Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

14" reken frame arrived today

3 lbs 13.5 oz according to my food scale - not sure how accurate that is lol

mtbr member
    Looking forward to this build.

mtbr member
    Nice, we require bigger pictures.

I have never seen a red Reken, most people go for the black.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

red is purty

here some pics - sry im not very good with the camera

im real excited! when i was a kid i wanted to get a bmx frame & get a bike going, but i had no monies & it never happened... well now im a grown up!! & ill do what i want...well, actually, i still have no monies... but i think i can make it happen. anyway, im excited like a lil kid

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by nathenyoung
    Im real excited! when i was a kid i wanted to get a bmx frame & get a bike going, but i had no monies & it never happened... well now im a grown up!! & ill do what i want...well, actually, i still have no monies... but i think i can make it happen. anyway, im excited like a lil kid
    You by chance have a list of components for this build?

If you come across any trouble, be sure and ask for help

mtbr member
    He's buying the parts as he goes along. This thread will be useful for picking the right components.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

mailman came today !

i got this used '06 R7 - i hope it works

i hope to have it ready by fall. Im picking up used parts as i see 'em/can afford them. well , thats it for now... have to stack up more bike loot & research cranks -

budget is my #1 priority - but man i would love for this thing to be under 30lbs - i just hope its not a porker

i think i got lucky with this fork - everything seems stupid expensive so its mostly going to be a used or a pricepoint/sette affair as far as parts go

mtbr member
    I expect the build to be easily under 30lbs. Probably even under 25lbs.

mtbr member
    I have that same fork, but the current model and it is white. It is a very nice for, and works very well for me.

My 18 inch Reken 26 pounds, so depending on what you get for your bike you might be close to that. I dont want to say you will be under 26 pounds because I spent a good bit of money even getting that light, and there is still more to go.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nice.. I thought rekens weighd a bit more than that though, i though they were in the 4 pound range

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildkyle90
    Nice.. I thought rekens weighd a bit more than that though, i though they were in the 4 pound range

This is a 14" frame (small).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    This is a 14" frame (small).
    yeah the 18 inch which would be average is about 3/4 of a pound heavier than the 14 inch, but it does have 4 inches more of aluminum so its to be expected.

Its still not as light as a carbon frame or even the Edge Frame.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    For $80 you can't beat that price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    yep if i were ever to build a sette hardtail id go edge

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildkyle90
    yep if i were ever to build a sette hardtail id go edge
    If I ever replace my frame, or build a really light bike the Edge is on the top of my list. If I can ever get to a light enough weight there could be a Phantom in the future.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    If I ever replace my frame, or build a really light bike the Edge is on the top of my list. If I can ever get to a light enough weight there could be a Phantom in the future.
    Id love to have a carbon bike, but the cost of lightweight parts that match such quality and lightness of frames would be over my budget haha. i have other hobbies too, and i try to distribute them evenly hahahaha

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice. Thanks for sharing. I've got my 16" Reken waiting for me at home. I can't wait to get home and open the package.

How tall are you? I'm 5'6 without shoes and went with the 16" frame. I hope the frame is not too big for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ^warning^
    Nice. Thanks for sharing. I've got my 16" Reken waiting for me at home. I can't wait to get home and open the package.

How tall are you? I'm 5'6 without shoes and went with the 16" frame. I hope the frame is not too big for me.
    Should be no problem. You can always use a short stem/longer stem if you need to, along with riser or flat bar to get things just right!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

im small

im 5'5" with shoes & like 140lbs with clothes & gear & soaked lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Wheels

man wheels are expensive!!
    BUT
    i found '08 easton xc two on sale for $210. brand new, claimed 1870g & disc holes!!

everything else in that price did not have holes for discs & weighed like 2200g plus.
    quick question?? forks says QR, i think frame says QR & wheelset says QR - wheelset came with these QR skewers but could i use just bolt on ones? is that ok?? like the srew on ones?

AZ
    banned
    Bolt on skewers ? Or are you trying to use nuts ? Bolt on skewers will work , nuts will not .

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

bolt on skewers

ok cool -im finding bolt on skewers are cheap & super light compared to the QR

thank you sir

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

more questions

i read on here that you should "re-face" the head tube & bb shell - like the lip areas? is this absolutely necessary? or only if lip is damaged? Can i just throw on the headset & BB as-is?
    or not recommended? i havent built up a rapport with any LBS's yet ...if i just go to the closest one, what do i say? ... i feel i might have an anxiety attack & run out lol jk

mtbr member
    I didn't do it on my Reken, and I have no issues. People say you do it to get a good seal, by having a flat surface.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    They dont always need to be faced , although its certainly a good idea to check them .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast