Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,643

    WTF happened to the CAT2 start this morning?!?

    There are a lot of pissed off people out there, I tell ya!

    I somehow read on the website that the start time for CAT2SS was at 7:00 or 7:30... just like it was every year for the past zillion years. I get down there, and there's nobody there, except the road racing women.

    I go and look at the schedule board near the fair entrance, and it says 9:00. Oh, crud. Oh, well. Maybe I'll go back to camp and get another bite to eat, put my nice watch in my car since I forgot to take it off, etc.

    I decide to ask around. I go to a race official, who was sort of a deeick about it. I ask him, 'What's the official time? Some say 7:30, the schedule says 9:00.' He tells me if I bothered to read the website, it was there. 'So, 9:00?', I ask. 'What does the sign say?' 'Uh, 9:00'. 'Then, that's the time, ('dumbass!' I added that because the dude took a way snarky, nasty tone with me)'. What an Asshat. I'm just asking because your shiz is unclear.

    Well, turns out he was way off. Not only was he a deichk about it, he was wrong. I happened to see the sign that the volunteers hold up for the racers to line up behind. It said, 'CAT2SS 8:17 AM'.

    oh, crud. Glad I saw that. I lined up, raced, and did better than I usually do... which usually results in a next-to-DFL. I usually finish at best like around #60 out of 65 racers.

    During the race, folks were talking about the confusion, and how half the field missed the start.

    Afterwards, I saw the race results. Only 35 racers finished... about half of the usual lineup for CAT2SS. I got 23rd with a finish time of 2:18:22. Woo Hoo!!

    I think a lot of folks are going to demand refunds. Or, at least they should.

  2. #2
    Is this thing on?
    Reputation: Froride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    535

    WTF happened to the CAT2 start this morning?!?

    Yeah, I finished 4th in Clydes, 5th did the course 15 min faster than me. He missed our start time. It was tricky to fined but if you went to the reg site there was a PDF with the actual start times. We went off on schedule at 8:49.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    There are a lot of pissed off people out there, I tell ya!

    I somehow read on the website that the start time for CAT2SS was at 7:00 or 7:30... just like it was every year for the past zillion years. I get down there, and there's nobody there, except the road racing women.

    I go and look at the schedule board near the fair entrance, and it says 9:00. Oh, crud. Oh, well. Maybe I'll go back to camp and get another bite to eat, put my nice watch in my car since I forgot to take it off, etc.

    I decide to ask around. I go to a race official, who was sort of a deeick about it. I ask him, 'What's the official time? Some say 7:30, the schedule says 9:00.' He tells me if I bothered to read the website, it was there. 'So, 9:00?', I ask. 'What does the sign say?' 'Uh, 9:00'. 'Then, that's the time, ('dumbass!' I added that because the dude took a way snarky, nasty tone with me)'. What an Asshat. I'm just asking because your shiz is unclear.

    Well, turns out he was way off. Not only was he a deichk about it, he was wrong. I happened to see the sign that the volunteers hold up for the racers to line up behind. It said, 'CAT2SS 8:17 AM'.

    oh, crud. Glad I saw that. I lined up, raced, and did better than I usually do... which usually results in a next-to-DFL. I usually finish at best like around #60 out of 65 racers.

    During the race, folks were talking about the confusion, and how half the field missed the start.

    Afterwards, I saw the race results. Only 35 racers finished... about half of the usual lineup for CAT2SS. I got 23rd with a finish time of 2:18:22. Woo Hoo!!

    I think a lot of folks are going to demand refunds. Or, at least they should.
    Yeah, no ****.
    I was registered to race cat 2 40-45.
    I checked the time last night, their website said 9:00.
    So, I get to the start at 8:50, figuring I will probably start at 9:15.
    Most cat2 were gone. My group was gone for 25 min ! . Oh, also, they changed the course since when I pre-rode it last week-end and missed a turn ( Yeah I am a dumbass on that one) and rode an extra 2.5 miles and lost another 10 min
    Pretty lame

  4. #4
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,643
    Quote Originally Posted by fabe View Post
    Yeah, no ****.
    I was registered to race cat 2 40-45.
    I checked the time last night, their website said 9:00.
    So, I get to the start at 8:50, figuring I will probably start at 9:15.
    Most cat2 were gone. My group was gone for 25 min ! . Oh, also, they changed the course since when I pre-rode it last week-end and missed a turn ( Yeah I am a dumbass on that one) and rode an extra 2.5 miles and lost another 10 min
    Pretty lame
    Geez.... how many people were standing around going, 'WTF guys?!?'

