mtbr member
    Dec 2009

... and if we just ... Sea Otter XC TIRES

Hey, I will be racing the 12 mile xc loop with a 26 fully. What do you recommend in terms of tires? (just want to hear your opinions)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm running Specialized The Captain S Works 2.0 on the front and Specialized Fast Trax 2.0 on the rear. I have been running these tires in the recent CCCX races which are held at Fort Ord on similar terrain.

mtbr member
    WTB Nano's or WTB Wolverine's... light, fast, Also works well for CCCX CCCCCCCXOXOXO XC races.

Q

mtbr member
    Anybody have any opinions on Wierwolf LTs for SOC XC on my 29er hardtail? They came mounted with the used wheelset I bought, but I'm not sure how they will do out there. Also have one WTB Prowler tire I could put on front or rear. Then I was reading reviews about the WTB Wolverines and thought they might be a good option?

I ran WTB Motoraptors on my full suspension 26er last year and am still not confident in the limited tread of the Wierwolf LTs, but it might just be a psychological thing.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvers
    Anybody have any opinions on Wierwolf LTs for SOC XC on my 29er hardtail? They came mounted with the used wheelset I bought, but I'm not sure how they will do out there. Also have one WTB Prowler tire I could put on front or rear. Then I was reading reviews about the WTB Wolverines and thought they might be a good option?

I ran WTB Motoraptors on my full suspension 26er last year and am still not confident in the limited tread of the Wierwolf LTs, but it might just be a psychological thing.
    The LT's would be fine I'm sure, but maybe a little heavier than what you need. SOC is not a very technical course so IMO I don't think you need a lot of knobs. Last year I ran Small Block 8's on my 29'er hardtail and was able to podium out of a large Cat 2 single speed field.

I am used to running minimal tread however, so if it's a psychological thing holding you back from running a lower tread tire, then maybe listen to it to give yourself some peace of mind at the start line. Do you have time to get some time in on the LT before the race? Take it out for a few rides and test it out and see what you think.

Despite the rains earlier this week, I'm going light and minimal tread again this year. Maxxis Aspen up front, Stan's Crow in the rear. I haven't even ridden the Crow yet, but will a few times this week. If it's too minimal for me, I'll take it off, move the Aspen to the rear, and put a Racing Ralph up front.

mtbr member
    If it's dry, which the weather forcast predicts (cross your fingers!), low tread and your lightest tire will do best. One with good cornering knobs is good for the loose over hardpack/sandy sections. Last year in the hot/dry I ran the WTB Nano front WTB Vulpine rear combo on my 26er full suspension. They worked great so I'll be running the same thing this year if it stays dry, but with the redesigned Vulpine 1.9 SL on the rear which has better side bite. If it gets wet and sloppy I'd throw on the WTB Wolverine 1.95's.
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

Lusus Naturae
    Pretty much any tires will be okay here. With the rain in the past couple days the terrain will be less sandy than expected. Running Fasttrak LK in front and Control in back.

mtbr member
    WTB Vulpine 1,9 on the Rear Kenda SB8 2.0 up front
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    Word is that Kenda will have their new Slant Six available at Sea Otter.