ballbuster

what was up with that XC course ending?

Okay, long climb out.... good.

Year before last:

Long climb out lead to the top of the track... aero tuck... zip down pedaling hard in top gear, roll across finish line. What a rush!

This year, ... long climb out leads to some minor downhill singletrack roll... badly eroded, crashed racers everywhere, bumpy undeveloped double track... switchback to take all your speed... an uphill switchback... uphill fork locked out standing 50 feet to the line. ?!?!? Weaksauce!!

Very anti-climatic. Very down note.

Before it was great. You had that suffer fest of the long climb, followed by the downhill sprint to the end. I miss that.

Anybody else vote for change here, being this is the biggest event at SOC?

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Before it was great. You had that suffer fest of the long climb, followed by the downhill sprint to the end. I miss that.
    Agreed...

My buddy who watched the finish said that there were many riders who were confused. According to him, a junior rider even stopped and looked around.

Similar confusion for me: I really thought that I missed a turn and was on the short track course for a while.

Personally, I wish the race would end all uphill. My HT-battered legs cannot stand that rough downhill to the finish; they get cramped up. I can't pedal even though it's downhill. Cramping goes away when there is low cadence uphill load on the legs.

Ali

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i'll 3rd that. the badly rutted, effed up off-cambre left just outside the trees ate my lunch. didn't dig the uphill switchback coming to the slowspeed finish either. i wished i'd pre-road the entire finish.

mtbr member
    It's mt. biking. suck it up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    It's mt. biking. suck it up!
    Dude, seriously... You were out. Riding a bike. On two legs...

Be happy.

FTM
    Didn't bother me but I hadn't ridden that section before and therefore had no expectations; just rode it on my fully rigid SS. The only thing that made me think about the off-camber section was the cheer I got for cleaning it at speed, Guess I got lucky. My main focus was on not getting caught at the finish line by the guy tearing up behind me. He did - my wheel crossed first but his timing chip crossed before mine - he put a hell of a sprint in.

Older & Slower
    It was different, but I was OK with it. I didn't know it was going to finish like that, but I didn't get lost. It threw me off enough to be an interesting challenge. Just my 2 cents.

Aussie Bob

Finish line !

At least there was a finish line with a sign and timing chip mat, not like my last years race were we ended up at a camp ground and a person with a clip board in a chair while race cars on the track . I like this years course no crashes and the single track after the fire road down all to myself i was flyin and no women yelln at me to get out of the way

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Kinda goofy, but since I didnt preride (and my first SOC), it was all new to me. I didnt realize that I crossed the finish

Good times

mtbr member
    Didn't bother me, but it was my first year racing there so I had nothing to compare it to. Also, pre-rode it so I knew what to expect at the finish.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i thought it was a cool bit of single track but i dont think it should have ended so abruptly right after coming out of a switchback. i recommend they keep it for the spectators who want to bounce back and forth between that and the dual slalom but they should somehow get it to end back on the track with a nice sprint to the finish.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Word on the street is........

.......Next years course will be the same but ran backwards. At least ya'll will get to enjoy a little fun singletrack going the proper direction.
    Have fun on those sandy uphills though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've raced 10 seasons, I think. I'm getting so old I can't remember for sure. I learn something at every race. This race I learned that I should not wear glasses in fog and that I should go take a look at the finish as part of my warmup. It was a little confusing to me, but just because it was different than last year, which was my first SO. I liked the finish. It added to the great variety of terrain and trail conditions that SO has. The variety is a big part of why I enjoy the race. If you want smooth and predictable, maybe you should race a road bike on the road.
    Cycling - What else is there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XCARTELX

Be happy.
    can't argue with that and i still shaved a big chunk off of last year's time.

mtbr member
    They didn't have Cat 2/3 end on the track because road races were going on at that time I believe. Any xc race that had laps (pro, Cat 1) got to come onto the track.
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

ballbuster

Well... I am...

Quote Originally Posted by XCARTELX

Be happy.
    ... but I don't think it is too much to ask after I plunk down $55 to ride, to ask that the ride end on an 'up' note. I mean, I'll do it again next year. I'm just saying that in previous years the finish on the track was a waaaaay better way to end things.

You're saying I have no grounds for a critique?

W

Uncle
    I'm on my fourth consecutive year at SOC for XC, and twice it's been a fast pavement finish, twice finishing across the gopher-holed, pocked Spanish grass, off camber hillside. Prerode last Saturday, and was not at all happy to find that we'd be finishing this way again. Mostly, I was concerned about a few of the hazards in the last mile -- primarily the sandy turn onto pavement before the bridge, and rutted ST just after the bridge. And, I really missed the G-ed out turn just before the hard sprint that came with the on course finish.

That all said, I actually enjoyed my finish this year a ton. Knowing about the hazards, I was able to avoid catastophe. I don't do too well when someone is riding my rear tire, but fortunately no one was behind me at this point. Fortunately, there were two riders just ahead, which after the rutted section, provided a ton of motivation to chase. The lumpy section between the trees and the first fenced turn down was a blast -- suspension, do your thing! The turns were fun when trying to chase someone down, and there was just enough room to sprint a few yards across the line. I got around one of the two guys, but not both. That hunt really made this finish fun, and the better guy and I hi-fived just beyond the finish, and we laughed when we figured out that we were in different classes after all, and that the chase was for naught.

I do think the late hazards are an issue for true beginners -- after a long and often underestimated climb, and right in the middle of a narrow, off camber hill; during my pre-ride, I could picture lots of worn out riders going down hard at these spots. And I do miss the pavement sprint. But I'm happy that this year's finish provided more challenge, and an opportunity to test my handling & timing skills at the last dash. If only that last dash were another 50 yards...
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I raced cat 1. At the end of our mountain bike race we had to get on the frakin pavement and coast down hill where the roadies had been riding for the last two days? Where was my rutted out, off camber, grassy switchback that would have made it feel like a real mountain bike race??

mtbr member
    I missed the last single track before the finish line that I did 2 years ago, but I liked the finish.

It was a little confusing because of the multiple arrows, but I liked the terrain. I think it was better than finishing on the race track. I think the route maker intended to make the end of the course more spectator friendly and a better finish when the race gets close. Dont wine about bumps and ruts. Its a dam mountain bike race

XC rider
    I loved the finish line, I thought the twists and turns were a great improvement. Fun to slug it out one last time in those twists.
    ccorc.org

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Saturday XC finish

You guys are not alone on that lame finish. Buzz killer!! Talked to many after, that did not dig it as well. It surely did not set up any kind of sprint finish & many stopped to ask for directions. No bueno.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    took a right after the bridge,and finished in the pits ,looked up the hill and seen all the guys i passed on the fire road finishing the race .What a great feeling that was HELLOOOO maybe next time ill listen to the crowd, i thought they were cheering, maybe they were saying WRONG WAY DUMB A------S

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wardy
    took a right after the bridge,and finished in the pits
    There were way few course marshals this time. Last year, there were 3-4 people pointing to the dirt after the bridge.

Ali

ballbuster

Yeah, srsly

Quote Originally Posted by pisket
    There were way few course marshals this time. Last year, there were 3-4 people pointing to the dirt after the bridge.

Ali
    I noticed several riders cutting the course out in the boonies.