Thread: Sea Otter tips

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Sea Otter tips

This will be my first time attending, will be just a spectator on Saturday only. Any tips? Should I take my bike to get around on? What about parking? Any must do's ? Any don't bother?

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Tip one: Don't take your bike! There will be a TON of new bikes to demo, so ride one of those. All the big manufacturers will have a fleet of bikes to try, in various sizes. But be sure to bring your helmet, shoes, and maybe even your pedals to be on the safe side.

Parking is free, but entry into the event for non-racers, participants is $10 per day.

Must do's? For a Saturday attendee, check out the Dual Slalom pro finals! One of the best events to spectate. We have a full event schedule here: http://seaotter.mtbr.com/schedule/ Looks like Pro DS finals starts at 4pm Saturday (which, ahem, is the same time as the Mtbr prize raffle...)

The DH is interesting too, but is quite a hike away from the rest of the Expo area...so unless your a DH diehard...maximize your time and skip that.

Oh, and save a few $$$ and pack your own food. The food for sale is actually pretty good, but it ain't cheap. If you hang around late enough in the day (and are 21 or older), a few booths have free beer flowing too. Just be sure to allow enough time to "dry out" before getting back in your vehicle for the trip home

-g
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

Pin it
    Bring beer to trade for sweeter deals, especially late sunday when vendors are trying to get rid of stuff. Can Also be traded for food, or drank to make the event that much more fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I haven't been to SeaOtter in a while, are parts sold pretty cheap from the vendors or are they pretty over priced? Better question is, is it cheaper for me to buy parts online or wait for SO?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast
    I haven't been to SeaOtter in a while, are parts sold pretty cheap from the vendors or are they pretty over priced? Better question is, is it cheaper for me to buy parts online or wait for SO?
    No clear answer. Some shops have deals, some do not. Really depends on what your are looking for.

Nobody inflates component prices at SO.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast

One important thing to distinguish here, is that most major manufacturers are showing new product, not selling. They don't have the stock or the payment process in place for selling on site. That said, there are a couple of acceptions, like small manufacturers that may sell their small parts (usually for cash). Or clothing vendors like Voler, who are selling closeout goods (actually some good deals to be had at their booth.)

There are some retailers there too. Cambria Bicycle Outfitters always has a big booth there.

So, depends on what you are looking to buy, I guess.

-g
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel