Lanzolot

Anyone with a Razzo 1.0?

I have a '10 Razzo which is equivalent to the current 2.0. I have been thinking of moving to the 1.0, but hesitant to pull the trigger. It will cost me ~700$ out of pocket if I sell my other bike. Probably not worth it, but that hasn't stopped me from thinking about it for the past two months.
    Currently my big issue/concern is the brakes. I have not been able to adjust them myself. Last year I lived with the rear one rubbing on the rotor all season, I tried and tried to adjust it myself but could not get one of the pistons in.
    So I brought it to the LBS at the start of this season and they did manage to adjust the piston and bleed them, but now that brake fades during the ride and if I transport the bike wheelie style on the bike wheel the brake is completely gone, but comes back after a several pumps.
    These brakes use be great, aside from the rub, stop on a dime and quiet, but that's changed since the tune.
    After writing this it seems obvious that I should bring it back to the LBS to relook at it. Something is not right.
    Back to my original question, how are the brakes on the 1.0 (SLX) and while I'm at it how is the rest of the shimano set. I have always been happy with their stuff in the past
    Last edited by themacsmith; 07-23-2011 at 06:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This doesn't directly answer your question but it sounds like you have a brake issue not a bike issue. Maybe the cheaper direction would be to upgrade the brakes? Personally I haven't liked any pneumatic brakes yet, I still prefer mechanical discs which for me seem to have better bite and feel. Pneumatics seem to be more 'light switch'.

BB7's maybe?

Lanzolot
    I came to the same conclusion by the end of the posting, but decided to leave the post as is. The bike is back at the LBS to re-bleed them. When they worked correctly I did like them, my issue is/was I couldn't seem to adjust them myself. Maybe for that reason I should go mechanical, but was wondering if the SLX were better.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    To be honest BB7s are great brakes. Not as good as hydraulic XTRs or XX's but for how cheap and how easy to adjust they are makes them great brakes for the money. just make sure you get nice levers with them like Avid's speed dial ultimate http://www.sram.com/avid/products/sp...ultimate-lever.

Ps, I've used XX and BB7s on the same bike at the same time (XX front BB7 rear) and the BB7 could lock up my rear wheel w/o any problem, it gave me nice modulation too, however where the XX brake beat the BB7 was how "in-tune" with the bike i felt. With the XX i knew right where i would loose traction in the brake stroke whereas all of a sudden the BB7 would lock up. But, if you were looking at a Razzo I assume you do XC riding primarily so the BB7 would be adequate and save you hundreds.

mtbr member
    I LOVE my BB7's! Yes, I truly love them. These are the best brakes I have owned. Extremely easy to adjust and they are a perfect match to any XC/Trail bike. They are also quiet! I'm thinking about replacing my Elixir 5's with BB7's on another bike as well. Like previous posters, I highly recommend them.