 RP2. It is a 2011. I called Fox and asked. It is a 2011.
    Sorry, it was PricePoint i called, and it was some chick i talked to that said, and confirmed it with someone else that the derro comes with a 2009 rp2.... It's hard to determine who's right....

I was searching for a shock when i came across on a 2009 rp2 on sale, and it looked identical to the rp2 on the derro, so i decided to call PricePoint. I asked why would Sette use a 2009 rp2 shock on a 2011 frame? They didn't know why...