Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Derro Builds

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Derro Builds

Does anyone have any custom builds on the Derro frame yet? I've seen the threads on the complete builds, but would like to see any pictures and writeups of a custom one. I was saving up for a different frame, but things happen and the price of this framset is becoming really attractive.

For the build, I have X9 components with a double ring / bash crankset and a set of Juicy 3 brakes. For the time being, I'll probably carry over my wheelset and Toro fork (if the steerer is long enough still) from my hardtail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Damn you beat me to it... was about to start a thread on the same exact topic. I regret not jumping on the frame last week when it was$550, went back up to 599 this week. Im keeping my Fox F100 RLC, X9 1x9 drivetrain with slx crank, and neuvation wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It seems like the few people that are riding the Derro right now bought the complete bike. I'm close to ordering the frame, but not quite completely sold yet. My biggest concern is if a 4" bike is the best fit for my trails. Most of my riding buddies are on 5" bikes, but I still ride a hardtail - I am pretty sure with the right line a 4" bike would be an improvement.

How is the cable routing? Are there room in the stops for full-length housing, or do the cable run high enough this isn't even necessary?

What about the quality of the frames from the factory? Do they generally need to be faced or are they prepped well out of the box?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well despite the lack of responses, I decided to order the frame. Overall Sette frames have good review, the Ace which I assume this replaced had good reviews, and the stock Derro builds have had positive comments so far. I'll be the guinea pig and post pictures of the build and first ride.

Here is what I'll be using:

Fork: 100mm Rock Shox Tora ~2010, currently on my Rockhopper.
    Shifters / Front and Rear Derailleurs: SRAM X-9
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 3. 185mm front rotor / 160mm rear rotor (might change to my Hayes Strokers if they squeal too much)
    Crankset: Truvativ Stylo Double ring / bash
    Headset: Cane Creek ZS-3
    Seatpost: Easton EA-50
    Handlebars: Easton Carbon Low Rise
    Stem: One of a few I have laying around, which ever feels the best
    Grips: ODI Ruffian
    Wheels: Rhyno Lites with XT hubs

I just realized how many SRAM owned parts there are, I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other, but I got good deals on those parts.
    Last edited by emtnate; 03-28-2012 at 02:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Apparently Im the only other person following this thread ....post up your updates... I should be ordering my frame in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'll keep this thread updated, maybe it'll pick up a few more responses. Pricepoint ships fast, I suspect I'll have the frame in a week and I'll need an afternoon to put it together and dial everything in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I look forward to seeing the build and a good review. I'm thinking of getting a frame and building it up with parts from my wife's HT. Does anyone see a problem using a 120mm fork on one of these frames?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My frame is supposed to come tomorrow. Pricepoint did their part and shipped everything quickly, but FedEx hasn't updated the tracking information since the package was taken into their possession. According to the tracking page, the box has been en route to the FedEx location in Bloomington, Ca since 12:30 am on March 30 ...

So, we'll see if it shows up on time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Frame did in fact come this morning. At the first unpacking, I was disappointed that the seat post collar was missing. The listing on Price Point clearly says the collars are included with the frame, so hopefully customer service gets back with me soon. Fortunately, I have a collar that fits, so I can still build everything up today. The first thing I noticed about the frame, is the welds aren't as nice looking as some other brands. They appear to be strong and no cracks are visible, so this is purely cosmetic.

The other thing I can't figure out yet, is the shock. With all the air removed, it still won't cycle through any of the travel. The manuals that came with the bike are extremely generic, they only apply to the entire Sette frame line and there is nothing specific about the Derro. The same thing with the Fox RP-2. So, there is no information about cable routing, part numbers for the replaceable hanger (can't find this on the website either), or part numbers and torque specs for the rear triangle linkage.

edit: I found another annoyance with this frame. It appears in order to use the guides brazed on the frame that the brake lines will need to be installed before the shock, or you will need to cut and re-bleed the lines. Without the torque specs from the service manual, I don't feel like removing the pivot bolts tonight, I also don't feel like bleeding perfectly good brakes right now either. It seems like there are a few corners Sette / Pricepoint are cutting that would otherwise make this a pleasure to build. You get what you pay for.

2nd edit: got the shock figured out, must have just been a bit stiff being brand new. It appears to be functioning fully now.
    Last edited by emtnate; 04-04-2012 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Post up pics of everything you can. I'd like to see the quality of the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I will be at work all day tomorrow without the bike and can take detailed pictures on Friday. What parts do you want to see?

My impressions while building are that the frame is on par with other frames in the similar price range. It appears to be very similar quality to my Rockhopper or the mid-level bikes from the other major brands. A step down from high end or boutique bikes, but that is expected. I did have to clean hardened slag out from some of the cable stops. The powder coat and clear coat seems alright, I will know how it holds up mid season or so.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

The Build Process

Bikerbob.com already already posted an excellent step-by-step tutorial on building up a full suspension frame, so I am skipping many of the details.

First, the temporary donor bike a 2008 Rockhopper with nothing stock except for the crankset. I'm borrowing the wheels and fork for now until I save up some more money for Fox Float 100 and a new wheelset. I am thinking about Hope Pro IIs laced to Mavic XM 319 rims, but I am not positive yet. I like my hardtail, especially for trips to Rays, and I doubt the frame is worth much to resell anyway.

The bare Derro frame, freshly unpacked. The quality is as I noted above, on par with other mid-range frames out there.

The bottom bracket cups threaded on nicely and the crankset fit in nicely. I did NOT have the BB chased and faced. The parts fit as a they should and I am banking on the plastic spacers covering up any imperfection in the BB shell or powder coating. If I'm wrong, I'll be buying a new crankset and BB and I will get it faced then. I am crossing my fingers.

The rear dropouts and hanger are true. I am still waiting for the part number for the replaceable hanger. That is something I like to have an extra on hand for emergencies. This is even more important to me if I can't stop by the LBS and find the right hanger.

The cable routing follows the bottom side of the top tube from the cockpit. The frame uses a top-pull front derailleur, so there are appropriate stops on the seat tube. Brake and rear derailleur stops are on the seat stays. I like that the cable routing is high which keeps them out of the water on creek crossings and keeps any chain slap from damaging the housing. They ship plastic clips to secure the brake line to the frame. I am using them, but I don't think they will stay on very long and will need to be replaced with zip-ties.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Not much left to do before my first ride. I still need to shorten the rear brake line and feed it through the stops along the top tube then bleed the line out. If your brake lines are the right length, you'll need to remove the shock to follow Sette's cable routing. Unfortunately, the manual included with the frame does not give any torque specs and they have not yet responded to my request for a technical manual. So I guess the customer who is building up this frame is on their own. I'm curious what this means for warranty claims. I also need to get the proper spacers and handlebar height since I do not want to cut the steerer down. They include a clear plastic sticker along the drive-side chainstay and call it a frame protector. As a matter of personal preference, I'll wrap an old inner tube in it's place. I don't think that sticker will help much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for posting all those pics. The frame looks like its worth the money quality wise. I'm debating over this frame or a Kona. Only downside to this frame is the 4'' travel. I'm normally more of a 5'' travel fan, and I don't care for the polished rear triangle, but I could always paint or powder coat it. One thing, are the logos under the clear or are they removable?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Unfortunately the logos are under the clear coat. I don't care much for the giant Sette on the downtube. I am a little unsure about the 4" travel as well. Most of my friends ride 5" or 5.5", but coming from a hardtail I think I will be okay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I ended up using Hayes Stroker Trail brakes. I had trouble getting one of the Avid brakes bled and ended up finding evidence of a leak in the caliper. Rode about 5 miles on it tonight chasing down a few stray creaks that weren't evident in the stand.

My first impressions on the trail are positive. I didn't notice any pedal bob and the bike climbs and descends nicely. I set the sag at 20% and I might firm it up bit. One of my concerns was the 4" travel was not enough, so I have will have to take a few rides to get everything dialed in.

All in all, I am pleased with what I got for the money. But, I probably won't be buying from Price Point any longer. They continue to ignore my requests for a service manual nor have they provided me with the torque specs and part numbers for the pivot bearings or the part number for the proper hanger. I would like to have a few spare parts on hand, but without knowing what to buy I am stuck. I do not like wondering what kind of support I will get if I have trouble, when they won't answer simple questions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Nice build post. My frame just broke today, I'm looking to buy this Sette as well. I want to go with a bigger suspension, but can't afford it right now since all my components will swap over to the derro nicely.

So how is your 4" travel holding up over rock gardens and drops? How do you like the rear shock? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The rear shock seems fine. I haven't noticed any pedal bob. The 4" travel is okay, set at 20% sag, I bottom out once or twice on a ride. It handles the biggest drops I routinely ride without complaining. Being used to a hardtrail, I still have the habit of picking the smoothest lines possible. The two trails I ride the most don't have any real rock gardens, just a few rock armored sections. We do have plenty of roots and the 4" travel is sufficient.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate View Post
    I ended up using Hayes Stroker Trail brakes. I had trouble getting one of the Avid brakes bled and ended up finding evidence of a leak in the caliper. Rode about 5 miles on it tonight chasing down a few stray creaks that weren't evident in the stand.

My first impressions on the trail are positive. I didn't notice any pedal bob and the bike climbs and descends nicely. I set the sag at 20% and I might firm it up bit. One of my concerns was the 4" travel was not enough, so I have will have to take a few rides to get everything dialed in.

All in all, I am pleased with what I got for the money. But, I probably won't be buying from Price Point any longer. They continue to ignore my requests for a service manual nor have they provided me with the torque specs and part numbers for the pivot bearings or the part number for the proper hanger. I would like to have a few spare parts on hand, but without knowing what to buy I am stuck. I do not like wondering what kind of support I will get if I have trouble, when they won't answer simple questions.
    I understand your frustration with pricepoint... they have always been good to me but I guess they cant please everyone. I would try this URL Sette Bikes - Adjust Your Thinking this is the official website for sette bikes hopefully they might be able to help you out.

I own the 2.0 and have loved it thus far. I still have the stock build but once parts start going out Ill upgrade then. I didnt have a torque guide either but I tighted the chain rear with touch and feel. It seems strong and after a few hundred miles under the bikes belt they havent needed any re-tighting. I have heard so many complaints about the Avid brakes and I honestly havent had a single problem yet. I did have to replace a tube on the rear and after I put the tire back on on lined it up I did get a weird high pitch sound coming from the rear caliper but after messing with it for 15 mins I got it to stop. Avids arent the best but they work for my type of XC riding. I like your build so far!!!

I wasnt sure about the 4" of travel either but after I took an 8' drop (on accident) I didnt bottom out the front or rear suspension, Fox makes great forks so Im guessing I can chock it up to a quality Fox fork build.

If you have any questions let me know, I just got back from Columbia on official business and didnt have internet, but Im back home now and can hopefully answer any thing you need.
    Put em away wet, ride hard!!!

mtbr member
    I stated chain rear I meant seat stay arms. sorry

mtbr member
    EMTNATE- I just read all your threads and everything sounds good, the plastic pieces have lasted for my brake lines but with the Arizona heat climbing up I dont think they will last long. Also I have to agree 100% about using an old tube as a chainstay protector. I put one on mine before my first ride and it has held up a lot better then the cheap plasic sticker they had on the bike. I am also using "Shelter" downtube protection as well. Just FYI...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyUSAF View Post
    I understand your frustration with pricepoint... they have always been good to me but I guess they cant please everyone. I would try this URL Sette Bikes - Adjust Your Thinking this is the official website for sette bikes hopefully they might be able to help you out.
    I tried using the contact links on the Sette page, but they ignored me as well. I'm happy with the product, but the support from both companies needs some serious improvement before I will every shop with them again.

When they finally responded to my posts on Facebook:

The pivot bolts should be torqued to 10 ft/lbs.
    For the bearings, use qty2-Enduro Max# 698 2RS Max, qty2-698 LLU MAX-E, and qty4-608 2RS MAX

Hanger is Wheels MFG #38

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Bought the Derro frame after my Giant Xtc Air cracked. It was an impulse buy after a couple days looking on ebay and not seeing anything I liked the price of.

Here is the build sheet.

Bottom Bracket:* raceface x-type
    Brake Levers:* shimano deore hydros
    Shifter R SRAM TRX 9 speed
    Cassette: Xtr 9 11-34
    Rotor F 160mm
    Rotor R 160mm
    Chain:* Sram 9 speed
    Crankset:* racefac evolve 32t/bashguard
    Derlr (Front) Jump Stop
    Derlr (Rear) shimano xt gs
    Shock fox float rp-2
    Fork: rockshox sid 120 rlt
    Grips: ergo
    Handlebar:* easton cf monkeylight
    Headset:* Cane Creek
    Pedals:* eggbeaters
    Seat:* wtb rocket v
    Seatpost:* sette carbon
    Stem:* truvativ stylo 70mm
    Tire (Front) KendaBlueGroove
    Tire (Rear): KendaKarma
    Tubes: home made latex/windex/slime
    Wheelset: easton xc one

Total weight clean is 26lbs.

I have had the bike since April 2012, and put a good 400 miles on it as of this post. I ride 2-3 times a week, raced once in an 8 hour event, and consider myself a casual/intermediate rider. I am also cheap. Everything on the bike other than the brakes and cranks was used/traded,etc.

The large frame is adequate for my size at 5'11, and 168lbs in gear. Could the medium fit too? Dunno, but it's too late to trade out the frame and see. The frame was a bit long, but the 70mm stem helped enough, and sliding the seat forward a bit. Hands got a bit sore and numb until I went with the ergo grips. Trying lot's of seat and handlebar positions until I work it out. It is tolerable unless I am on the bike for more than 3-4 hours at a time now.

4" of rear travel and the fox rp2 with propedal rides great at 110psi. The sid rlt 120 front pairs well, which I use 90% locked out with the floodgate wide open. This makes a stable "platform" that compresses well over roots, rocks, logs, and jumps up to about 3'-4'. I'll bypass anything larger than that (the bike would handle it, but I wouldn't). On longer downhill sections it's easily in reach to switch the suspension to open. On the climbs the "platform" does not noticeably bob.

Handling of this bike I can only compare to a giant xtc, an older specialized fsr, and a specialized m5 ht. Of all the bikes it is by far the tight feeling sports car; it corners and accelerates well, feels solid, and is quiet. When I do ride other bikes and get back on the derro I always feel like building this bike was a good decision.

Looks wise it's a fairly generic frame. Black and silver is pretty standard color scheme, but I could care less what it looks like. Already I have scratches, chips, and grime all over it, and that to me is what a happy bike looks like.

Pricepoint ignored my service request, but I still buy stuff from them. The bike didn't ship with the seatpost clamp, and I sent them an email with my order info asking them to send it to me. I never received a response. Instead just used the one off my Giant. Again, I am cheap. They don't have to have great customer service as long as the price is right.

Bottom line is I am happy with the bike as a whole. Would I buy it again? Maybe, depending on what ebay/craigslist/mtbr, etc had to offer. Do I recommend YOU buy it? Yes, just don't expect a lot of support from Pricepoint.

Note: older picture does not show the wtb seat or the ergo grips.

K
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Derro Builds-709.jpg  

Never Forget 9-11
    I had been looking for a FS frame for a back up bike and when Price Point put the Derro frame on sale I finally bit on one.It was my first crack at building a bike and took just a couple of hours. All components with the exception of the seatpost came off of a 07 Fuji Tahoe HT. A mix of SRAM X7/X9 shifters and deraileurs, Truvativ cranks, an old RockShox recon fork and some carbon bars. It stops with what may be one of the only sets of quiet non turkey gobble Juicy 3 brakes around I'll probably upgrade the components as time and money allow but I'm pleased with the ride and the frame. Couldn't beat it for the price.

It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

650b compatible

this frame seems interesting. does it look like you have enough room for 650bs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast