Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    42

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! ***2009 Sette Phantom Pics!***

    Just received this past Friday then it stormed in the midwest so I'll post up a ride report sometime next week.

    First impressions of delivery are great!
    So far I give this an A-.

    The bike box (two boxs to hold the whole bike) and frame protection were top notch.
    All parts were accounted for per Price Points website.
    One concern at this point was the rear brake levers - underneath the sleeve where the brake tubes meet levers had some oil leakage (not sure if it was leakage at this point)

    Picasa Album

    From A -
    From Sett'e Phantom


    To Z -
    From Sett'e Phantom


    Added:
    Forte' Carbon Fiber Bottle Cage
    Crank Bro's Egg Beaters

    NOTE: I also own a Motobecane Fantom Team which is being frame swapped with a SC Blur XC. Those frames seem to run large. From frame delivery to bike riding experience I give the whole experience a B- / C+.

  2. #2
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,880
    Sweet

    What's it weigh

  3. #3
    "They Call Me Bone'z"
    Reputation: facelessfools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,609
    should be right under 20lbs...
    looks sick!
    RAH!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dictatorsaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,542
    How does it ride?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    42
    This past weekend I road it along a paved path and some grassy hills ~35 miles. Here are some of my first impressions:

    Tires make for great fast track riding. I recommend converting it to tubeless though to ride those tires at a lower pressure.

    Frame gave enough feedback provides some from the grassy hills while I did notice minor absorption vs. an aluminum frame.

    The bike rides 30 - 50% grade hills fairly well due to the fact its an HT and also has a short chainstay.

    Shifting is accurate on both the down and up.

    Braking on the Elixers have great modulation.

    Seat (Fizik) provided enough padding on sit bones although I think I had it slightly angled to the left so it didn't feel so great at the end of the ride. (minor adjustment)

    The fork/headset has a tendency to veer left (this may be due to tightening the fork from install - will try to readjust)

    Handlebar set up did leave me with some pinched nerves from time to time and also woke up with a sore left thumb from shifting. (Ergo issue)

    Location of the bottle cage is a bit tight for a small frame so I don't necessarily recommend using it as my bottle kept hitting the bottom of the top tube when pulling it out and putting it back in.

    Although I haven't had a chance to take it officially off road yet I am looking forward to seeing how well it takes on those bumps.

    I usually get sore in the lower back from longer distances but so far so good.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    Sweet

    What's it weigh
    It weighs in at 20.4 pounds. I'm planning on converting the rims to tubeless so that should knock off a pound.

  7. #7
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by field3
    It weighs in at 20.4 pounds. I'm planning on converting the rims to tubeless so that should knock off a pound.
    That's 0.6 of a pound over claimed weight....I was thinking it would
    come in under weight with the small frame.....................Go figure..

    Quote Originally Posted by field
    Although I haven't had a chance to take it officially off road yet I am looking forward to seeing how well it takes on those bumps.
    I'll be lookin' forward to your dirt report...........

    .

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    That's 0.6 of a pound over claimed weight....I was thinking it would
    come in under weight with the small frame.....................Go figure..

    .
    I wonder if the weight he posted was with pedals. Because I'm pretty sure the weight posted on the pricepoint site is without pedals, since the bike doesn't come with pedals. .6 pounds sounds about right for a set of pedals.

  9. #9
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    I wonder if the weight he posted was with pedals. Because I'm pretty sure the weight posted on the pricepoint site is without pedals, since the bike doesn't come with pedals. .6 pounds sounds about right for a set of pedals.

    That's a good point

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    I wonder if the weight he posted was with pedals. Because I'm pretty sure the weight posted on the pricepoint site is without pedals, since the bike doesn't come with pedals. .6 pounds sounds about right for a set of pedals.
    Yup you got it! That plus a bottle holder... I'm in the process of converting the rims to tubeless..

    I was looking around some old Mtn Bike Mags and found this to look fairly similar to the Sette.

    Stork is also close too...

    Being that there are about 3 main CF fabs in Taiwan I'd say I've got a 33% chance of getting my guess right that there is probably just a 25% difference between these frames...

  11. #11
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,880

    Let's see some more pictures________________Please

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    7
    I picked up a med phantom with the fox and so far I'm so happy with it.
    Mine weighs 20.1 pounds with a pair of eggbeaters.

    I doubt you would drop a pound converting to tubeless,
    even if you can get the maxlites to seat.

    The bike comes with some very thin and light tubes as is.

    There are def areas to drop more weight but out of the box,
    this bike rocks!!

    I plan on a new chain, cassette,maybe some light weight rotors to shed some weight,
    and have been toying with the idea of an ultra light wheelset.

    I still have to weigh the stock wheel set, but I can't help thinking there is some
    room to drop a lot of weight. I'll post up after I weigh them.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by mrchow
    I picked up a med phantom with the fox and so far I'm so happy with it.
    Mine weighs 20.1 pounds with a pair of eggbeaters.

    I doubt you would drop a pound converting to tubeless,
    even if you can get the maxlites to seat.

    The bike comes with some very thin and light tubes as is.

    There are def areas to drop more weight but out of the box,
    this bike rocks!!

    I plan on a new chain, cassette,maybe some light weight rotors to shed some weight,
    and have been toying with the idea of an ultra light wheelset.

    I still have to weigh the stock wheel set, but I can't help thinking there is some
    room to drop a lot of weight. I'll post up after I weigh them.
    Nice..

    Are you riding the Eggbeater SL's? I think mine are standard issue Chro-Mo

    I'll let you know where I'm at with the tubeless set up. I'm tinkering around with a mix between Stans and the Caffe Latex stuff (50/50) .. we'll see how this little experiment goes...

    Are you sticking with the same grips? I just got Ergon GX1 (may go to GX2) for comfort due to nerve pinches.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by field3
    Nice..

    Are you riding the Eggbeater SL's? I think mine are standard issue Chro-Mo

    I'll let you know where I'm at with the tubeless set up. I'm tinkering around with a mix between Stans and the Caffe Latex stuff (50/50) .. we'll see how this little experiment goes...

    Are you sticking with the same grips? I just got Ergon GX1 (may go to GX2) for comfort due to nerve pinches.

    I picked up just the eggbeater c's, I have never ridden on eggbeaters before
    so I thought I'd try a cheaper set first. I'll be keeping the original grips, I really like a thinner
    grip and these work for me.

    Yes please let me know how the tubeless goes, my friend who is a tubeless guru and
    myself tried with no success, although we were using a ghetto setup on the valve;
    maybe being able to remove the valve core and blasting it with the compresser would have helped. I haven't completely given up on the tubeless idea.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    42

    Idea!

    Quote Originally Posted by mrchow
    I picked up just the eggbeater c's, I have never ridden on eggbeaters before
    so I thought I'd try a cheaper set first. I'll be keeping the original grips, I really like a thinner
    grip and these work for me.

    Yes please let me know how the tubeless goes, my friend who is a tubeless guru and
    myself tried with no success, although we were using a ghetto setup on the valve;
    maybe being able to remove the valve core and blasting it with the compresser would have helped. I haven't completely given up on the tubeless idea.
    Using a regular air pump isn't going to work. I also have a set of Mavic SLR's and Maxxis LUST tires. I had to go to my local tire shop to get the compressor going. When I pulled apart the Lites from the Stans ZTR rims they were pretty firmly beaded to the rim so I'm pretty sure I can run them.

    I went out to Home Depot to get a $70 compressor which should work... will update after...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •