Thread: Derro 2.0?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Derro 2.0?

anyone on here bought a Derro 2.0? I have yet to find a review online and looking to see what someone with some experience on the bike has to say about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    75 views and no one has a reply?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    We're all wondering too!?

mtbr "member"

just got mine today

Details on the bike is amazing! seems well made and thought out. No ride yet but I assembled it and it weighs in at 28 lbs 7 oz without pedals.

I won't be reporting back on the stock ride though. I'm getting ready to switch out a bunch of parts. I have a Voodoo steel hard tail I just built up thinking I wanted to get back to my hard tail roots. It turns out I've gotten soft in my old age and realized, hard tails hurt. So this is my replacement "value" XC bike. But I have to say, I'm very pleased at the quality of bike that arrived. We'll see how much weight I drop putting my components on the frame. All the Derro parts are going on the hardtail and then to a new home.

Not sure if posting a review after the swap would even help you though.

REEk

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What size did you end up getting?

mtbr "member"
    I bought the medium. I'm 5' 10" and 200lbs, which I carry mostly in my quads....

got the bike down to 26 lbs and 5 oz. The Deore crank and cheapo bottom bracket were anchors. My wheels I built with WTB hubs is significantly lighter than the Cross rides.

Anyway, got my first ride in today. After almost 15 yrs of gradually increasing travel up to 8 inches and getting into down hill, moving back to XC, my opinion is a bit biased. Bike feels firm. Almost too firm. The rear shock seems over (compression) damped. It seems to be a 2 inch stroke shock with 4 inch travel so pretty sensitive to any changes with that ratio. I set the air pressure to 150 psi (odd since 200 psi us my usual on all of my previous bikes except my Rocky ETSX). Even at 150 psi, seems really stiff. I'm assuming the shock needs to be broken in. i guess I'm used to the plushness of my other bikes.

All in all, at $1500 after shipping and wonderful California tax, I'm very happy with my purchase. Very nice quality on the frame, the geometry and ride reminds me of the days when I went on all day rides pedalling the entire time. Reminds me why I love biking.

I bought this bike as a "economy" bike to take to work and travel with while not worry about getting it stolen. It may be the "new bike syndrome" but I almost like riding it more than my Marin I just dropped $2500 on. Almost.

Now I just have to unload my hardtail, which was ther recipient of the parts off the Derro.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    How does the pedal bob feel on it with no propedal or lock out?

mtbr "member"

I thought it had propedal

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrace82 View Post
    How does the pedal bob feel on it with no propedal or lock out?
    The rear shock is a float r. The body says compression is set in the middle of the 3 settings and rebound tune is also in the middle.

But whether it has propedal or not, there's no bob. And I mean ABSOLUTELY no bob. Standing and cranking uphill can get alittle movement out of the rear but it's very controlled. I'm not sure if that because it's heavily compression damped or if I still have the shock over pressurized. I had the bike on ride #3 and the rear shock is now down to 120 psi and it still is tough to move. I did the old "bunny hop around the parking lot" test and "curb drop" test and the shock still only compresses about 1/2 way. at 100 psi, it gives too easily. I don't think its a shock malfunction.

I'll keep playing around with it. I'm sure it's just a matter of breaking in the shock and a bit of fine tuning. Hopefully, as more Derro riders post, they can help with the rear shock pressures.

The Mud Stud
    What is your sag set at? I wonder what the ramp up rate of the shock is, and whether that is causing the strange results you are getting. How well does it take the bumps and ride overall?

mtbr "member"
    OK, so heres my update on my Derro. Hopefully this makes sense as I'm 3 Lagunitas in after my ride today.

So, I finally have the shock set at about 50-55% of my body weight. The shock is bedding in and is alot less "over - compression damped" than new. Definitely a different ride than my 120mm travel Marin, but again, I've probably forgotten what a 100mm bike is supposed to feel like. No rediculous bobbing when pedalling up hill, enough give to make me forget I'm over 40. And the geometry feels nice for fast rolling XC trails.

So the only issues I've had so far is the drop out pivot bolts loosened. Its been re torqued and no issues so far. The only other issue is a flexible rear end. Now, I weigh 200 lbs and have a habit of grinding up hills in middle ring and middl(ish) rear ring. I've been getting the right chainstay flexing enough to hit the crank arm as I'm pedalling up hill. None of the pivots seem loose and there's no play in the rear triangle. Maybe its the XTR M952 crank I have on the bike and I need a different bottom bracket. But the clearance from the swing arm and crank is still about 2 cm, so as far as I can tell, that's a lot of flex. Again, I'm not going to blame the frame as it could be the old XTR crank.

Otherwise, the bike reminds me of a better XC bike from the early 90's. Probably appropriate since it is a basic single pivot / linkage suspension design. Overall, nice bike. I've been riding it more than my Marin recently, maybe the honeymoon period for a new bike, I don't know.

bottom line, is it worth the $1299 + shipping (+tax)? I'd say yes. considering what other major brands offer in terms of parts for $1299, the Derro 2.0 is very competitive in spec. The fox front fork and rear shock alone keeps it in the running. Plus, not many 4 inch travel XC bikes to choose from so it is one of the few players in that segment. It's not a trail bike but a light weight (mine is down to 26 lbs) XC bike so I don't expect it to be as solid. This is a bike that you build up to be light, ride on rolling single track, avoid big drops and have fun. I haven't raced in over 10 years but I would have killed for a bike like this back then as my racing bike. All in all, it's better than I expected and considering Pricepoint/Sette seems to be making good on most warrantee issues, I would buy it again.

mtbr member
    I have just about 30 miles on this bike, I have rode many bikes double the price and so far she is stands up to those bikes if not better IMO! The fox suspension is perfect for all mountain riding, you get 4 inch of travel and ive taken her off of 4-6' drops and the fox suspension hasnt bottomed out yet....(cant go wrong with any Fox forks.) Ive priced all new bikes available for a long time now and in this price range this bike 2.0 is speced out the best.

As stated before the rear suspension is a 2009 model, and the front fork is a 2011. People stated on here that they couldnt understand why a 2009 but regardless this rear end HAS NO BOB WHAT SO EVER!!! I ride fairly hard and this bike holds its own like a hardtail but soaks up the ruts/bumps without you even feeling it move. Ive rode lots of different model bikes up and down the price chain and so far this bike feels like a $3000 bike. I wouldnt buy this bike if your looking to bomb anything to big (4 inch travel doesnt give you alot of room) but if you want a good all around rig thatll make trail riding fun she is the one! If you have any more questions let me know.

mtbr member
    Hey man, thanks for posting your experience with the derro. I'm hoping to pick one up soon myself to try dual suspension. You said there is little to no suspension bob, does that include when pedaling out of the saddle, and do you run it with propedal on or off to acheive this? Is there any brake lock or brake jack from the rear suspension? Also have you experienced much rear triangle flex? Thanks again! End Quote!!! Sorry man since I just signed up on here it wont let me reply.
    No bob in and out of saddle. The propedal is set at the factory for each specific bike, to change you would have to take to a auth Fox rep or risk doing it yourself but after research this doesnt look easy. I havent experienced any brake lock or brake jack at all, not sure why someone would have had this issue unless they had A LEMON. The rear traingle is solid now to be fair to some people I only weight a total of 175lbs with my gear on and I stand about 5'8" 5'9" and I ride the 17"... Keep in mind most reviews for the Avid 3's suck but I have not had one problem from my ride after putting the bike together to the 30 mile mark and believe me I put a hard 30 miles on this bike!!! Just like anything, I think the people with the issues either didnt have the bike together properly or they got a lemon either in parts or bike itself. Again I have rode alot of bikes through the years some that cost more than my first car, but Im pretty sure Im sold on the Sette brand and am looking at a 29er from them in the next year or so.

The Mud Stud
    Thanks for posting so much info. I aim to get it soon. What bike does it most compare to that you have previously ridden?

mtbr member
    Honestly I would have to say an older Yeti XC. The yeti has an overall better spec range for twice the money... but more bang for the buck the derro 1.0/2.0 you cant go wrong! Make sure when you get it you let us know. Post some pics and your experience riding. I really think in the next few years Sette is going to make a bigger name for themselves, the only downfall is... if they get big the price will too. Check me out in the next few days Ill have my pics of when I just put the bike together 10 mins out of the box too a good dirty ride pic!!! Good luck with the bike and now I have enough posts to IM so let me know if you have any other questions!
    Put em away wet, ride hard!!!

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyUSAF View Post
    Honestly I would have to say an older Yeti XC. The yeti has an overall better spec range for twice the money... but more bang for the buck the derro 1.0/2.0 you cant go wrong! Make sure when you get it you let us know. Post some pics and your experience riding. I really think in the next few years Sette is going to make a bigger name for themselves, the only downfall is... if they get big the price will too. Check me out in the next few days Ill have my pics of when I just put the bike together 10 mins out of the box too a good dirty ride pic!!! Good luck with the bike and now I have enough posts to IM so let me know if you have any other questions!
    Well on my part, and I'm sure the entire MTBR community, welcome to MTBR, and thank you for being so helpful in just your first few posts!

mtbr member
    No worries, when I shop for a product I like to see customer reviews... The customer reviews probably sell me 99% of the time! Some products get a bad rap, or no rap at all. The Sette Derro has no reviews (well mine now) on this website so I wanted to rate it for all to see, I know alot of us are strapped for money and since this product has surpassed my expectations I wanted to blow them up a little hopefully to get the name out there. I am in no way paid by or endorsing them as an affiliate... just a weekend rider who enjoys the fresh air, a good 5' drop and smoking guys on 3 grand bikes...lol didnt mean to offend anyone! Thanks for the welcome!

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyUSAF View Post
    No worries, when I shop for a product I like to see customer reviews... The customer reviews probably sell me 99% of the time! Some products get a bad rap, or no rap at all. The Sette Derro has no reviews (well mine now) on this website so I wanted to rate it for all to see, I know alot of us are strapped for money and since this product has surpassed my expectations I wanted to blow them up a little hopefully to get the name out there. I am in no way paid by or endorsing them as an affiliate... just a weekend rider who enjoys the fresh air, a good 5' drop and smoking guys on 3 grand bikes...lol didnt mean to offend anyone! Thanks for the welcome!
    I am slightly curious, have you ridden any fsr or floating pivot point suspension systems to compare the derro setup to? I've heard a ton of propaganda on suspension systems, and read a lot on the different technologies, but in the field, that's where it counts after all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    I am slightly curious, have you ridden any fsr or floating pivot point suspension systems to compare the derro setup to? I've heard a ton of propaganda on suspension systems, and read a lot on the different technologies, but in the field, that's where it counts after all.
    I think the designs are good no matter what you get... alot of detail/science goes into bike geometry and I think the main thing to look at is each brand is trying to have their own design and what makes their bike stand out or different. My honest opinion is they all work basically for the same function to soak up bumps, ect. I have rode different types and bottom line in "dirtyusaf" opinion is the rear shock makes all the difference. For example put a low end Rock shox Bar on your bike ride it for the day and turn around and ride a Fox RP2, I would almost bet you will get a totally different ride with the Fox higher end suspension then the Rock shox. You can only invent the wheel so many times before you realize its still a wheel. Like I tell everyone, ride as many different bikes as you can because only you will know what feels the best. Hope that helps.

mtbr "member"

I think this is a solid bike for the price

Hey man, sorry I haven't been able to log on and answer your PM's. Works been trying to make sure I never see day light again.

Anyway, I'm glad there's finally someone else with some ride time on the bike.

In terms of the Flex I'm seeing on my bike, I'm going to put some newer cranks on and I'm going to guess, THAT's going to be the culprit since the rear doesn't feel flexy at all when riding and for the cranks to hit the chain stay, thats a LOT of flex which I just don't feel.

I hope the following doesn't start a suspension design/benefit discussion but...
    I've owned multiple FSRs, countless Marins, RM ETSX, Giants and several others with a horst links or variations of virtual pivots. For a large portion of your riding, if you're having fun and don't need a famous brand painted on the bike, the few benefits of the more involved suspension design these days are probably not going to be significant. Now that shock damping and technology has gotten so good, they can make even the simplest single pivot behave acceptably. Yes, there's brake jack and more pedal kick back but I don't ever remember that really ruining my ride. Components can make a difference though. So like DIRTYUSAF stated, you won't go wrong with either the 1.0 or 2.0. They're decent frames that feels well built, no major flaws, efficient climber and now that I've made peace with the rear suspension, well behaved.

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by Reek View Post
    Hey man, sorry I haven't been able to log on and answer your PM's. Works been trying to make sure I never see day light again.

Anyway, I'm glad there's finally someone else with some ride time on the bike.

In terms of the Flex I'm seeing on my bike, I'm going to put some newer cranks on and I'm going to guess, THAT's going to be the culprit since the rear doesn't feel flexy at all when riding and for the cranks to hit the chain stay, thats a LOT of flex which I just don't feel.

I hope the following doesn't start a suspension design/benefit discussion but...
    I've owned multiple FSRs, countless Marins, RM ETSX, Giants and several others with a horst links or variations of virtual pivots. For a large portion of your riding, if you're having fun and don't need a famous brand painted on the bike, the few benefits of the more involved suspension design these days are probably not going to be significant. Now that shock damping and technology has gotten so good, they can make even the simplest single pivot behave acceptably. Yes, there's brake jack and more pedal kick back but I don't ever remember that really ruining my ride. Components can make a difference though. So like DIRTYUSAF stated, you won't go wrong with either the 1.0 or 2.0. They're decent frames that feels well built, no major flaws, efficient climber and now that I've made peace with the rear suspension, well behaved.
    It seems that platform hydraulics in shocks have come a very long way from the days when I first started riding, where the ONLY viable answer was something like a floating pivot point or elevated pivot. I remember the giant NRS for that matter...man that was a strange bike. Cant believe today that I almost bought that thing at one point. Anyway its all good man, thanks for answering my questions. Currently I ride a hardtail with components either better than or equal to the derro 1.0 so overall its a nice component spec. Coming from years of a hardtail background pedaling efficiency is the most important thing. I take it this is a active and not semi active suspension system though right? (discounting brake jack). What size frames do you guys ride? I'm curious on the weight of the bikes too, I'm used to my hardtail that weighs about 24.5 lbs. Again thanks for all your help. Thanks to you guys I may finally enter the dual suspension arena!

mtbr "member"

nice transition

It seems that platform hydraulics in shocks have come a very long way from the days when I first started riding, where the ONLY viable answer was something like a floating pivot point or elevated pivot. I remember the giant NRS for that matter...man that was a strange bike. Cant believe today that I almost bought that thing at one point. Anyway its all good man, thanks for answering my questions. Currently I ride a hardtail with components either better than or equal to the derro 1.0 so overall its a nice component spec. Coming from years of a hardtail background pedaling efficiency is the most important thing. I take it this is a active and not semi active suspension system though right? (discounting brake jack). What size frames do you guys ride? I'm curious on the weight of the bikes too, I'm used to my hardtail that weighs about 24.5 lbs. Again thanks for all your help. Thanks to you guys I may finally enter the dual suspension arena!

I think if you're a hardtail rider, this will be a nice full suspension to start with. Nice firm pedalling without bob and light (got mine about a pound or two lower than stock). I think if you want to add labels, this is not considered fully active because there is brake effect on the suspension travel. I'm 5 10 and medium fits perfectly.

And I used to ride the cr@p out of my NRS, loved it! Once you figure out the set up for the top out suspension design, it's great! The old Rockshox rear shock that came on that was garbage. I ended up putting a Cane Creek AD12, perfect!!! That's probably when I started wanting more travel and was dropping off 3-4 footers with the NRS. Surprised it didnt snap and I didn't kill my self.

REEK

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm just surprised a bike like Derro 2.0 with a awesome setup and price has no pro reviews at all! I think ill just buy one to find out by myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by triglyceride View Post
    I'm just surprised a bike like Derro 2.0 with a awesome setup and price has no pro reviews at all! I think ill just buy one to find out by myself.
    The Derro model whether 1.0 or 2.0 is fairly new to the game so its not unusual that the reviews are scarce. I do know that Sette has pro riders but wondering myself why they havent posted. I do know that money is tight for me and I wanted a bike with mid range parts and like Ive said in my other posts on the 2.0 thread I created this bike has a lot of bang for the buck. I will admit that some parts like the cranks are cheap and the crossride hubs are garbage but those are pretty cheap easy upgrades.

I compared bike locally and online for over 6 months and not one major brand in this price range had anything close to what Sette is offering. The fox fork and rear shock almost cost what you pay for the whole bike... cant beat that!!!

A few posts on here have mentioned that the rear suspension is stiff and that is 100% true only for the first few hundred miles, once you break it in it is nice a plush BUT I have yet to have a bob in the rear. I like that fact more than anything, most FS bikes Ive owned had bad bob no matter what rear shock was on the bike. I really hope Sette gets a their name out there more but still keeps the prices low like they have.

I love my 2.0 but I think Im going to get on the 29er band wagan and purchase one this winter. Im looking at getting the Sette Razo SC X7. Again Ive reviewed the 29ers for a long time and again Sette has sold me on parts and frame for a great price. Once I get the 29er Ill start up another blog and let you all know how good this bike will be.