SS Gearing at SOC

Printable View

• 12-20-2012
    scfreak
    SS Gearing at SOC
    Signed up for the XC race this year at SOC with my SS HT29 :thumbsup:

currently set up 32x20 but looking for opinions on what will work best?
  • 12-20-2012
    Leopold Porkstacker
    You may run out of revs on the flats. Some dudes were running 32x17, and one hardcore dude was running a 34x18.
  • 12-20-2012
    scfreak
    I have a 18 I may run depending on the conditions (of me:)
  • 12-23-2012
    Tyrone Shoelaces
    Hard to say when you don't mention which SS race you are doing.

If you are doing the 40 mile Cat 1 race 32x20 could be good

If you are doing the 20 mile Cat 2 race, then you can bet that the lead group will be geared a few teeth less in back.

I think there is a Cat 3 SS race too
  • 01-14-2013
    ospreypacks
    SS gearing is always a matter of personal preference, strength and fitness but I will say the Sea Otter course is pretty tough on one gear. I rode it two years ago on a Trek SuperFly SS 29er with 32x18. Gearing was pretty good on the first lap but the second lap started to hurt a bit. Most of the climbs were relatively short but a few were really steep. Overall I think a little harder gear is an advantage with the short climbs because you really don't lose that much time if you have to get off and run a short distance but you can lose a lot on the rest of the course by spinning out in too easy of a gear.
  • 01-31-2013
    IMBAcile
    I ride portions of the course about 3 to 4 times a week on a 34x18 and it is great when I've been consistent but just a bit too much if I have been a slacker.