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16
    We confirmed our times upon check in on Saturday. They were posted where you pick up your race number. This morning I saw quite a few who missed the start time in the cat 2 category. Bummer.

  6. #6
    bike wisperer
    Reputation: Lopaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    380
    Many many many people missed the start. How hard can it be to get such a simple thing so wrong.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by fabe View Post
    Yeah, no ****.
    I was registered to race cat 2 40-45.
    I checked the time last night, their website said 9:00.
    So, I get to the start at 8:50, figuring I will probably start at 9:15.
    Most cat2 were gone. My group was gone for 25 min ! . Oh, also, they changed the course since when I pre-rode it last week-end and missed a turn ( Yeah I am a dumbass on that one) and rode an extra 2.5 miles and lost another 10 min
    Pretty lame
    Exactly what happened to me...I raced 45-47 cat 2 and missed my group by 20+min. Showed up with plenty of time to warm up before the damn posted times on website and official race sched of 9:00am. Had to jump the fence and take of with last group of sport. Then got held up forever behind all the cat3 racers that converged on our last 10miles or so of race due to their short course option. So pissed at the incompetence. I don't think I'm coming back. Course was stupid too... Prob 60-70% fire road and pavement (by length). Could've used a cx bike...

  8. #8
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillerman1 View Post
    We confirmed our times upon check in on Saturday. They were posted where you pick up your race number. This morning I saw quite a few who missed the start time in the cat 2 category. Bummer.
    I missed that,

    ... but like I said... I actually asked a race official the morning of the race, right at the starting line, and the race official actually told me 9:00, like it said on the posted schedule.... and he was a diick about it.... as if I was asking him to do something other than his frickin' job.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 04-14-2014 at 05:04 PM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    73
    I drove down from the Bay Area on Sunday morning, on Saturday night I rechecked the website for the 100th time to confirm that cat 2 started at 9:00 am. Fortunately for me I'm habitually early to these sorts of things and when I got there my teammate told me to get my rear in gear since I was way off on the start time. So, made my start with just enough time to warm up a bit (thanks Ken!).

    I get that there is an "official notice board" but in an age where you can update a website from your smart phone how hard is it to put a notice on the website too? Especially when so many people are thinking they can get reliable information there?

  10. #10
    more skier than biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,770

    WTF happened to the CAT2 start this morning?!?

    These Cat 2 start have been on the SOC website for awhile. http://www.seaotterclassic.com/userf...rt%20Times.pdf

    But it seems like there was conflicting information elsewhere?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    73
    Thanks for posting that. Indeed, I just found that link as item 7 in the list of "Additional Information/All SOC Races" section. That is a nice detailed list. The conflicting information comes when you click the "Racing Schedules" link in the "Maps & Schedules" tab in the information bar at under the page header. The "Racing Schedules" page has a link to "Cross Country Schedule" which pretty clearly says Cat II/III/Tandems start at 9:00 am. But it does not break out the individual category times.

    The lesson learned by me is to be sure to check the schedule at registration just like they say to do!

