Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 81
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Clintox50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    #1 His case highlights USAC's mis-management of the sport. I would argue USAC is trying to discourage a domestic Professional economy and the elimination of semi-pro was another attempt to keep racers impoverished until they reach the UCI's global show. In countries where cycling is flourishing they have a "pro without contract" category and award National titles for it. This keeps the pool of talent deep. That is something USAC is not interested in creating.
    What benefit is it to USAC to keep racers "impoverished"? The "pro without contract" category is intriguing. I guess that is/was the same as semi-pro.

    Also... I can't believe this thread resurfaced...
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

    Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6
    Again. Pro Racers Pee In A Cup From Time To Time. Anyone? Do i have to spell it out? Dude is more than suspect. Strange looking fellow. Something is not right about him. Arrogant judgmental individuals will be judged harshly.
    At a certain point I moved up to Pro. Mr. Kady said i shouldn't have moved up. Uh.... i had more than 5 top 5 results at Nationals as a semi slow. As well as several years of finishing in the top 3 at Ca State Championship. (So cal centric races ugh...) I felt like it was time to move up. The guy will argue his reasoning and never for a second waiver. Thus...........Sorry Mr Kady. You're alone in your feelings about racing and upgrades, you're a first class sandbagger. #1 on the list Nationally. You should be so proud.

    Oh and the elimination of the semi pro class enabled racers who didn't earn or deserve to be "pro" to get the upgrade. USA cycling is horrible. It is without a doubt a rich persons sport or one that we as lower middle class have a irrational devotion to. Just my judgmental 2 cents.

  3. #28
    XCdude
    Reputation: moab63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,189

    He is not sand bagging, the US cycling say's so

    There is no official category he needs to move up to. He is in his aged category, so he is fast get use to it. Train more and you might catch him. There is no real reason(incentive), for him to move up to pro, cost more money to race pro. He is not going to get a contract from anyone by getting 10-15 in a pro race because of his age.

    Is always the same thing if people get beat, the the winners must upgrade or they dope, hell maybe both.

    I live in southern cal, I seen him race many times and yes he is fast, I also seen Justin, Marco Eric, Ben and many other guys that are fast, and they won't take it easy on anybody is(war).

    They reason people race is to measure yourself, and it show's you that you need to get better to get on the box. At this level is all for fun is a 5.00 dollar trophy but if you want it, you have to be willing to put up or shutup. Enough rambling.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintox50 View Post
    What benefit is it to USAC to keep racers "impoverished"?.
    If a rider can get paid well just riding races around their country (ex. U.S.) why would they want to travel all over the world chasing races? The perceived value of obtaining a UCI WorldTour (whatever they call it now) classification goes down.

    Were you around when NORBA was doing most of the sanctioning? They had a flourishing domestic pro economy. And then USAC acquired it and all of that ended.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Clintox50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    If a rider can get paid well just riding races around their country (ex. U.S.) why would they want to travel all over the world chasing races? The perceived value of obtaining a UCI WorldTour (whatever they call it now) classification goes down.

    Were you around when NORBA was doing most of the sanctioning? They had a flourishing domestic pro economy. And then USAC acquired it and all of that ended.
    Wouldn't the World Cup and World Champs be a draw to those with the capabilities and financing? And the Olympic hunt? Road cycling has a pretty good domestic pro program (I think) yet we're still a decent part of the world scene.

    I started riding bikes in '05 so post NORBA. So unfortunately I never experienced the MTB "good ol' days."
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

    Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by moab63 View Post
    cost more money to race pro. He is not going to get a contract from anyone by getting 10-15 in a pro race because of his age.
    The guy has thousands of dollars in gear and yet he's going to get sensitive about an extra +/-$100? Seriously?

    Most "pro" riders in the U.S. aren't making barista wages, if anything at all. If they are darn lucky they get a bike and some clothes. Not even a travel reimbursement. Most are simply getting Bro Deal pricing on the gear they must purchase to represent themselves as "pro."

    I don't think it's controversial to suggest that as a "pro" at local races, he'll still get his beloved podium. National races he'd get hammered. He likes to sandbag.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6
    Moab63. You have failed to make a valid point. I believe I'm not the only one here who has beat said sandbagger more than a few times before we moved up. You come off as if you see him as being picked on by the ones he beats. He made himself irrelevant as he never moved up. Make a point. Justify his silly little sandbagging. Let's hear it. He is by definition a sandbagger and that is obnoxious to most everyone. Not just those whom he beats. Bring his name up on a group ride of racers and the laughs start Rollin. And it's not war. That's a ridiculous statement. Do you yell throw elbows and freak out while racing? Kinda think you might be that guy. Boo to your war analogy.
    Last edited by DirtJunkie12; 04-05-2012 at 05:36 PM.

  8. #33
    XCdude
    Reputation: moab63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,189

    If anyone here can file a protest to get him to Cat up

    do it, but according to US cycling he is 100% legal and in his category. So using the we get beat logic, a 50 year old who beats all the other 50 year olds should also cat up to "PRO".

    According to the rules only master racers up to 34 are required to cat up to pro.

    Ok I got an idea call US cycling and tell them to make a new rule: The Ty category if anyone in any category wins more than a few times in a year they have to go PRO(reargdless of age).

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    301
    it seems really strange that someone would sandbag that hard, obviously there is some interesting psychology behind it. maybe it helps make up for all the supercross main events that he didn't make.
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6
    Dude has been a bagger since 2008. how old is he? Your argument (moab63) is again not valid or even close to the specific reality of one Ty Kady. Everyone else but Moab guy is getting a little laugh in here. My two cents are getting old as is listening to your logic. I'm out.

  11. #36
    XCdude
    Reputation: moab63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,189

    He is 35

    I dont know the guy is just a silly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ty Kady...upgrade, bro.-ty.png  


  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by moab63 View Post
    do it, but according to US cycling he is 100% legal and in his category. So using the we get beat logic, a 50 year old who beats all the other 50 year olds should also cat up to "PRO".
    It's not MTB, but Steve Tilford only races his age group for 'cross nationals and Worlds. Otherwise he races Pro, 1-2 on the road. The way he writes it any UCI points disqualifies you for your age group nationals title. He races in the Pro, 1-2 fields most of the time. That's about as good a model as we've got as long as USAC continues to make everything so difficult. Ty should do the same thing in the dirt.

  13. #38
    Dark Horse Racing
    Reputation: Scrub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    579
    You guys do realize that this thread was resurrected from 2 years ago right?

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintox50 View Post
    Road cycling has a pretty good domestic pro program (I think)
    Going off topic....

    USACDF does not. The expenses of their development program are entirely funded by the Bank of Mom and Dad. There's no discount either. Rates are comparable to doing it all yourself. USAC has no accountability or control over USACDF either.

    Get picked for World's MTB? You pay for all of it including the mandatory stay at USAC's lodgings.

    So, there's money being generated by USACDF, but for what remains a closely guarded secret. Meanwhile, OBRA is graduating racers into the UCI's show at a substantial discount to USACDF.

  15. #40
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,462
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    Get picked for World's MTB? You pay for all of it including the mandatory stay at USAC's lodgings.
    You know that is the norm for just about all nations?

    Actually the US like all other nations has differing levels of support. The top riders are fully funded whereas the development riders have to pay their own way. Which doesn't always make sense because the top riders can usually get their Pro teams to pay, but that is the way it works.

    The US is unique in the size of the team it sends. It is the only country that always sends as many riders as it can. Other countries do not send all their riders. As an example for 2012 Canada has 8 spots available for elite women at worlds, but only 4 will be sent.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: packfill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    233
    Moab63, if you're 50 years old and beating everybody, you have the right to race a faster age group.
    Last edited by packfill; 04-19-2012 at 09:57 PM.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1
    Is this for real? You guys have nothing better to do but keep talking about me, two years after this post was started?

    While I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, certainly there's more productive things you could be doing with your time? To suggest I'm either a doper (DirtJunkie come have me tested down at my office any day of the week) or that I have emotional issues, when you are the ones sitting online, behind a computer screen worrying why I don't go pro on a two page thread about me?? That's bizarre......

    Feel free to come meet me face to face and expression your discontent. I'm not hiding out at the races, so why should you that seem to really be so emotional over this topic.

    For those who don't have the same concept as I of what it means to be a "pro" athlete and all that is involved, I'm sorry for you. But I'm not giving up a steady 40 hour a week job, health insurance or my new home so I can attempt to have another pro career, like I've already tried in MX.

    Best of luck to all of you.

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoiseBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty 358 View Post
    Is this for real? You guys have nothing better to do but keep talking about me, two years after this post was started?

    While I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, certainly there's more productive things you could be doing with your time? To suggest I'm either a doper (DirtJunkie come have me tested down at my office any day of the week) or that I have emotional issues, when you are the ones sitting online, behind a computer screen worrying why I don't go pro on a two page thread about me?? That's bizarre......

    Feel free to come meet me face to face and expression your discontent. I'm not hiding out at the races, so why should you that seem to really be so emotional over this topic.

    For those who don't have the same concept as I of what it means to be a "pro" athlete and all that is involved, I'm sorry for you. But I'm not giving up a steady 40 hour a week job, health insurance or my new home so I can attempt to have another pro career, like I've already tried in MX.

    Best of luck to all of you.

    Too bad, Ty.

    I even read your article in the mountainbike mag the other day and I still don't agree with you. I work in the medical field with several other local pro's who also work with me in the medical field. We work just as many hours as you do and they still ride pro, not Cat 1 where they were consistantly finishing 1st. Your argument holds no water.

    The more stories I read about you defending yourself, the more I think that you have an ego problem and are scared to ride "pro".

    The cost of racing should have nothing to do with things as you obviously get "pro deals" already and likely get your entry fees paid for as well by the team.

    Just because it is technically legal, does not make it ethical!
    Nut up and do the right thing!
    BoiseBoy

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty 358 View Post
    Is this for real? You guys have nothing better to do but keep talking about me, two years after this post was started?

    While I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, certainly there's more productive things you could be doing with your time? To suggest I'm either a doper (DirtJunkie come have me tested down at my office any day of the week) or that I have emotional issues, when you are the ones sitting online, behind a computer screen worrying why I don't go pro on a two page thread about me?? That's bizarre......

    Feel free to come meet me face to face and expression your discontent. I'm not hiding out at the races, so why should you that seem to really be so emotional over this topic.

    For those who don't have the same concept as I of what it means to be a "pro" athlete and all that is involved, I'm sorry for you. But I'm not giving up a steady 40 hour a week job, health insurance or my new home so I can attempt to have another pro career, like I've already tried in MX.

    Best of luck to all of you.

    Hey Ty, just saw this stuff pop up and was sitting around doing nothing here at Sea Slaughter so I figured I would post up....

    Don't stress it dude. If it wasn't you riding out in front of the pack wondering why everyone else was so slow, it would be someone else! You aren't doing anything wrong. Last year everyone was hassling me about going "Pro" because I was winning. Thanks to you and Marco all the pressure is off of me now!

    Good luck today! Gonna be a hot one out there on those long gravel roads!!!!!
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    301
    good luck Ty!
    Last edited by uncreative; 04-20-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    29
    Maybe USAC should downgrade some pros to give Ty some competition. I race pro with a full time job because it motivates me by exposing my weaknesses. But honestly, if USAC told me I had to downgrade to cat 1 (along with a lot of other working "pros"), I would have no problem with that because I'm really not that fast. A policy where the bottom third of all ranked pros get downgraded at the end of the year would make cat 1 stronger and give incentive for newer pros to keep working hard.

    I imagine some cat 1 racers might be upset by such a policy.

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Quote Originally Posted by RiKMc View Post
    Maybe USAC should downgrade some pros to give Ty some competition. I race pro with a full time job because it motivates me by exposing my weaknesses. But honestly, if USAC told me I had to downgrade to cat 1 (along with a lot of other working "pros"), I would have no problem with that because I'm really not that fast. A policy where the bottom third of all ranked pros get downgraded at the end of the year would make cat 1 stronger and give incentive for newer pros to keep working hard.

    I imagine some cat 1 racers might be upset by such a policy.
    not really. CAT1 Nationals has been dominated by ex-pros. there are a few local pros i know are about my speed and i wouldn't mind having them in CAT1 where we all get to finish our races instead of getting pulled....

    also if you check yesterday's results, Marco beat Ty by several minutes. i was pretty dominant in my AG last year and I was over 13 minutes back from Marco in 4th. nothing wrong with filling that 13 minutes with ex local pros IMO. would provide for better racing IMO.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    17
    What a surprise for Sea Otter 2012... Ty and Marco destroy their CAT1 group by more than 10 minutes, and are the fastest CAT1 riders of the day by a large margin!

    Ty, by your logic, there should only really be a handful of actual "Pro" riders in the US since only a few of them make enough from riding to train full time and not hold down some sort additional employment. Correct? The remainder of the "working pro" riders should just downgrade to CAT1, since they are not making a living by riding bikes, right?

    Your continued domination of CAT1 basically offends the core values of Sportsmanship, Integrity, and Fair Play. Somewhat like clubbing baby seals or shooting fish in a barrel, there just isn't any Honor in what you guys are doing.

  24. #49
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,768
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderbikes View Post
    What a surprise for Sea Otter 2012... Ty and Marco destroy their CAT1 group by more than 10 minutes, and are the fastest CAT1 riders of the day by a large margin!

    Ty, by your logic, there should only really be a handful of actual "Pro" riders in the US since only a few of them make enough from riding to train full time and not hold down some sort additional employment. Correct? The remainder of the "working pro" riders should just downgrade to CAT1, since they are not making a living by riding bikes, right?

    Your continued domination of CAT1 basically offends the core values of Sportsmanship, Integrity, and Fair Play. Somewhat like clubbing baby seals or shooting fish in a barrel, there just isn't any Honor in what you guys are doing.
    So now Marco needs to turn pro? Who cares about this unless they are forcing YOU off the podium. I don't mind that I end up mid-pack as opposed to "closer" to the podium because of guys like Marco, Justin and Ty. If anything, these guys inspire me to train harder Keep up the good work fellas.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    245
    Look how many years Tinker or Ned could have dominated there age group class, but no most of the time they challenge themselves with the pros...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •