mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Are you guys keeping your demo'd CrankBros Wheels?

$500 isn't bad, just wondered what everyone thought of them.

mtbr member
    I ended up with 2 podiums and got to keep both sets! I really liked them and definately put a good effort into bashing the front cobalt on Sunday's xc race and it stayed true! I'm a fan.
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm selling mine for some extra scrilla. Would consider keeping but my 26" dubs gotta be v-brake.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by barfzilla
    I'm selling mine for some extra scrilla. Would consider keeping but my 26" dubs gotta be v-brake.
    How did you race with their wheels then if you have v-brakes? That was part of the deal, race their wheels, podium, and keep them.

mtbr member
    I think the CB guys hit a homerun this Sea Otter. I heard a couple good stories out of their camp and others should take notes.

The whole wheel thing was awesome! A buddy of mine broke a CB pedal and brought the parts to the Otter looking for a little help. Thoes guys jumped in and fixed his pedal, then gave him another brand new set!... taking care of thoes that take care of you... I will buy CB products moving forward, thoes guys have a great attitude. Always ready to jump in mount wheels, fix pedals... kudos

I also stopped by Specalized with a buddy whoes "Specialized" skewer on his carbon Epic keeps coming loose... came loose during his Super D race and his XC race. We asked the Specialized guys if they had another skewer or to check it out, maybe they could help... we got the cold shoulder and we walked away. Cruised by Santa Cruz to see if they had a shock bolt. just the allen bolt and dust cover, because mine fell off my Blur LT... nope, we have nothing, sorry cant help you. glad I wasn't racing that bike or i'd be F-ed... I am sure thoes guys are there to support their racers, but man.. where is the love for the Sport racer types....

Kudos to Crank Brothers!

mtbr member
    Yeah it is funny how some companies just have it and some treat you like they don't need you.

Wheelsets aside, CB also fixed my pedal which I had bashed on a rock in Auburn the weekend before. I had kinda bent it back in my vice and it was working on all sides but was still bent and looked crappy. I told a CB guy about it and he asked me to bring it the next morning. I mentioned that I had to race that bike in the morning so he just handed me an allen to take it off right now. He rebuilt it and threw in all necessary new parts and I was on my way in about 3 minutes! Awesome!

On my other bike I had DU bushing play in my Fox RP23 but the front mounting bolt was siezed and starting to strip. Fox wouldn't touch it while it was on the bike, the SRAM tent wouldn't help me either. I took it over to the Giant demo pit (the bike's a Giant) and told them. They had me leave the bike their while I went and did another race and they said they'd see what they can do. When I came back in the afternoon they had gotten the bolt out, taken the shock over to Fox to get the work done, and re-installed the shock with a new Ti bolt! And then they gave me some socks!

Race Reports & Updates

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I wish I had known about that demo program! I came in 7th but it could have provided the necessary mojo to finish in a podium. Great program, I wonder if they will do it again next year. Good way to get your wheels on winners bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK
    How did you race with their wheels then if you have v-brakes? That was part of the deal, race their wheels, podium, and keep them.
    actually just v-brake in the rear. just used disc brake up front.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Clint, doood, congrats on getting too sets! Did you end with an Iodine AND a Cobalt? or two sets of Iodines? Those blue ones are looking sick on your XC bike...really pop. See ya tonight at PCRS.

Damn, I wish I knew about this demo dealio they were running...would have ended up with a pair. aarghhh!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    Damn, I wish I knew about this demo dealio they were running...would have ended up with a pair. aarghhh!!

they don't make 29er yet, so don't beat yourself up over it
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    they don't make 29er yet, so don't beat yourself up over it
    ah ****, that's right...we actually talked about that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    Clint, doood, congrats on getting too sets! Did you end with an Iodine AND a Cobalt? or two sets of Iodines? Those blue ones are looking sick on your XC bike...really pop. See ya tonight at PCRS.

I got one of each! :-) I love the loud freewheel they have too. Cobalt's survived a high speed crash at GB last night! My skin didn't fare so well ouch!

Race Reports & Updates

Lusus Naturae
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintox50
    On my other bike I had DU bushing play in my Fox RP23 but the front mounting bolt was siezed and starting to strip. Fox wouldn't touch it while it was on the bike, the SRAM tent wouldn't help me either. I took it over to the Giant demo pit (the bike's a Giant) and told them. They had me leave the bike their while I went and did another race and they said they'd see what they can do. When I came back in the afternoon they had gotten the bolt out, taken the shock over to Fox to get the work done, and re-installed the shock with a new Ti bolt! And then they gave me some socks!
    Also had to have Giant look at my bike and they handled it on the spot. Thank god .. oops, I mean, thank God (sorry Clint, haha) because I was worried that the scratch on my Reign was a crack!

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintox50
    I love the loud freewheel they have too.
    Comes in handy when approaching hikers from behind, just stop pedaling and they turn around.