mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Derro as a 650b?

Has anybody with a derro tried to stick a 650 under it? Ive looked around and haven't seen much of anything about it

Is anybody willing to put up a picture of the tire clearance on the rear of the bike?

NedwannaB
    Doesn't work.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the info.

NedwannaB

Sure, no prob

Yeah I looked into getting the Ace awhile ago, which is the previous model, then the Derro to run a 650 conversion build. They are a great value and the Derro has a better set of bushings and shock on it then did the Ace.

You can certainly get one (unless you have already one thus the 650 inquirey) and put a 650 wheel on up front and have a great multi-use bike. I almost got one last spring to do just that with the biggest 26" tyre I could fit in back (hoping a WTB WW LT 2.55 or at least the Wolv 2.2) but decided to get a Reken which is setup 650B SS, and an alum Razzo 29r frame to build up as my geared, mileage bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah I have been wanting to get the Derro since it came out, but work has been too crappy for me to justify buying one. Now that I have some money saved up and been looking again, was kind of wanting to try the bigger wheels. Seems the 650 is a nice mix of the 26 and 29.

I have a Reken I've been riding for a few years now, but the fork I'm running wont fit a 650. I have a hard time justifying putting the money into the Reken when I think my back would appreciate the Derro for the squish in the rear.

NedwannaB
    Yeah, I hear you. If you were serious on the 650, for ~$50 more you can get a SC Superlight frame direct from their site which are rr conversionable and would be a better deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks, gives me more to think about.

mtbr member
    Or you could squeak a 650b in there anyway, the way Cutbert did in posts 41 and 43 of this thread. Talk about your Sette Derro 2.0... Pics / Discussion / ???

Looks like a tight fit but it's in there. I don't know about seat tube rub. It's his wife's bike, so if she's 90# running moderate shock pressure, she may not be using full travel.
    Looking for the person who tapped and pinned a set of Shimano A530 pedals - can't find the thread! Shoot me a PM. Thanks!

mtbr member
    It's works, I let all of the air out of the shock and the swing arm stops before the tire hit the cable retainer on the seat tube. Also, I have the shocks set up for her weight, I weigh a good 60 lbs more than her and have ridden her bike, bottomed out the shock without rubbing.
    Again that photo is a Vee Mission 2.1 tire. It's a fairly large tire casing with small knobs, the Kenda Nevegal 2.1 will also fit. I don't have it pictured because it's mounted up front.
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

mtbr member
    Oh, and I've been running this setup on my Trek Fuel EX for about three months, a good 200+ miles on it. I have less clearance on it than I do on the Derro; no problems there either, I love the ride so much better than when it was a 26r.
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!