mtbr member
    Aug 2009

14" reken frame arrived today

3 lbs 13.5 oz according to my food scale - not sure how accurate that is lol

mtbr member
    Looking forward to this build.

mtbr member
    Nice, we require bigger pictures.

I have never seen a red Reken, most people go for the black.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

red is purty

here some pics - sry im not very good with the camera

im real excited! when i was a kid i wanted to get a bmx frame & get a bike going, but i had no monies & it never happened... well now im a grown up!! & ill do what i want...well, actually, i still have no monies... but i think i can make it happen. anyway, im excited like a lil kid

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by nathenyoung
    Im real excited! when i was a kid i wanted to get a bmx frame & get a bike going, but i had no monies & it never happened... well now im a grown up!! & ill do what i want...well, actually, i still have no monies... but i think i can make it happen. anyway, im excited like a lil kid
    You by chance have a list of components for this build?

If you come across any trouble, be sure and ask for help

mtbr member
    He's buying the parts as he goes along. This thread will be useful for picking the right components.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

mailman came today !

i got this used '06 R7 - i hope it works

i hope to have it ready by fall. Im picking up used parts as i see 'em/can afford them. well , thats it for now... have to stack up more bike loot & research cranks -

budget is my #1 priority - but man i would love for this thing to be under 30lbs - i just hope its not a porker

i think i got lucky with this fork - everything seems stupid expensive so its mostly going to be a used or a pricepoint/sette affair as far as parts go

mtbr member
    I expect the build to be easily under 30lbs. Probably even under 25lbs.

mtbr member
    I have that same fork, but the current model and it is white. It is a very nice for, and works very well for me.

My 18 inch Reken 26 pounds, so depending on what you get for your bike you might be close to that. I dont want to say you will be under 26 pounds because I spent a good bit of money even getting that light, and there is still more to go.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nice.. I thought rekens weighd a bit more than that though, i though they were in the 4 pound range

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildkyle90
    Nice.. I thought rekens weighd a bit more than that though, i though they were in the 4 pound range

This is a 14" frame (small).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    This is a 14" frame (small).
    yeah the 18 inch which would be average is about 3/4 of a pound heavier than the 14 inch, but it does have 4 inches more of aluminum so its to be expected.

Its still not as light as a carbon frame or even the Edge Frame.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    For $80 you can't beat that price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    yep if i were ever to build a sette hardtail id go edge

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildkyle90
    yep if i were ever to build a sette hardtail id go edge
    If I ever replace my frame, or build a really light bike the Edge is on the top of my list. If I can ever get to a light enough weight there could be a Phantom in the future.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    If I ever replace my frame, or build a really light bike the Edge is on the top of my list. If I can ever get to a light enough weight there could be a Phantom in the future.
    Id love to have a carbon bike, but the cost of lightweight parts that match such quality and lightness of frames would be over my budget haha. i have other hobbies too, and i try to distribute them evenly hahahaha

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice. Thanks for sharing. I've got my 16" Reken waiting for me at home. I can't wait to get home and open the package.

How tall are you? I'm 5'6 without shoes and went with the 16" frame. I hope the frame is not too big for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ^warning^
    Nice. Thanks for sharing. I've got my 16" Reken waiting for me at home. I can't wait to get home and open the package.

How tall are you? I'm 5'6 without shoes and went with the 16" frame. I hope the frame is not too big for me.
    Should be no problem. You can always use a short stem/longer stem if you need to, along with riser or flat bar to get things just right!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

im small

im 5'5" with shoes & like 140lbs with clothes & gear & soaked lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Wheels

man wheels are expensive!!
    BUT
    i found '08 easton xc two on sale for $210. brand new, claimed 1870g & disc holes!!

everything else in that price did not have holes for discs & weighed like 2200g plus.
    quick question?? forks says QR, i think frame says QR & wheelset says QR - wheelset came with these QR skewers but could i use just bolt on ones? is that ok?? like the srew on ones?

AZ
    banned
    Bolt on skewers ? Or are you trying to use nuts ? Bolt on skewers will work , nuts will not .

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

bolt on skewers

ok cool -im finding bolt on skewers are cheap & super light compared to the QR

thank you sir

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

more questions

i read on here that you should "re-face" the head tube & bb shell - like the lip areas? is this absolutely necessary? or only if lip is damaged? Can i just throw on the headset & BB as-is?
    or not recommended? i havent built up a rapport with any LBS's yet ...if i just go to the closest one, what do i say? ... i feel i might have an anxiety attack & run out lol jk

mtbr member
    I didn't do it on my Reken, and I have no issues. People say you do it to get a good seal, by having a flat surface.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    They dont always need to be faced , although its certainly a good idea to check them .

mtbr member
    What head set and BB are you using? You also should have the threads in the BB shell chased.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    I didn't do it on my Reken, and I have no issues. People say you do it to get a good seal, by having a flat surface.

Its not really to get a good seal. The flat surface is important so the bearings are properly aligned and don't bind. Lower end and middle of the road head sets usually have enough slop in them to make up for small amounts of misalignment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

just got headset today in mail

crane creek s3 headset i got today it says in the directions to prep headtube with reface & ream too jeez ???

as far as BB goes i have no idea yet lol

i did get my hands on some used 2006 race face dues crank arms. i still am reading up & trying to figure out how to complete the crankset... i want 1x9 setup

mtbr member
    crane creek s3 headset i got today it says in the directions to prep headtube with reface & ream too jeez ???

i did get my hands on some used 2006 race face dues crank arms. i still am reading up & trying to figure out how to complete the crankset... i want 1x9 setup
    I have the S 3, and like I said I didn't do any prep work. I put it in and it has worked flawlessly. Doesn't mean that yours will or wont work, if you dont do it.

Big thing abou the S 3 is making sure you have the bearings pointing the right way. They are tapered to fit in a certain direction.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Your LBS likely has the facing tools and can check it for squareness and the need for facing . It only takes a few minutes to check it , and dosent cost a whole lot if it needs to be done . If it does need to be done and you forego this step you could ruin some bearings in very short order . If you would like some other opinions feel free to post a question in the bike and frame forum , I'm sure you will get plenty of excellent info .

mtbr member
    nate I would get it checked just incase...bring the frame with you next time and we'll hit the shop after the ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Have your LBS face and ream the headtube, and chase the threads in the BB. This would not be a case of "re-facing" as the head tube on this frame has not been faced at the factory. As people have said, you should ream and face to ensure a perfectly square bearing surface. This ensures the bearings are loaded evenly and correctly, and it also helps to make sure the cups have a perfectly clean and even surface to get pressed into, which will make sure you do not get creaks down the road. It has nothing to do with a "seal." Facing and reaming is one of those steps a lot of people skip because they do not have the tools. Sometimes nothing happens, sometimes you end up with a creaky headset. When building any bike from the frame up, I am always of the mindset "if you're gonna do it, do it right the first time."
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

will play it safe for sure then

thanks guys,
    sounds good & makes sense... plus i have the bare frame right there so boom why not. plus i can get out there & find my "goto" LBS & build up a rapport with them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    thanks guys,
    sounds good & makes sense... plus i have the bare frame right there so boom why not. plus i can get out there & find my "goto" LBS & build up a rapport with them.
    Good plan on all counts - do it right from the start and you won't have to worry about it later. Make sure to call your local shop first to 1) Make sure they have the park cutting tools (VERY expensive tools, a lot of small mom & pop shops don't have them) and 2) Find out what the time frame looks like. This time of year they can usually just face and ream it right there as long as there are not any other customers in the store, but they might be busy in which case you should expect to leave it with them for a couple days. If when you call and ask if they can face and ream your headtube, then chase the threads in the BB and they don't know what you are talking about, RUN! lol, you want someone who knows what s/he is doing because misuse of precision cutting tools can ruin a frame.

Park precision cutting tools are some of the nicest tools I have used (for anything - bike or other) and cost close to $500 for the base setup for a reason.

http://www.parktool.com/products/det...51&item=HTR-1B

But that basic setup does not include the whole slew of adapters and other cutting components needed to address the crazy range of bike setups out there. It represents a significant investment for a shop so they will probably charge you a minimum of $30 even though it is a relatively quick job. As you said, this is a great opportunity to strike up a good relationship with a good shop - a relationship that will be very valuable for as long as you are riding.

The BB facing/tapping setup is also a beautiful precision tool.

http://www.parktool.com/products/det...=48&item=BTS-1
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

AZ
    banned
    thanks guys,

A very good plan , good luck with your build . Looking forward to pics .

mtbr member
    Did you manage to finish the Reken
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

almost there

well with work being so hectic & i had a few other projects (i finished piecing a gsxr 600 together YAY) plus money always a factor... i have been buying parts used or sale closeouts & i am almost done. my last hurdle is figuring out how many links i need for my chain & then adjusting the rear derailleur then i can ride it. just in time for my b-day & the funtime fall riding ahead =) i will post some better pics when complete ... i have to go learn up in the other drivetrain section lol... thankgoodness for these forums =)

mtbr member
    Looks sharp! Build list would be nice.

I had a Reken a few years back when they first came out - great frame for the money.

(Brake levers may need to be angled down a bit- hard to tell in the pic, tho).

Wēk Sôs
    looking nice.

when you're done, can you give the total weight and the parts break down? i'd like a build below 25lbs for my kids, and I can use yours as a baseline.

thanks much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

done finally

well i finished today & rode around my development... nothing flew off it or broke so far lol. Maybe next weekend i will take it out to a trail. I have to bleed the front brakes... anyway some more pics & a list of some of the parts i used at the bottom after pics. i will try to get the weight & will follow up with yall.

Sette Reken Hardtail Alloy Frame 14” RED
    Sram X.9 Rear Derailleur
    SRAM X.0 TWIST SHIFTER
    Sram PG 990 Cassette
    KMC X9SL Chain
    Race Face Deus Bottom Bracket
    Time ATAC Alium Pedals
    Race Face Deus Cranks
    E*thirteen 32T chainring
    Race Face Deus Stem
    Cane Creek S-3 Headset
    Alpha Q XROC Handlebars
    Formula Oro K24 Hydraulic Disc Brake Set
    Manitou R7 Elite 80mm Front Fork
    Easton XC TWO Wheelset
    Sette Lynx Saddle
    Easton EC70 seatpost

mtbr member
    Weird, that front tire is labeled 2.10F, but it is the rear tread pattern.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yea, your right! Very weird..

OP: I too am building a Reken. What is the total weight of your bike assembled? Approximately how much did you spend total on the bike?

habitual line-stepper
    congrats on your new reken, that's a sweet build. i built mine up over a year ago and she's still going strong! one thing, i'm pretty sure the cut-out portion of your bbg bashguard goes behind the crankarm, at least that's how i have mine set up

Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thanks Kanai! that makes perfect sense actually - thanks for the heads up.

Now i wonder 'bout my tire?? u guys think i got a weirdo defective tire ? lol
    oh well