mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Will my cyclocross be okay?

I've only done 4 or 5 cyclocross races, so I'm still somewhat new to cycling. I live reasonably close to Sea Otter and would like to attend.. the only thing is, I don't have a MTB.

I'd really like to do one of the events, but I'm not sure what. I was thinking either the XC race, or just riding one of the tours.

Would the courses be too rough for a cross bike? Would I be better off renting a MTB?

mtbr member
    if your new to cycling a CX bike be a little too harsh, I have toyed with the idea a couple years but always end up racing my SS.

You could always sign up for the MTB fun ride and do that a casual pace and see if you like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Last I caught up to a guy who was having a hard time on his CX bike. Not a good idea if you ask me. He was going slow on some technical stuff and was holding up a lot of people. Maybe you can rent a mountain bike from a local shop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Last year I caught up to a guy who was having a hard time on his CX bike. Not a good idea if you ask me. He was going slow on some technical stuff and was holding up a lot of people. Maybe you can rent a mountain bike from a local shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Whatever dude, go for it! you'll smoke all kinds of people on the climbs and flats. As far as the rest of it goes, cyclocross is supposed to be painful, right?

mtbr member
    One lap, how bad could that be? You are planning to ride, not racing to win, right?
    milesW

XC rider
    I think a cross bike will be fine. The most technical sections are fire roads, the lose sand might be a problem in some areas. It can be similar to riding on dry beach sandy in some areas. I try and run at least 2.0-2.2 tires but I'm from Fresno where there is no sand. Everything is hard pack here, so I tend to freak out in the sandy areas. .
    ccorc.org

mtbr member
    hey smelly,
    come down and ride the course ahead of time. It is really beautiful down here right now.