  12. #12
    arrogant sandbagger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBayLaser View Post
    The "Racing Schedules" page has a link to "Cross Country Schedule" which pretty clearly says Cat II/III/Tandems start at 9:00 am.
    From what I saw at the finish line, many racers based their arrivals and warmups on this information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    These Cat 2 start have been on the SOC website for awhile. http://www.seaotterclassic.com/userf...rt%20Times.pdf

    But it seems like there was conflicting information elsewhere?
    Good find. I'm not sure how you got to that link. I am sure that if one digs around on the website they can find the correct start times, as you have done. But there are multiple places where the correct information could have been listed but is *not* listed. For instance, if you start at this page: Subaru Sea Otter Classic - April 10-13, 2014 | Maps & Schedules | Racing Schedules

    You can click on the "Cross Country" "Sunday" or "Download/Print 4 Day Schedule" links; not a single one shows the correct start times for Cat 2s.

    http://www.seaotterclassic.com/userf...t%20Sunday.pdf
    http://www.seaotterclassic.com/userf...%20CX%20SS.pdf
    http://www.seaotterclassic.com/userf...0v%20JAN24.pdf

  13. #13
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,643
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBayLaser View Post
    Thanks for posting that. Indeed, I just found that link as item 7 in the list of "Additional Information/All SOC Races" section. That is a nice detailed list. The conflicting information comes when you click the "Racing Schedules" link in the "Maps & Schedules" tab in the information bar at under the page header. The "Racing Schedules" page has a link to "Cross Country Schedule" which pretty clearly says Cat II/III/Tandems start at 9:00 am. But it does not break out the individual category times.

    The lesson learned by me is to be sure to check the schedule at registration just like they say to do!

    ... and don't trust what a volunteer says to you, no matter how sure of themselves they seem. Oh, and don't trust the posted race schedule?

    Uh, no.

    SOC needs to get their shiz together, and train their volunteers and officials. If they don't know something, they shouldn't make it up. The race officials should have an official schedule nearby they can reference, and if they don't know, they should be able to point us to somebody who does know.

    What... we're expected to websurf to the SOC site the morning of the race?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,340
    That PDF isnt even right. I saw the 9am on the website forever, when I picked up my plate the list said Cat 2 45-47 was going off at 8:27. I think we went off at about 8:35. I mentioned it to the person working registration and they didnt seem to care. I also asked the question on the Facebook page but nobody responded. To add to the the "WTF"..I was running in the top five of CAT 2 45-47, coming off the first pavement section turning on to the single track climb, I was in the lead of a small group when I hear something really loud to my inside, I look to my right and see at Tandem in full speedway slide, trying to cut inside of me, I have to let them go being they are like three times my size and mass, I get stuck behind them on the climb and lose touch with the leaders of my group, then they fall trying to pass a slower rider and I get held up like another 30 seconds. Where the Fu( did the tandem come from?? I didnt see them on a start list at all...they cost me a top five for sure as I ended up 10th/53 off the podium by 3:30.

  15. #15
    arrogant sandbagger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    88
    It says Cat 2/3 9am on two PDFs in black and white:






    and here:


  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3
    Same here, missed my start time. Worse still, registration told me to start with a later group as the electronic tag would record my start and end times correctly, which turned out not to be true. Posted result is 30 minutes slower than actual time. This is the event I've been training towards for months, ruined by Sea Otter logistics fail. I hope they figure out a way to make it right but so far I'm not getting any response besides a promise of a discount code for next year's race, which is kinda worse than nothing.

  17. #17
    bike wisperer
    Reputation: Lopaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    380
    Every volunteer seemed to know I needed a wrist band. None of the volunteers seemed to know any correct information about race times.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

  18. #18
    arrogant sandbagger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    88
    I would not expect the volunteers to know all of the race times. That's just too much information. However I would expect the information to be readily available on the website.

    It just isn't easy to find race times. Even the road event start times are a challenge on those PDF pages. (To make matters more complicated some Circuit races were on Friday, others on Saturday.)

    Why not add a "What time does my race start?" tab? It could be as simple as a drop down menu with a list of events. Or it can be similar to the Registered Rider Search page.

    To make things easier on site, they might want to put up a few kiosks with start times throughout the Mazda Raceway.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    10
    I'm so pissed! How could this mistake happen at such a large event? Mis posting schedules? Why were they only using the speakers for the start line and not the raceway speakers?

    I checked the "schedule" page 100x's, showed up "early", warmed up, then went to the start line to have them tell me cat2 ss went off " like 40mins ago, bro".

    Im pissed, because i trained hard for months, i raced well, and never had a chance.

    Has anyone got contact info for someone we can write emails to? There is obviously more then a few of us.

    God im still pissed!!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaSS View Post
    Has anyone got contact info for someone we can write emails to? There is obviously more then a few of us.
    Send emails to Frosty@seaotterclassic.com. I'm not having any luck with my complaints but perhaps if more complain they'll come up with a better response. I'm also filing a complaint with USA Cycling. If they won't correct my time, I want it removed and a refund.

  21. #21
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenu View Post
    I would not expect the volunteers to know all of the race times. That's just too much information. However I would expect the information to be readily available on the website.

    It just isn't easy to find race times. Even the road event start times are a challenge on those PDF pages. (To make matters more complicated some Circuit races were on Friday, others on Saturday.)

    Why not add a "What time does my race start?" tab? It could be as simple as a drop down menu with a list of events. Or it can be similar to the Registered Rider Search page.

    To make things easier on site, they might want to put up a few kiosks with start times throughout the Mazda Raceway.
    We were at a racetrack in camping conditions on a bike you're about to go race on. To most, the internet is not 'readily available', especially close to kickoff time.

    You race with your iPhone?

    But yeah, you're right. That is too much info for every volunteer to carry around. The needed an official list kept near the starting line that the volunteers can point to, and help folks look it up if needed. If an error like this happens, they need to put signs up next to the boards with the error, make repeated announcements over the PA system, and let all of the volunteers know about the error so there are no surprises.

    IMO, the SOC organizers were asleep at the wheel. They must have been aware of the error days before, but they didn't do anything about it. No effort was made to correct anything, or let the volunteers or racers know.

    Heh... I was wondering why I placed so unusually well.

  22. #22
    arrogant sandbagger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    We were at a racetrack in camping conditions on a bike you're about to go race on. To most, the internet is not 'readily available', especially close to kickoff time.

    You race with your iPhone?

    But yeah, you're right. That is too much info for every volunteer to carry around. The needed an official list kept near the starting line that the volunteers can point to, and help folks look it up if needed.
    I think we're on the same page.

    When I say that the information should be readily available on the website, I mean that once someone gets to the website the information should be easy to find. Instead it is the opposite. Some start times are really hard to find on the website. And the incorrect start times are posted in two different places on the website. I put links up and screenshots in this thread that show the wrong info is on their website.

    I also think that the events and start times should be printed out and posted at a half dozen places around Mazda Raceway. They could be posted at registration, the information kiosks, near awards, on the side of every bridge, and maybe even on some of the portable toilets (the ones on the end of the row).
    Last edited by Xenu; 04-16-2014 at 02:43 PM.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrowndog View Post
    Send emails to Frosty@seaotterclassic.com. I'm not having any luck with my complaints but perhaps if more complain they'll come up with a better response. I'm also filing a complaint with USA Cycling. If they won't correct my time, I want it removed and a refund.
    Thanks for the info! I will be writing an email today. Ive already posted this thread to the SOC facebook page too.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaSS View Post
    Thanks for the info! I will be writing an email today. Ive already posted this thread to the SOC facebook page too.
    Yep, plain stupid and inconsiderate.
    And $75 +$10 is not cheap to be f...up.
    OK to delay the start, but not to move early.
    Been racing in Socal for 13 years, cat 3,2,1 then back to 2 at Sea Otter this year after a couple or year off.
    Would have won it ...if had nor started 25 min late plus traffic jam...Garmin tells me. Call me sand bagger. Whatever I am dead last at Sea Otter.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    913
    Start times were posted at the Info tents at least the day before....that's how I found mine...

    Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Now that's how to start a morning!
    By Funrover in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 02:20 PM
  2. Cat2->Cat1 Base Miles.....
    By ChrisJ in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 09:04 AM
  3. Apply for Cat1 Upgrade or Race Cat2?
    By azpoolguy in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-22-2012, 07:40 PM
  4. Sea Otter Class 2011 - Saturday Cat2/3 Photos
    By Prettym1k3 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 12:05 PM
  5. Sea Otter- 2nd place cat2 25-29 DH
    By Ghea714 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 09:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •