mtbr member
    Jan 2014

what's going on with the seaotter XC course?

there seems to be confusion as to what the XC course looks like. does any body know if the map on the website is reliable or not, because it seems a little unclear

Tre1nt
    Feb 2006

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    I prerode the course yesterday.

It seems like the designers wanted to come up with something different. Many of the popular trails are used in reverse. Descents are on fire roads and climbs are up the flowing parts. Not all of the course is laid out that way but I noted a few sections like that.

I heard some people talking about using a cross bike. That would be a bad idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I rode the fondo (basically the Cat 1/2 course), and registered to race Cat 3 XC, but decided not to race it because of just how badly designed the course was. Honestly, who wants to climb up all of the singletrack just to descend fire and paved roads?

There was only one fun part of the course, which was Goat trail...which the Cat 3 route skips.

Instead I'm up in Aptos about to go out for a ride in the redwood forest.

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    I raced it today. Some of that is true -- many of the flowing downhills were used as climbs. And there was a lot of congestion on the singletrack ascents from slower riders in the earlier start times. I did hit 40+ mph on one section of downhill paved roadway.

It seems as though the course designers tried something new and it did not work as well as planned. Oh well. I had fun racing.

ballbuster
    I dunno... I race it today (CAT2SS) and I was expecting to hate it, but it was actually pretty nice. I could do without all of the paved descents, tho. I don't know what they were thinking there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    2013 course was far better in my opinion. This course had too much pavement followed by climbing single track with fire road gravel descents. Hopefully next year they switch it back up. All in all it is a great event and you are not going to please everyone.

bike wisperer
    The first 2 single track climbs were a disaster. Slow riders causing conga lines of up to 20 riders. There was no way to pass and no way for the slower riders to make room. Just a slow moving single file. At the spot where the Cat 3 riders joined the Cat 1/2 course near the end of the race, again a slow moving continuous conga line.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    The first 2 single track climbs were a disaster. Slow riders causing conga lines of up to 20 riders. There was no way to pass and no way for the slower riders to make room. Just a slow moving single file. At the spot where the Cat 3 riders joined the Cat 1/2 course near the end of the race, again a slow moving continuous conga line.
    i know we just had the race yesterday, luckily i started late so i didn't have to deal with those people. but there were still plenty of lines for hills and single gnarly track, not to mention the loose gravely double track, all the riders that didn't really need to brake at certain parts did and made massive brakes bumps and forcing everyone else to slow down

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manosteel View Post
    i know we just had the race yesterday, luckily i started late so i didn't have to deal with those people. but there were still plenty of lines for hills and single gnarly track, not to mention the loose gravely double track, all the riders that didn't really need to brake at certain parts did and made massive brakes bumps and forcing everyone else to slow down
    All the single track sections were congested (apart from the flat single track section at the middle of the race) and passing was very difficult, especially when you are starting 25 min after your group, you have the legs for a top 3 (Strava/Garmin to prove it to myself O )
    I like the course , not the way it was managed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by manosteel View Post
    The braking bumps were there the day before, but were probably made way worse by the fondo that took place on the same course on Saturday.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    After watching my friends finish the XC race Sunday morning, I'm really glad I did the Gran Fondo on the day before. With the mass start and the long ride on the track and roads before you hit single track, the people who wanted to set a good time had sorted themselves to the front of the group. This meant that I only got held up on one climb (after the feed zone) for the whole ride.

And yes, outside of the Goat Trail descent on the Cat 1/2 loop, I think the course was less than inspiring. I was pretty disappointed after I rode the Cat 3 course on Friday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i started late as well and knew what it was like, they couldn't really have done anything to manage it any better, plenty of people were itching to get passed