LWP
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Decisions, decisions...

Disclaimer: I'm not asking for someone to make a decision for me, just thought a little input might give me some things to consider that I hadn't thought of. I've already done the basic researching and beer-enhanced soul searching stuff that is usually recommended as the starting place.

I've been planning on a new mtb this year for a while now, I'm putting the 26" HT out to pasture. It's served me well but is getting a little tired. Taking a long, serious look at what I do, I'm about 70% roadie, 30% mtb. That 30% mtb time is divided to about 2/3 - 3/4 in areas that would be well suited to the Razzo and 1/4 - 1/3 in areas that would be well suited to the Flite.

The Razzo would be the practical, the majority of my mtb time is XC that serves as cross training for my road riding. The Flite would be the fun. Even though it's by far the minority of my riding time, the areas where I would want that bike are generally where I'm relaxing, forgetting about training and numbers and just having a good time.

One of each isn't a financial option this season and next year has already been bookmarked for a new road bike so it really does come down to a decision. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by LWP; 04-12-2010 at 05:24 AM.

mtbr member
    I have the Flite and planning on getting the Razzo in the near future. Both are quite different animals and you seem aware of that.

What's the question again?

LWP
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not really a question, just deciding if I want to tiptoe through (and in some instances avoid) the rough stuff on the Razzo or lug the Flite around on the XC trails so I have it when I want/need it.

mtbr member
    You're basically stuck right in the middle. My Flite is the do-it-all bike. I XC it, rock garden it and do some fun descents with it.

If you decide to get the Flite make sure you convert the Domain fork to u-turn spring to make the XC days easier. It's a quick cheap mod.

Though the Flite can be made lighter it's not worth dumping the money going weight-weenie on it. The bike was never made to be super light. Ride it for a few days you'll realize why it weights in the lower to middle 30's. It feels tough as nails. The Domain is basically a free ride fork, the mavic wheels are wide and tough and the frame is pretty burly.

The Razzo has an undeniable appeal. I never considered a 29er until I saw it. It looks beautiful and the parts are untouchable for the price.

So basically the Flite is not the best bike for everything, but it sure can do everything and it does it very well too. Tough choice for you though.

FWIW, I can do climbs on my Flite that I was never able to do on my HT.

LWP
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There's not really any DH or serious Freeride locally and no major climbs, just a lot of rocky drops to play on when you stray off of the trails. Just about everything else is non-technical trails, cut roads and things like that. There's never a time on the local trails when you have to deal with drops and jumps if you don't want to... sometimes I just want to.

mtbr member
    Look into the Ace.

LWP
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, I was kinda thinking about that too. The Ace is better spec'd than, and about the same weight as, my current HT bike and I haven't broke anything on my current bike yet (other than some spokes on the stock wheels before I replaced them) so maybe it would be a good middle-ground choice.

Cuánto pesa?
    ]

Go hardtail_______Go PHANTOM

LWP
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I really don't want a carbon mtb. I'm not carbon paranoid, my road bike is carbon, I'm just not careful enough for it offroad. If I see something I want to try, I try it. Sometimes it turns out that I shouldn't have tried it. Me bouncing through the rocks after a fail is one thing, my carbon bike bouncing through those rocks would be upsetting though. I'm not a racer, I'd rather lug around a few more lbs. on the trails and not have to take the frame material into consideration when deciding to do or not do something. Unless I go with the 29er, which I'm having doubts about now, my next bike will definitely be FS.

mtbr member
    Still think they Ace is what you're looking for. Not heavy. Can be made lighter. Durable and some people are racing them. So I guess it can take a bit of beating. I'm not a fan of the 302 Tora fork though. Though should have at least used the 318.

AZ
    banned
    FWIW , if you havent ridden any 29ers you need to before you make a decision . I have em all , 26ers , hardtails , squishy bikes , you name it and I ride my hardtail 29er 95% of the time . Good luck .