Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WEAK prizes

mtbr member

WEAK prizes

My friend podium at Sea Otter last year and got a 29er 1.95 tire..

WTF - this rider doesn't even have a 29er. Tried to GIVE me the tire because I have a 29er but - NO THANKS, I use 2.3

SeaOtter----------- keep your prizes. REFUND entry fee.

Ride Responsibly
    What category?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yea, I don't know WTF is wrong with race organizers these days. I did a 24hr race last year, came in third place in the Masters class ( podium spot) and they ran out of prizes before they got to us. They said one would be sent but I'm still waiting.

Photog Cyclist.
    Well I guess you guys race for different reasons that I do. I race for fun and enjoy the competition. I have podiumed many times in the past (not so much now) I can't truly remember being bummed about the prize--I was just stoked to be on the podium. I honestly can't remember what the prises I won are. But I guess we all race for different reasons.
    [SIZE="4"]We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    [/SIZE][SIZE="2"](Tim Mcgraw)[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 23mjm
    Well I guess you guys race for different reasons that I do. I race for fun and enjoy the competition. I have podiumed many times in the past (not so much now) I can't truly remember being bummed about the prize--I was just stoked to be on the podium.
    While I race for the sense of accomplishment rather than the prizes, I can relate to the above posts expressing disappointment with the lack of/poor prizes. Bottom line is that the Sea Otter is a big race and they *advertise* that they give out prizes. Therefore, Sea Otter should make good on this promise by giving prizes as promised to podium finishers, and the prizes really should reflect the importance of the event.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Kind of an odd Thread, but I guess it does have some merit. Although it baffles me, I have a friend (a couple actually) who gets all butt hurt when the event doesn't offer a free t-shirt with a race entry fee. It has nothing to do with winning or getting on the podium.
    I think that in 4 years of mtb racing I've 'won' a couple pairs of Maxxis tire levers and a pair of Cannondale gloves that fit a child. I've also only received one free t-shirt with a race entry fee and it's red. I hate red t-shirts.

What really irks me are the little medals they give out to those that podium and what irks me even more are the tiny USA Cycling medals given out for State Champion Series winners. I have 2 from two seperate years and they are exactly the same. Nothing etched on the back, just a simple, lame gold medal in the shape of the USA Cycling logo.

When I used to race BMX back in the '80's my BMX class equiv to our CAT3 State Championship yielded a trophy that was half my height.

Last winter I paid $40 for an ABA license and raced a handful of indoor, local BMX races again after a 20+ year hiatus. I paid $10 for a night of racing and walked away with a beautiful trophy. Not a tiny, plastic medal. One weekend the winners of each class, from beginners to open to pro paid $30 for a full day of racing, received triple points and 1st place in each class walked away with a 3ft tall trophy.

I recall paying $60 for my USA Cycling CAT1 license this past year. I got a cardboard card and some junk mail. My printed, plastic $40 ABA license came with all the perks and insurance. Plus I receive a quarterly magazine complete with race reviews, articles and the current ranking by state AND nationally (for those who entered qualifying races) of every ABA card carrying member.

Go figure.

Photog Cyclist.
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Kind of an odd Thread, but I guess it does have some merit. Although it baffles me, I have a friend (a couple actually) who gets all butt hurt when the event doesn't offer a free t-shirt with a race entry fee. It has nothing to do with winning or getting on the podium.
    I think that in 4 years of mtb racing I've 'won' a couple pairs of Maxxis tire levers and a pair of Cannondale gloves that fit a child. I've also only received one free t-shirt with a race entry fee and it's red. I hate red t-shirts.

What really irks me are the little medals they give out to those that podium and what irks me even more are the tiny USA Cycling medals given out for State Champion Series winners. I have 2 from two seperate years and they are exactly the same. Nothing etched on the back, just a simple, lame gold medal in the shape of the USA Cycling logo.

When I used to race BMX back in the '80's my BMX class equiv to our CAT3 State Championship yielded a trophy that was half my height.

Last winter I paid $40 for an ABA license and raced a handful of indoor, local BMX races again after a 20+ year hiatus. I paid $10 for a night of racing and walked away with a beautiful trophy. Not a tiny, plastic medal. One weekend the winners of each class, from beginners to open to pro paid $30 for a full day of racing, received triple points and 1st place in each class walked away with a 3ft tall trophy.

I recall paying $60 for my USA Cycling CAT1 license this past year. I got a cardboard card and some junk mail. My printed, plastic $40 ABA license came with all the perks and insurance. Plus I receive a quarterly magazine complete with race reviews, articles and the current ranking by state AND nationally (for those who entered qualifying races) of every ABA card carrying member.

Go figure.

Yep And that is why I have heard the USA Cycling is one of the worst organizations in all of sports. They do seam to keep screwing up cycling in the USA.
    [SIZE="4"]We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    [/SIZE][SIZE="2"](Tim Mcgraw)[/SIZE]

Team Cspine

Yea...

Go figure.
    Sixty bucks for the privilege of having a USAC license. Feel the glow of the entitlement...
    Sorry what?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletbob
    Sixty bucks for the privilege of having a USAC license. Feel the glow of the entitlement...
    The problem lies in the fact that it's difficult to get around it, at least in Utah, if you want to race any of the local races. You're either dishing out $5 for a 'temporary license' or $60 for a full year so I can race CAT1. Without it, I'm stuck with the CAT2's-who are usually sandbaggers and actually faster than the CAT1's but too cheap to dish out for a license and race Sport all their life -but then I don't get points towards any State Championship Series.

I can see some of the logic in the insurance aspect of USA Cycling from a promoter's point of view. I can only imagine what it costs to insure a mountain bike race. However, it would be nice that when said promoter submits my results to said USA Cycling they would update my USA Cycling profile with that result. The ABA can do it for $40 a year and go so far as publish it quarterly in a big magazine. I also forgot to add that the ABA issued me a dedicated number and actually sent a number plate along with my registration-cheap, but still.

I only raced but a few indoor BMX races last winter. It was fun and brought back some memories but that's about it. After reading and participating in this Thread I pulled my USA Cycling card out of my wallet. The sh!tty printing rubbed off on my REI membership card and is now forever emblazoned on it and my discount Jiffy Lube card that was sandwiched on the other side of it.

Oh well, at least now I won't forget my number when filling out those release forms .

Sup
    I Suck so bad at racing I don't have to worry about any of this

Just Ride.
    You're either dishing out $5 for a 'temporary license' or $60 for a full year so I can race CAT1.
    Wow. Over here it costs us $20 for a day license.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I know that they gave out some leatt braces at sea otter last year. I didn't realize that people were in it for the prizes.

mtbr member
    I totally agree with Mr. slcrockymountainrider , ABA is an excellent example to the other sanctions ...
    I've raced ABA national races and they're the best .

mtbr member
    I guess the races up here in Oregon are pretty good in the prize department. Pretty much every race I have been to has had great prizes and raffles. I think it adds some more fun to the event and the raffle is always a good way to keep people around for a while. Typically each race has some top raffle prizes like forks, frames, XTR wheels.... And there is usually some good goodies for podium spots.

jimfab

capitalism at its finest

Hey, This kinda ties in with another thread where someone was awestruck by the entry fee this year. The post was something like 70 bucks. Of course there was someone to argue the point that it was only like 55. I was like.... wow thats better.... not. I agree that racing for amateurs should be at a grass roots level. Here in AZ there are a couple promotors that put on no frills competitive well organized events for about 30$, but you do get a cool T-shirt and some kind of event specific trinket for placing well. On top of all that they always have a great raffle with real cool prizes, and they usually give out all the hammer gel you care to ingest. The typical turnout for one of these races is about 300 people. Point being... these for profit promotors manage to put on a great event that makes even the last place guy feel like he got a good deal on his money and they turn a profit. Now fast forward to big events like the SOC. Touted as the biggest bicycle event in america...... i tried to get a feel for how many participants were signed up year after year. I could not get an exact number, but the last time i was there in 99 there had to be 3000+ competitors. Who knows today how many? But do the quick math of 3-5000 x 50-70$. Its sick. And you get a 3$ tube for a podium spot in the countries biggest bicycle event No primo prizes for first onto dirt, or fist up the corkscrew, best costume, nothing. Again this is capitalism at its finest. The organizers are doing what the market will bear. No doubt the SOC is a fine well run event. What they / we have forgotten is that it is not an event without the people. Let your voice be heard!

Again, i agree that racing is not about the prize, it is about the thrill of competition and the quantification of all your hard work and training, but if you are going to give premium money for a high frills premium event you expect cretin things in return. Compare it to a hotel. If you pay $30 for a night at the motor lodge you don't expect any frills like fancy lotion or a mini fridge. But you pay 70-100$ for a room in lets say the MGM grand in vegas you expect some things. The same goal is accomplished by both hotels but you pay for superior quality at the MGM. Fight the power!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    For me, while racing is not about prize money and/or prizes, they do make getting to the podium a bit more sweet. And for Sea Otter and its affiliates to be handing out prizes that may or may not be of use to the top finishers, its frustrating.

For me this year, my first podium finish came as a bit of surprise. And then I remember that podium finishers get prizes. WOO HOO! But then I had to laugh when I looked in my swag bag. Both prizes were actually pretty universal, but due to my unique dietary needs and running newer tech on my bike, both prizes were pretty much useless for me. So my wife walked away with two prizes, a box of Clif bars (I have a wheat allergy - Clif bars, although some are wheat free, they are not made in a wheat free facility) and a SRAM 9spd chain (Ironically I am running SRAM's 10spd XX group and SRAM's 10spd Force group on the road bike. The commuter is a single speed with single speed ring and freewheel - too wide for a 9 spd chain). But my wife has 9 spd on her mountain bike, so she got the new chain.

I would have to agree with those who mentioned the entry fee refund. The Wisconsin Off Road Series (WORS) that I raced in before moving to CA, would refund race entry fees up to 15th place overall for expert/Cat 1, sometimes deeper if it was a big race.

Refunded entry fees would be great at Sea Otter.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I managed to make the podium this year at sea otter. I wasn't at all disappointed with the "prizes" if you will. Got a new chain and a entire box of cliff bars! Think there was some other stuff in there too, odds and ends.

In the long run, the cliff bars will be eaten and the chain will have broken... but it's the memory of the race that counts. It'll be the medal that brings you back to the place you were in so many years before... It'll give you the opportunity to relive the experience with friends and family.

On another note (and for those who really care), I know that the winner of our class received a voucher for a new pair of SIDI shoes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I don't attend races for the podium prizes in the same way that I don't accept a dinner invitation from a friend based on what they are serving. However, if I'm invited to a friends house for dinner and they ask me to bring a nice bottle of wine and then serve Cheezits and popcorn, I'm gonna wonder what the hell is up with that.

Same way with the Sea Otter prizes, I don't race expecting to win great prizes if I podium, but with all the money they take (including my $55 entry fee) and make, you'd think they could do better.

This year I made podium (5th place) in my division for the XC race; I got a couple sample packs of ass cream, a bottle of cyto max, and get this; two 26er inner tubes with Schraeder Valves. When was the last time you saw someone racing on Schraeder Valve rims?

What ever SOC dudes, what ever.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    They took in $55 for even the several hundred 'casual' MTB Tour folks, and all they got was that crappy cold pasta lunch at the end.

Most of the prizes you get are actually free to the SOC organizers; I'm sure Clif Bar, SRAM and SIDI provided the prizes.

The tubes you got? Probably leftover tubes from the athletes' schwag bag that everyone got when picking up registration.

Yeah, pretty weak for the amount of money they rake in. 40,000+ attendees paying for expo passes or racing? Laguna Seca doesn't cost THAT much to rent. When we had a track weekend there the organizer said they got the track, during the summer, for the whole weekend, for $100k. With personnel and emergency.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by murdog
    I don't attend races for the podium prizes in the same way that I don't accept a dinner invitation from a friend based on what they are serving. However, if I'm invited to a friends house for dinner and they ask me to bring a nice bottle of wine and then serve Cheezits and popcorn, I'm gonna wonder what the hell is up with that.

Same way with the Sea Otter prizes, I don't race expecting to win great prizes if I podium, but with all the money they take (including my $55 entry fee) and make, you'd think they could do better.

This year I made podium (5th place) in my division for the XC race; I got a couple sample packs of ass cream, a bottle of cyto max, and get this; two 26er inner tubes with Schraeder Valves. When was the last time you saw someone racing on Schraeder Valve rims?

What ever SOC dudes, what ever.
    Wow, this is horrible! When I used to run professionally, the prizes were awesome...(tv's, cash, stereo's, trophies). Sounds like these race organizers are ripping you guys off! It is not that hard to have companies donate cool prizes in exchange for free advertising. The race organizers need to get some better marketing people on their teams.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Ouch!
    Last time I raced was the 2001 GAP Series by SORBA - I'm thinking SORBA are a much smaller organization & the loot rocked hard (even in the picayune Sport Clydes class)....and all for $25 entry, which included an event T & goodie bag for every race.
    Les grimpées, je les déteste!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    WOW! im shocked about all the negativity..with the soc prices.i thought mountainbiking was about the love of the ride/nature/comraderie/competition...i went to the soc for 6 years raced twice came in last the first time cramping all over did the first super d in 07jsut for the love of mountain biking. maybe its sign of the times.most people cant afford 50 55 bucks to race/podium and bring home bad memories.if i didnt move to texas from the bay ares (san francisco) ill still be going to the best celebration of the bicycle

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Mountain biking IS about the riding, nature, etc. However, when an enterprising group of business savvy people decide to organize an event and profit from it then it very well gives the right to the participants to question whether or not they're getting their money's worth.

It's not cheap to organize SOC.. however they're also not charging chump change for the expo, races, concessions, camping and the individual booths. Where's all that money going? I'm all for them taking a reasonable percentage profit, but when less than 1% of that could've been applied to making the individual podium winners really happy and making the other people strive more for the podium.. yeah, then it turns into less of a festival and more of a business proposition.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It was with some reluctance that I placed my previous post on this topic because it does sound a bit like petty complaining, and I don't like to be negative about SOC because I agree that it's a great celebration. But I do think the promotors of the event put too much emphasis on the overall event and the money they make, and not enough emphasis on the little details that do make a difference to the individual racer. Such as; poor course markings, minimal marshals, water stations that run out of bottles (last year), and yes; very chincy prizes when you consider all the money that get's taken in and all the big sponsors that are down there.

mtbr member
    I think a great podium prize would be a free entry fee for the following year.*

*must be redeemed in the next higher class with the exception of Pro of course.

I don't care what I receive for winning a race, but it is fun when I'm stoked like a new tire or a cool jersey, T-shirt, Hammer products, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast