mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Shout out to the GREAT people at Sea Otter

This was my first MTB XC race and so many things did not go as well as I would like BUT, there are a few folks I wanted to thank for allowing me to cross the finish line RIDING my bike!

Folks at Kenda who swapped out a flat UST tire 10 minutes before my race... Eventhough I didnt have any cash.

The nice guy that stopped towards the end that gave me a powerlink for my broken chain, and a guy named Brandon who let me borrow his Chain Breaker to remove the bent piece of chain!

The guys in the Fox Truck that ran out of the car to let me know that my wallet was falling out of my Camel Back.

The guy at the parking lot who offered me a new chain after my chain broke again after the race.

I couldn't believe the amazing group of people who were willing to do things out of their way for complete strangers!

OH!!!!

Thumbs down to the guys at KMC who scolded me for using a non KMC powerlink, when I showed them their broken chain. They were quick to offer me the "show price" of their ultralite chain!!!!! I guess that's what you get when you send "non-racers" to represent your product booth. They don't understand that in a race situation you will use anything to get your bike running. Terrible product support.... SRAM and Shimano chains for me!

I can't wait for Sea Otter 2010

XC rider
    Shout out to GT and the Gold Diggers! You all rock!
    ccorc.org

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    I think mountain biking has one of the best crowds! Biker, dealer, manufacturer, their families, all very good...

Quote Originally Posted by joec500
    Thumbs down to the guys at KMC who scolded me for using a non KMC powerlink
    They were in a very good mood when I visited their booth. I bought my first KMC chain on Saturday. The very helpful and nice lady who was visiting from Taiwan gave me a free link and I gave her a hug in return.

Ali

Coyotewoman

First timers

It was the first evar SOC for us 4.We had no idea what to expect.What a great show.
    We fell in love with dual slalom racing.To watch,and is there some way to learn how to do that says this mature(that's the nice word for old") die hard XC rider me?
    Ya,it was hairy sometimes dodging the bike traffic but we will be back with ours next year!Would have been a big help getting around to the races.And one of the best things about the day was seeing all the bikes you have only seen in magazines,5000$+ bikes being ridden,with dirt on them even!
    Our roadie friend demoing a 5500$ road bike,first ever ride on a full carbon bike.He's hooked.
    I had at least 10 people tell me that it was the best weather for Otter in history too.Boy,some more shade would have been nice.We fought the kids for the shade of the bounce house.
    Me being told to "go ahead and pick it up" ,23lbs. with pedals,full suspension.
    I'm looking around my house right now.Gotta be something here I can sell.
    Best overheard conversation of the 2 days-"Dude!How am I?! I have the worlds greatest wife!We wake up this morning and she says"It's the Sea Otter Classic!We have to go!"."Never mind she's 8 months pregnant!""And swag!She was a swag magnet!They could not give her enough!""You need a pregnant chick with you!."
    I don't think I want to see a electro-lite,recovery, help you out,drink ever again.But if they had not been handing them out we might have died of dehydration because there were not much to choose from in the drink department and you could go broke quick paying for it.
    A big thank you to everyone for the freebies,samples, information and everything else.
    And finally, a special mention of the KALI PROTECTIVES booth.The owner pulled four ,7 hours in the sun,fried,average joes, out of the crowed at the end of the day and invited us in to his booth.Gave us the BEST roast pig sandwich EVAR,just to be nice,not selling us something.It was the perfect ending to a great day.
    We will be back next year!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'll say thanks to Cytomax specifically. Best booth of the event. They had coolers out with a big selection of their drinks. All self-serve and there for you to use as you wanted. Sample or fill your bottles up. They even had a water only jug (water was surprisingly scarce). They also had the big bucket with their bottled drinks for you to take. Plus the giveaways and the live music and the free barbeque. Thanks Cytomax.