Thread: Tire Selection

mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Tire Selection

Can anyone tell me it is more of a hard pack trail or all sand or what?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    XC, btw.

Your Best Friend
    I'd also like to know. Planning on running Kenda Small Block 8's. Someone let us know!

FTM
    I ran SB 8s last year and they worked out well, I'm planning on running Conti Race Kings 2.2 this year.

The two really sandy sections (deep sand) are on steepish downhills - put your weight back and slide down, turning with your body weight (kind of like skiing)
    Last edited by FTM; 03-11-2009 at 10:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Small Block 8's work great!

The Kenda Small Block 8's work great for the xc course. Another favorite is the Racing Ralph for that area.

Your Best Friend
    Thanks guys, I'll be running the Small Block 8's on my new 29er then. Appreciate the heads up.

mtbr member
    Yeah mostly hardpack with a couple sandy downhills. Larson TT's have worked really well there. And last year Specialized Fast Trak LT's worked really well in the dry conditions. I'll be running either WTB Exiwolfs or Wolverines depending on how wet it is this year.
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

mtbr member
    May 2006

Kenda this year...

I have a set of Kenda Karma 2.0 and a set of Small Block Eight 1.95 ready to go for my new Giant Anthem X. The SB8 will roll a little faster, but might suffer a bit if it's wet. I'm 99% sure I'm gonna roll the dice with the SB8 set at 40-42 psi and shoot for my fastest time ever. I'll weigh right around 200 lbs at the starting line.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I have also considered the SB8 1.95 on the rear with a karma 2.0 on the front. Just bought a set of really nice and light wheels just for race and I dont want to heavy them up with tires.

mtbr member
    If you had a choice?

Kenda Small Block 8?

or

Panaracer Rampage?

Sea Otter XC Clydesdale Full Suspension 29er.

Your Best Friend
    Those are two VERY different tires for VERY different things. Bring them both. However, if it is dry then use the SB8's, plus they will be over 1lb lighter!

mtbr member
    Thank you Silentfoe.

Exactly the info I needed.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    I have 26" Nevegal 2.10s front and back.

If you don't want to read the rest, the question is "what rear tire that won't slip in the dry?"

It could be my riding style, or possibly misfit bike, or whatever; but I have a general problem with the rear wheel slipping in the dry.

No matter how sticky, Nevegals are not good at the rear for me. The ramped center threads look like made to slip under torque anyway and I tried running the previous Nevegal reverse but it didn't help.

Are there others who think the same? What rear tire have you found to be better than Nevegal? SB8? Do those work well only in the dry?

I remember liking Conti Vertical Pros. Should I go back to those? If so, Conti may have a better model these days? They were long lasting too...

Ali

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was thinking about rocking Nevegals (2.1) in the front and SB8's (1.9) in the rear. Yes or no?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

rode the course this weekend

Last year I rode a conti vertical pro 2.3 in the front and a SB8 in the rear. I was happy with this combination. I liked the extra volume of the conti in the sandy section. This year things are a little different it has been wetter and I rode it on Sunday on Nevgal 2.1ís front and rear. There was small amount of wheel spin but I was able to ride everything except the section where someone was coming down. The trail is a little more rutted than last year and unless it dries a lot in the next few weeks I am sticking with the Nevgals. You donít need anything more aggressive than the Nevgals but the SB8 may have some challenges if we get some rain.

I also rode it 3 weeks ago and it was drier and I saw some SB8 tracks.

American Icon

sb 8

I ride the ord quite a bit... I really like a small block 8 on the rear wheel (I have a 2.1, but a smaller tire for the race should be good).

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    ok, tire setup complete. SB8 1.95 on the rear. Karma 2.1 on fromt. Sun ringle black flag wheels. should be pretty lite.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I will use MaxxLite310 if dry, and Maxxis Advantage if wet. See you all there!

Freedom Isn't Free
    SB8 rear and Nevegals front (tubeless w/Stans) last year w/great success. If it rains, SB8 will not be ideal.

mtbr member
    Stan's Crow on the rear run tubeless at low-ish 25 psi.

Kenda Karma StickE on the front at 25 psi.

Both light. The Crow is really really fast. The crow is used by a lot of the top finishers at the Leadville 100, both front and rear by Lance and last years and for the past many years winner.