Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: WEAK prizes

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I would have to say I felt much like murdog when posting my first post on this topic. I honestly had a great time at Sea Otter, I finished in just under my target time which resulted, to my suprise, in a podium spot. And really the prizes weren't too bad, I just didn't have a use for them at all. Luckily my wife did.

I think perhaps, my disappointment in the prizes was due to the fact that this was my first podium finish at Sea Otter, and I was simply expecting a bit more than a chain and Clif Bars. But when you look at it, there are a bunch of podium finishers when you factor in all races, classes, and age groups. So thats a lot of swag. Unfortunately you just never know what a winning riders' personal needs are or what would be compatible with that rider is riding.

Which is why I really like mellowyellowCJ7's idea of free entry fee for the following year. Not sure about the next higher class clause, I raced Cat 1 XC and can't just upgrade on a whim to Pro. But if they would let me, I'd take the opportunity to embarrass myself in the pro field, just to say I rode in a pro XC race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by addctd2adrnlne
    Which is why I really like mellowyellowCJ7's idea of free entry fee for the following year. Not sure about the next higher class clause, I raced Cat 1 XC and can't just upgrade on a whim to Pro. But if they would let me, I'd take the opportunity to embarrass myself in the pro field, just to say I rode in a pro XC race.
    Then no free pass for you! Ha
    Ok, I'm not fast enough to know about the Cat1/Pro stuff, but I hate seeing Cat 3 and Cat 2 that are 20 minutes in front of the pack. But then again, I was 10 minutes off the back of the Cat 2 pack, so I have my own problems and complaining about the podium is only in my dreams right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319
    Ouch!
    Last time I raced was the 2001 GAP Series by SORBA - I'm thinking SORBA are a much smaller organization & the loot rocked hard (even in the picayune Sport Clydes class)....and all for $25 entry, which included an event T & goodie bag for every race.
    Yeh, with all that GAP didnt do right (organization, results to norba, etc), the prizes were always top notch. I knew if I placed top ~5 in most sport races I would take home something decent, and it was extra motivation to race (the fun of racing itself is enough, the potential of a (mystery) prize at the end is even more). Even when the GSC replaced the GAP for the Ga series, there were still awesome prizes (and much better organization from the promoter). SERC was the same, just harder to get to the podium. When I got out here to the SF area, I was somewhat bummed that there was no schwag at the end of the race for most races I went to. Another disappointment was pre-race schwag. Very little to almost nothing more than a hammer gel and a bunch of adverts out here, where as back east I would frequently be loaded with all sorts of samples or trinkets. To compare, last year I went home and raced in a US Cup East race (basically the equiv of the Sea Otter XC out here), for the ~$60 entry fee, sea otter gave us a bottle, inner tube, cytomax. For $25 (+$8 late fee) the US Cup east was bottle, KMC link, three different drink samplers, cytomax, couple different goo packs, tshirt, and a bunch of other stuff, enough to cover the trunk of my rental car (got a pic of it somewhere), though it didnt have the festival. Placing third I got another bottle, a plastic BMX style numberplate trophy with "US CUP EAST 3rd" (probably the most memorable and best trophy/medal yet), and a multitool and a few more promo samplers.

Other prizes I got from GAP/GSC over the years (never got a 1st place either, tho I did get the last GAP series points win) Night Rider trail rat, Polar Cs200, another wireless bike computer, Tifosi (and other) glasses, several multi-tools, several sets of grips, a couple track pumps, Manitou Jersey, countless tires (mostly Maxxis) and innertubes, vendor Tshirts, socks, gloves, shifters, levers, and much more. Even though most prizes were shop returns/demos (sometimes needing a bit of work to be usable) or other (cheap) promo stuff, it adds to the environment. There was always the post-podium prize swap, hanging out with the other racers exchanging stuff you won but didnt need for stuff the other guys got and didnt want, or just digging through prizes showing off what you won. If you missed out on making podium, seeing this made you want to race harder next time so you could be in on it. Ive been surprised and slightly disappointed in the lack of such stuff out here...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowyellowCJ7
    Then no free pass for you! Ha
    Ok, I'm not fast enough to know about the Cat1/Pro stuff, but I hate seeing Cat 3 and Cat 2 that are 20 minutes in front of the pack. But then again, I was 10 minutes off the back of the Cat 2 pack, so I have my own problems and complaining about the podium is only in my dreams right now.
    The podium was only in my dreams four years ago at my first SOC. Finished in 3 hr 30 min that year, so a bit more than 10 minutes off the back. I am sure the podium could be within reach in a year or two for you. Maybe the prizes will be cooler in coming years.

bog
    mtbr member
    I've been disappointed with the prizes the last 2 years that I've raced also. Last year I received a pair of 26" Kendas (can't remember which model) which were useless to me considering I have two 29ers. Kenda was great and swapped them out for me at their trailer.
    This year I received two Kenda El Mocos and forgot to ask Kenda to swap them for me.

The thing that killed me this year was the delay and screw ups with the results. They completely missed me and the 2nd place rider over the line and it took them almost 2 hours after our protest to get it sorted out!

A friend of mine was listed as 7th place in his category although it was clear that the top 2 guys had done the short course because they were 1:09 in Cat 3! The both receied their medals despite protests. The Sea Otter people eventually got the bottom of this and corrected the results but refuse to send a medal to my friend. I can't believe they don't have any extra medals and it would only cost a fed dollars to get a medal to him. Weak!!!!
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I remember when I raced in the early 90s, the local series were always put on by an LBS and that there was an after-race thing at some restaurant/pub in town. Each night at the pub, there was a random draw for prizes (out of an 8 race series, only one night was my name not drawn, and I never got anything less than a water bottle) even though there was only a $5 entry fee. They usually handed out 15 to 20 prizes ranging from water bottles to free tires. Plus one bicycle per race and the first series I did was put on by a specialized dealer and the draw bike was a hardrock sport. Now given that most of the field were sport class riders and many were on bikes like hardrock price-levels... that was a pretty sweet prize especially where the pool of entrants in the draw was a mere 60 to 70 riders deep each race.

To this day, I still have some of those prizes I received in that first series I did including one of the foldable tires sitting rolled up on my tire shelf, and a couple of the water bottles in my kitchen on the shelf i keep all my bottles.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I always liked the Amateur Cup prizes out here in SoCal.
    We all received mugs (beer steins) with the event logo and our place on it.
    (^That was 15+ years ago though)

I understand it is very difficult to give out appropriate schwag to all the class podium finishers.

Keep the schwag for the raffle, and make simple prizes for the podium folks.
    (Racers and Chasers uses old freewheel gears painted gold, silver or bronze with
    the appropriate color ribbon as prizes to the winners, cheap and neat!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Kind of an odd Thread, but I guess it does have some merit. Although it baffles me, I have a friend (a couple actually) who gets all butt hurt when the event doesn't offer a free t-shirt with a race entry fee. It has nothing to do with winning or getting on the podium.
    I think that in 4 years of mtb racing I've 'won' a couple pairs of Maxxis tire levers and a pair of Cannondale gloves that fit a child. I've also only received one free t-shirt with a race entry fee and it's red. I hate red t-shirts.

What really irks me are the little medals they give out to those that podium and what irks me even more are the tiny USA Cycling medals given out for State Champion Series winners. I have 2 from two seperate years and they are exactly the same. Nothing etched on the back, just a simple, lame gold medal in the shape of the USA Cycling logo.

When I used to race BMX back in the '80's my BMX class equiv to our CAT3 State Championship yielded a trophy that was half my height.

Last winter I paid $40 for an ABA license and raced a handful of indoor, local BMX races again after a 20+ year hiatus. I paid $10 for a night of racing and walked away with a beautiful trophy. Not a tiny, plastic medal. One weekend the winners of each class, from beginners to open to pro paid $30 for a full day of racing, received triple points and 1st place in each class walked away with a 3ft tall trophy.

I recall paying $60 for my USA Cycling CAT1 license this past year. I got a cardboard card and some junk mail. My printed, plastic $40 ABA license came with all the perks and insurance. Plus I receive a quarterly magazine complete with race reviews, articles and the current ranking by state AND nationally (for those who entered qualifying races) of every ABA card carrying member.

Go figure.
    Last month the Single Track Stampede offered the best trophies....gold/silver/bronze small-cassette cogs that doubled as bottle openeres which I use to open my Sam Adams.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartyBiker
    Last month the Single Track Stampede offered the best trophies....gold/silver/bronze small-cassette cogs that doubled as bottle openeres which I use to open my Sam Adams.
    Same as the Racers and Chacers series out here, but we use them to open Arrogant Bastard Ale (its a west coast pride thing.)
    Addicted to the dirt......with no hope for recovery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke That
    Same as the Racers and Chacers series out here, but we use them to open Arrogant Bastard Ale (its a west coast pride thing.)
    Great selection for the modest!

Try Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA when you get a chance. It's nicer than some Sam Adams flavours with 9.0 alcohol by volume....and doubles as an appetizer.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartyBiker
    Great selection for the modest!

