Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    106

    Sea otter tires??

    I'm coming from Minnesota to race the XC race at Sea Otter...what do you locals recommend for a FS 29er for tires??

  2. #2
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,728
    Whatever tires youíre comfortable running on mixed surfacesóloose sandy stuff, gravel, and hardpack.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    106
    Anyone with more specific personal recommendations??

  4. #4
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,210
    This is very, very good. Just In: Panaracer Driver Pro 29er tire | Mountain Bike Review

    Big, fast on the middle tread and good cornering knobs on the transition and sides.

    You better be on a 29er btw.

    Other tires are Kenda SB8, Specialized Renegade. These are very fast tires that are sketchy but designed to go fast and very tame trails that are just hardpacked and sandy in parts.

    fc

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    245
    It's mostly hard pack with a few sandy sections and a fast gravel one. I was really happy with combo of Spec Fast track 2.0 in front and a Renegade 1.95 in the rear. I've done Stan Crow on a 26'er in years past and liked those also.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aliikane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    565
    Anything light and fast rolling for hard pack and gravely fire road type surfaces. Schwalbe Rocket Ron or Nobby Nic is pretty good. It's a pretty fast track if you are doing the novice course.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Anything light and fast rolling for hard pack and gravely fire road type surfaces. Schwalbe Rocket Ron or Nobby Nic is pretty good. It's a pretty fast track if you are doing the novice course.
    Doing the Cat 2 race. Thinking Maxxis Ikon front and S-Works Renegade rear....any thoughts??

  8. #8
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,728
    LOL! I wonít even bother sharing my planned tire configuration, except for this subtle hint: Iíll be racing my 9:zero:7 fatbike. LOL! Oh, and Iíll be racing Cat 2 as well.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    LOL! I wonít even bother sharing my planned tire configuration, except for this subtle hint: Iíll be racing my 9:zero:7 fatbike. LOL! Oh, and Iíll be racing Cat 2 as well.
    I have a 9:zero:7 too....but that will be staying home ;-) not enough room in bike case for fatness. But if I was using mine the only tire I'd consider would start with husker and end with du, but shhhhh it's secret :-D

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,537
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    You better be on a 29er
    This Filipino sad boy got nutin'

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    37

    Low Rolling Resistance Tires

    Your suggestion to use the Ikon and the Renegade sounds like a good set up for sure. Really you want the fastest tires you can get your hands on. There is nothing that is too technical that you need very aggressive tread and there are many sections of smooth straights that you want to keep the fastest average speed you can. Of course if it rains then all that goes out the window. Then you'll need something with more bite and can clean itself quickly. I've run on my 29er hardtails the Kenda Karma and for either rain or shine there is no downside to it there at Sea Otter. Its fast enough if its dry and if it rains well its better than most. Good thing is that Kenda will be there selling tires so you could come with the tires you plan to race and get something else if conditions change. Be warned that they sell out early so if thinking about it at all go to the Kenda booth Thrusday and pull the trigger. Good luck!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by crossmax View Post
    Your suggestion to use the Ikon and the Renegade sounds like a good set up for sure. Really you want the fastest tires you can get your hands on. There is nothing that is too technical that you need very aggressive tread and there are many sections of smooth straights that you want to keep the fastest average speed you can. Of course if it rains then all that goes out the window. Then you'll need something with more bite and can clean itself quickly. I've run on my 29er hardtails the Kenda Karma and for either rain or shine there is no downside to it there at Sea Otter. Its fast enough if its dry and if it rains well its better than most. Good thing is that Kenda will be there selling tires so you could come with the tires you plan to race and get something else if conditions change. Be warned that they sell out early so if thinking about it at all go to the Kenda booth Thrusday and pull the trigger. Good luck!
    SOLID advice. Only I'd suggest something like a Sp. S-Works Ground Control for your front tire.
    - Those downhill DG corners are not fun with a super low-knob tire up front.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    SOLID advice. Only I'd suggest something like a Sp. S-Works Ground Control for your front tire.
    - Those downhill DG corners are not fun with a super low-knob tire up front.
    How about Bontrager 29-2 as a front tire?? I have what some might call a BIT of a tire obsession. :-)

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    23
    If you have an obsession then use what you are obsessed with. As already stated it's hardpack with many sections with a thin layer of sand over hardpack. There are a couple short sections of deep beach-like sand. Not very technical and some long sections of hardpack fireroad on the backstretch. A little pavement mixed in. If you have a favorite hardpack racing tire use it. I have used SB 8 26er and Maxxis Aspen 29er with 3 podium finishes in Cat 1. Maxxis Aspens tend to have rear tire sidewall failures using Stans.
    This year I will probably use a 29er Fasttrack and a Maxxis Ikon, because they are what's on my bike right now and they're low rolling resistance tires. Tubeless setup - of course.
    Cycling - What else is there?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by jreinan01 View Post
    How about Bontrager 29-2 as a front tire?? I have what some might call a BIT of a tire obsession. :-)
    I have honestly NOT rode a single Bontrager tire in many years. Specialized & Schwalbe have adorned my bikes for a looooooooong time.

    Frankly, I would never buy a Schwalbe at full MSRP. Not worth it IMO. Thankfully, they sell em for $40 at the Sea Otter so check that booth early too!

    I stand by my rec's, especially the Specialized tires. Heck, they're a semi-local company and test around here. . . . . . They WORK.


  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    37

    Sea Otter Course Conditions Report

    So I road the course today around 4pm. The course has a lot of sand and some deep sand sections and sand sections it high speed areas. There is no mud and the course is firming up even more with the dry but cool weather. There is a lot of gravely fire roads that are very sketchy especially on the downhill, escentially pea gravel over asphalt as the ground below it rock hard. Its fast at the top of it but as you get near the bottom it stars to go off camber with a hairpin switchback reverse back up at the bottom so stopping there and steering into is a real issue. There is a lot of fireroad between the single trak sections so ample places to pass all along the track. Some of there fire roads a kinda soft, the gravel sketchy nightmare, some full on asphalt. Fast tires are what you want but you need something that is wide and ballonish to float up on top of the sand pits. Skinny tires 1.9 or less would be a mistake in my opinion unless you plan to win the race on the track at the beginning or the end. Good luck to all as there are some really slippery parts out there that come up fast if not expected. With all the rain they had last week some of the steep downhill sections have some serious rain ruts in areas where you normally would be bombing so its gonna be some thing to contest with others who will still want to bomb it and others who want to come back with most of their skin.
    Good luck to all racers and tear it up out there.

  17. #17
    Lusus Naturae
    Reputation: NoBalance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,797
    Running Fast Trak 2.0 and Renegade 1.95 in back on Air 9 Carbon. Still trying to decide how much air to put in.

    Yes, keep your eyes open for ruts in all situations. Best is to try and ride fast downhill fireroads with as much space between other rides, so you can pick your lines.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: quicklaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    319
    WTB Nano 2.0 front and rear on a 29 HT. Don't put bigger tires on for sandy sections, probably 5-10% of the course. hardpack, jeep trail, road, and DG make up 85% of the loop... no need to suffer on the climbs and fast jeep trail sections for a couple corners or 1 10 yard sand pit. might be a little loose on the downhill stuff, but we all know you dont makeup major (any really) time on the DH segments. just sayin...

    Q

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Buzkil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by crossmax View Post
    With all the rain they had last week some of the steep downhill sections have some serious rain ruts in areas where you normally would be bombing so its gonna be some thing to contest with others who will still want to bomb it and others who want to come back with most of their skin.
    Good luck to all racers and tear it up out there.
    this was me, I bombed a section 4 weeks ago and then last sunday that same section had a tire eating rut that threw me OTB into a bush.
    To love me is to rep me, world domination is eminent/imminent/immanent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •