mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Chainline Issues on Reken

I took my Reken to the LBS today to have my cranks put on, Shimano M-532, and the mechanic said that my frame was not designed to use an external bearing bottom bracket. My chainline is not correct and he said I will have shifting/rubbing issues and he said the only way to really fix the issue was to get a different frame. I bought my Reken in 2008 and noticed recently Sette did a color change with the frame, I was wondering if this bottom bracket issue has been fixed. I really like my Reken but I think it might be time to get a better frame, it rides nice but some things really bug me. I noticed when I got it that the top tube is slightly bowed, not bad, but enough to annoy me. Also my front der. sits between the water bottle mounts and now my chainline is messed up. Does anyone else have chainline or any other issues with their Reken?

mtbr member
    No chain line issues for me but I dont run a front derailleur. You should be able to get it working by playing around with the spacers on the bb.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    This doesn't sound right. Outboard bearing bottom brackets were designed to fit existing bottom bracket shells. Either your frame is defective or your mechanic doesn't know what he is doing.

mtbr member
    You do say that the top tube is slightly bowed. Does that mean your whole frame is actually bent? If it was like that from the beginning I would have sent it back. Even now you should be able to send it back for a new frame. The frame being bent could be the reason why you cant get it to work correctly.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    6061 frames must be heat treated after welding, this can warp the tubes. The frame could have a bowed tube and still be in alignment theoretically, but if you can actually see a bow I would try to get a replacement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The bow in the top tube is very slight, almost not noticeable and the frame seems fine. My cranks have to go IN to get good chainline and shimano's BB bearings must have at least one spacer on the drive side, without that one spacer the non-drive side bearing cannot thread in enough so i can't move those around. I trust that mechanic so I know he did everything to try to fix it. Many Specialized bikes that I looked at have the same cranks/BB i do and their chainline is dead on so wtf is up with my bike. This isn't really that big of an issue, i can live with kinda poor shifting, but it's really bugging me. It's a standard 68mm shell and external bearings are meant to work with pre-existing bottom bracket shells. I might have to call specialized and see how they get their bikes setup properly. I will also call Sette and ask about a replacement too. Thanks for your input guys.

mtbr member
    Perhaps you should face the BB?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm not sure that would help, my chainline is off by almost 10mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have attached the info for the bottom bracket installation. If your shell is really offset by 10mm you would be able to see that and easily make a rough measurement comapred to another bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chainline Issues on Reken-shimanobb.png  

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    I have been using shimano Hones with zero problems. For the record, I bought my frame in 08/09 and it's an 18" frame. I can post pics if necessary. Just pm me.