Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    From facebook it looks like Sea Otter is trying to make right on it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So I was one of the Cat 2 guys that didn't get the memo for the earlier than posted start time. Checked it the night before and the morning of and was warming up as the Cat 2 SS guys were taking off. So I started about 45 minutes late and rode half the course off trail in the passing lane. After 100 people of passing I stopped counting. I was the ******* on the black ss riding in the tall grass bumping bars while riding in the chunk the whole time. Sorry if I pissed anyone off but I was a bit pissed at the race organizers. Got 1:40 still but all the conga lines and hard passes really reeked havoc on my time. Yeah I should have raced Cat 1 but I have no liscense And don't need one as racing USAC events is long over for this old guy. Sucks that the course was thrown back into the Cat 3 course in the end as we were like oil and vinegar in the end. Will I do another SO race again? Most likely I will but I will be sure to let the RO know what a F up it is to change stat times without posting it on the website in the right area. No one told me of the change at check in

mtbr member
    I just got an email offering a discount for next year...better be half off or more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I got an email back today as well, offering me a discount for next year. i still paid $80 for a group ride, i dont know if i will race at the SOC again, feeling burnt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeSS View Post
    So I was one of the Cat 2 guys that didn't get the memo for the earlier than posted start time. Checked it the night before and the morning of and was warming up as the Cat 2 SS guys were taking off. So I started about 45 minutes late and rode half the course off trail in the passing lane. After 100 people of passing I stopped counting. I was the ******* on the black ss riding in the tall grass bumping bars while riding in the chunk the whole time. Sorry if I pissed anyone off but I was a bit pissed at the race organizers. Got 1:40 still but all the conga lines and hard passes really reeked havoc on my time. Yeah I should have raced Cat 1 but I have no liscense And don't need one as racing USAC events is long over for this old guy. Sucks that the course was thrown back into the Cat 3 course in the end as we were like oil and vinegar in the end. Will I do another SO race again? Most likely I will but I will be sure to let the RO know what a F up it is to change stat times without posting it on the website in the right area. No one told me of the change at check in
    its funny, I saw you out there as well. Thought to myself, yup he missed the start too. Sure was good practice if you are uncomfortable with passing. Ha

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've traded a bunch of emails with SOC admin about this (my last one pasted below), and while their responses are a bit tone deaf, I honestly think they're doing what they can. If you were affected, email them and let them know, just so that they can really understand the extent of the problem and why its such a big deal to us, otherwise I'd say lets do our best to help them get it right next time. Forgive, forget, take your own learnings as an athlete, move on...

Next year lets start a mtbr forum with a link to the correct starting times as early as possible for one thing see you guys at shasta lemurian

---
    Last email to SOC:

I don't get upset about things very often, and I've been trying very hard to understand your position here but I am failing.

The link you post below is buried within the site. The primary links that are available from the site navigation all show 9am as start time for the Cat 2 race. Myself and dozens of others believed the race started at 9, and I've read many race reports where riders found out mere minutes before the race and had no time for warm up, as well as many examples like mine where we missed the start entirely. Further adding to the issue is incorrect information being given by SOC officials onsite, both regarding start times as well as incorrectly describing the impact of starting late.

I received an email on April 09 with my bib number. This would have been an awesome place to put race start time, or link to race start time. There was nothing in any of the communications that listed a correct start time, or linked to the page you reference below. Multiple primary links upon entering the SOC website display 9am start time.

My increasing frustration here stems from your continuing insistence that basically we as athletes got it wrong - you say 'sorry for the confusion', which is not an apology for displaying incorrect start times that significantly and negatively impacted a large percentage of the Cat 2 racing population, but instead implies that the athletes did not refer to the right location on the website. If you read the MTBR post, Cat 2 racers like myself have been preparing for this race for months, its historically a fantastic race and we base a large amount of our personal pride on the extreme efforts and improvement we show from year to year. Its a testament to the awesomeness you guys have created with Sea Otter that makes a mistake like this so hard for us to take. This did not impact just a few racers - it impacted large swathes of the Cat 2 field.

The blithe responses around this issue thus far indicate a general disrespect for the effort made by the athletes to spend an entire weekend driving down for the race, as well as the weeks and months we spent preparing for it. An appropriate response would not be "sorry for the confusion, here's a discount for next year's race," it would be "We understand how deeply you as athletes care about this competition, and we failed you in communicating vital information about the race. We apologize for the mistake, and hope to make it up to you in future years. As a token of our ongoing appreciation, please accept free entry into next year's Sea Otter race, and we hope to see you again."

If you had said this to me, I would understand and move on. I would love it if you removed my incorrect time from the posted results and gave me a refund, but I would have settled for a response like the above. The insinuation that the athletes screwed up here and general reluctance to make a real apology and make it right to the many athletes affected is what continues to frustrate me. Send an email to the Cat 2 racers, comment on the MTBR forum, just generally do it better. Come on man.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Each year that I have done SOC I've found it hard to find the start time info, but I always found it... except this year. I missed my start too and ended up with the CAT 3 riders and had my slowest time ever. My recommendations are: 1. Include your start time with your registration confirmation email, and every follow-up email they send you. 2. Post the detailed start time chart in several prominent locations on the web site. 3. Post the detailed start time chart in the festival guide. I contacted frosty@seaotterclassic.com and received an apology and a promise of a discount on next year's event, which I may or may not register for. In 30 years of bike racing, this was the only time I missed my start.

bike wisperer
    One solution might be to line up for the 7:30 start regardless of your cat or age group. You might just earn a time that has you finishing before you started.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by American Flyer View Post
    Each year that I have done SOC I've found it hard to find the start time info, but I always found it... except this year. I missed my start too and ended up with the CAT 3 riders and had my slowest time ever. My recommendations are: 1. Include your start time with your registration confirmation email, and every follow-up email they send you. 2. Post the detailed start time chart in several prominent locations on the web site. 3. Post the detailed start time chart in the festival guide. I contacted frosty@seaotterclassic.com and received an apology and a promise of a discount on next year's event, which I may or may not register for. In 30 years of bike racing, this was the only time I missed my start.
    If you decide against registering you can forward that discount code my way

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2