mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Ace: Pictures, Opinions, Suggestions

OK,

After a bad get off on the motocross track resulting in a collapsed lung, bruised kidney, ridiculously black eye, bruised adrenal gland, among other things this past week, I (well mostly my parents) have decided to find another hobby and take my mx racing down a notch.

My mom has agreed to split the cost of a decent xc bike with me, and I have settled upon the sette ace. I purchased a 2001 P3 in January which introduced me to the mtb world. Where I ride mostly (central PA), it is more tailored to xc riding. The P3 was ok for riding every once in a while(was not the best choice for xc trails), but I want to begin riding more often. I feel this bike will be the perfect fit to introduce myself to the xc world.

Those of you that have one, what do you feel are the strong/weak points. I will be making my purchase in a few weeks (need to go back to work next week and save a few paychecks) and am pretty excited about it.

How are the components that come with the bike, mainly the fork and rear shock. Also, how many of you xc riders actually find yourself using the big front chainring? I ask because I have made some pretty sweet looking bash guards that I recently got back from annodizing and would like to fit one on my new ace. Also, are the pedals that come with it stock platform pedals or clip-in pedals?

I prefer platform pedals over clip-ins(although I have never ridden clip-ins), but how much of an advantage are the clip pedals over platform for xc riding. Do any xc riders use platform pedals?

Post up pictures of your sette's and what you have done with them.

Thanks,

Tim
    Last edited by T174M; 05-20-2010 at 07:16 PM.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    1. i race the crap out of my ace and its awesome!
    2. bought mine as a frame.
    3. ride a two ring setup that eliminates the smallring.
    4. i love my clip-in's! there a lot better for xc, if you plan to do mostly descents then platforms are fine but if you are gonna do xc the advantages are outstanding.

since the pictures ive changed the grips and seatpost. it 23lbs 12oz
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sette Ace XC - Race Worthy?

All the info you need; non of the redundancy.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    but mines the nicest
    RAH!

mtbr member
    faceless definitely has the nicest looking Ace I've seen. The blue on white looks very good.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    thank you
    its got a new seatpost that has red and white graphics on it and has white grips.
    i dont think there is much else i could do to it...
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the link to that thread. Pretty much finalizes the deal for me. Facelessfools, that is a pretty good looking bike. I'll probably keep mine stock for the most part, and upgrade as things break/feel uncomfortable..I have the motocross bike to keep looking pretty, I could care less how my mtb looks.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    mine was built with weight performance and budget more so then looks. it just happens to look good in the process. considering none of the parts are "stock" i got to pick and choose colors.
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    How does the flight handle xc type riding? I have a lot of xc riding around here, but wouldn't mind being able to bomb down some of the dh trails without worrying about something happening. Is the flight decent uphill, and does the suspension lockout on it or no?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by T174M
    How does the flight handle xc type riding? I have a lot of xc riding around here, but wouldn't mind being able to bomb down some of the dh trails without worrying about something happening. Is the flight decent uphill, and does the suspension lockout on it or no?
    The Flite is a do-it-all bike. does everything well but not perfect. I use mine mostly for XC and rough trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    The Flite is a do-it-all bike. does everything well but not perfect. I use mine mostly for XC and rough trails.

Nice. I have been swaying more towards this bike now. Seems my destructive habits won't be able to destroy it as easily. A purpose built xc bike would be nice, but I often find myself attempting to fly (usually crash) down some trails that I'm not sure how a xc bike would hold up.

Coming from riding a 2001 78 pound 9 speed p3 on xc trails, I'm sure the flight would still be a whole lot better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by T174M
    Nice. I have been swaying more towards this bike now. Seems my destructive habits won't be able to destroy it as easily. A purpose built xc bike would be nice, but I often find myself attempting to fly (usually crash) down some trails that I'm not sure how a xc bike would hold up.

Coming from riding a 2001 78 pound 9 speed p3 on xc trails, I'm sure the flight would still be a whole lot better.
    The Flite shock has platform which reduces the bob. Helps a lot with the climbs.
    Last edited by Dictatorsaurus; 05-26-2010 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well, I'm now looking at the jamis xct 2.0 as price point is out of the flight in a large, and won't be getting anymore as these models are discontinued and new ones are coming out in October they said.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hmmm new settes ..interesting
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Talking about shock. Yesterday at night I managed to get my Sette Ace 95% ready, just need to mount the derailleurs and chain. Anyway, I tested the sock's sag with all the lever positions and got around 30% on all of them. I thought the "max gate" position should gave me a stiffer shock. I didn't dialled the shock to my weight yet, was just doing some random test. Should I be concerned?
    Sette Ace Custom

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    some shocks i know have a feature to them that maintains your sag until it is extended out. like my magura fork, i can push it in to max travel then lock it out and it will remain like that till i get off of it and let it extend back. try setting it at 25 to 20%
    RAH!

"They Call Me Bone'z"

RAH!

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    Frame: sette ace med
    Fork: magura menja 130mm
    Shock: RS monarch 3.3
    Bottle cage: sette carbon
    Headset: woodman
    Stem: sette edge 110mm
    Handlebar: easton ec 90
    Shifters: SRAM X9