Try Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA when you get a chance. It's nicer than some Sam Adams flavours with 9.0 alcohol by volume....and doubles as an appetizer.
    My preference is Oaked Double Arrogant Bastard (14%) and it doubles as an anesthetic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I love it when a local brewery brings out a couple post-race half barrels of its best brew, keep the trophies, I'll take a Dixie cup any day!

mtbr member
    Not to sound like a thread crapping ******, BUT....

I've been involved with pro racing for the better part of 7 years now, mostly Speed Channel touring car and GT stuff, as well as working on a board for a major race track facility here in the states. I have seen how much effort and organization goes into events like this on an auto racing level where you've got a mix of amateur "privateer" racers and pro racers in the same event. The difference is that with auto racing all of the guys racing are fairly wealthy typically and have no tolerance for screw-ups over race finishes or placements because they are investing so much of their time/money into their hobby.

Its really easy to get this stuff right if people are paying attention, everyone entering the race has to pay a race fee, that money goes somewhere, and I'm sure that the organizers are turning a profit so basically they would have to make less money in order to better run it with more paid personnel or more management on the ground watching whats going on.

Since they had the event at Laguna Seca facility I would assume that the event was held entirely on their property, which means they rented the facilities from the management organization, most nicer facilities like this go for about $25-40k for a 2 day event using the track at all. Also, most of the time either the track management or the organizers are able to get allot of "volunteers" to work for virtually nothing, maybe lunch and t-shirts, these people do it because they are racing fans and like having open access to the facility, feel like a high roller, and they get perks at other events later in the season for working, I used to do that myself and I hardly ever paid to get into a race after that

The only way poor event management will change is if the participants rally together and complain to the right people about it or if there is a big drop in participants, as long as they are making money and people still turn out whats the reason to change anything.

There seems to be allot of unhappy people that participated in the event due to poor management or crappy prizes for finishing. Let the magazines now, write letters into the editorial staff of your favorite biking rags, if one or two of them print anything, no matter how seemingly insignifigant, it'll ruffle someone's feathers and people will be held accountable somewhere.

The track I used to work allot had some crappy teenagers "working" a Grand Am race several years ago, doing a piss poor job of corraling parking in the car club areas and after the event several regional car club newsletters had people *****ing about it and they changed the way they handled it at the track, that was all it took.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Fuji1971
    Apr 2010
    WOW! im shocked about all the negativity..with the soc prices.i thought mountainbiking was about the love of the ride/nature/comraderie/competition...

I believe your right and that is what it's about. The problem is the promoters are seeing some $$$$. If the promoters thought it was about the same thing as you and most others they would organize these events for the cost + reimbursement for the event. I know this includes their time and it should be compensates, but most people at these events are volunteers. I guess my question is - are the promoters in it for the right reason?

jimfab
    Madsedan is right!

Like a man named chuck-d and flava-flav once said

" fight the power "

I WIll write my favorite rag to complain, not sure how well it will go over since that is a major source of cash for them, but I will give it a shot.

Until then i will just continue to not attend these events.

I will now call him Madsedan-X.

BTW Mad... what years did you do the speed TC? I was involved in 01 and 02 i think. The foo / cunningham years. When the integras were cool and mazdas were slow.

mtbr member
    jimfab, I started working with a BMW team in 2005, worked with them up until about a year ago or so. I was around ti back when Foo was running the little civic hatchback and Cunningham was running that NSX.

I sent a link of this thread on to a friend that does race promoing for a road course track and he said if something like this happened in the auto racing world there would be boycotts and threats of lawsuits from sponsors and participants.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fuji1971
    WOW! im shocked about all the negativity..with the soc prices.i thought mountainbiking was about the love of the ride/nature/comraderie/competition...

I believe your right and that is what it's about. The problem is the promoters are seeing some $$$$. If the promoters thought it was about the same thing as you and most others they would organize these events for the cost + reimbursement for the event. I know this includes their time and it should be compensates, but most people at these events are volunteers. I guess my question is - are the promoters in it for the right reason?

I know my local race guys (Racers and Chacers) are in for the right reason. Our prices to race are very reasonable ($40) and we have very diverse places to race.
    No complaints from here.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    My friend podium at Sea Otter last year and got a 29er 1.95 tire..

WTF - this rider doesn't even have a 29er. Tried to GIVE me the tire because I have a 29er but - NO THANKS, I use 2.3

SeaOtter----------- keep your prizes. REFUND entry fee.
    That's what he gets for sandbagging! YEah, WHAZZZUUUUUP!

Just kidding!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2