mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Sea Otter Strategy

I have a $300 bet with a pal, and we are pretty close in ability. Now I need the help of MTBR to gain a competitive advantage. We are doing one lap.

1) I have a Turner Burner and a Maverick Durance. I will be running SB8 tires. Which bike should I use?

2) I believe that I can outclimb him on the last 2 mile fireroad. How long it is from the crest of the hill to the finish line? I don't want to blow up on the decent.

3) Has anyone done a basic breakdown of the sections for us So.Cal guys to learn from? If someone test rides the coarse, it would be great to deliver mile markers on significant sections.

Thanks everyone! And get out of my way so that I can win the $300!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sorry, I don't have the detailed course info you want, but your tire choice is a good start. I took 7th in my category last year and my son took 1st in his, using SB 8's.

It's all downhill from the crest of the hill to the finish. How are you going to blow up? Use up all you think you have to crest the last hill and adrenaline and gravity will get you to the finish line.

Use the lightest bike you have. I will be using a 21 lb HT. Not much need for FS, on the XC course, at SO.
    Cycling - What else is there?

pewpewpew Moderator
    I agree: if you can beat him up the last climb, including where the crest levels out a bit, then you will beat him. The final descent empties into a singletrack section that as I recall wasn't the easiest to pass on.

The best way to beat your bud? Find a way to pre-ride the course, or at least the last 5 miles. Knowing where you can empty the tank will be the best strategy.
    Love, Impy

Rides a sledgehammer
    Not sure about anyone else, but I will save my last big burst of energy until that right hand turn where the port-a-potties are. Then just click into a few higher gears and make myself SUFFER!.....Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by guapo1
    Sorry, I don't have the detailed course info you want, but your tire choice is a good start. I took 7th in my category last year and my son took 1st in his, using SB 8's.

It's all downhill from the crest of the hill to the finish. How are you going to blow up? Use up all you think you have to crest the last hill and adrenaline and gravity will get you to the finish line.

Use the lightest bike you have. I will be using a 21 lb HT. Not much need for FS, on the XC course, at SO.
    I'm debating between either bringing a FS rig or a 69er rigid HT. Will I be okay with the rigid?

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    The best way to beat your bud? Find a way to pre-ride the course, or at least the last 5 miles. Knowing where you can empty the tank will be the best strategy.
    Is there a way to cut the course during the pre-ride so i don't have ride the entire 19 miles two days before the race?

Lusus Naturae
    Yup, you can cut right just before the real steep climb. Basically this would be the same 10 mile course the beginner women do, I think.

Rides a sledgehammer
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    Yup, you can cut right just before the real steep climb. Basically this would be the same 10 mile course the beginner women do, I think.

I think this is also the Clydesdale course. The fire road taks you back up to the racetrack, making a 10 mile loop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    I'm debating between either bringing a FS rig or a 69er rigid HT. Will I be okay with the rigid?
    I did a pre-ride 2 weeks ago in a 26" HT. The down hills are scary fast even on my hard tail, so you won't loose much time there. The climing is for ever and they are not very rough.
    I have a lock out on my SID fork and I used it a lot.
    To me and my bikes it is not wortht he 5lb penalty and pedal bob.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mytrustysteed
    I think this is also the Clydesdale course. The fire road taks you back up to the racetrack, making a 10 mile loop.
    The clydesdales will be doing the same 19 mile loop because of last year's mis-signage.

ballbuster

Easy...

Quote Originally Posted by pjorosco
    I have a $300 bet with a pal, and we are pretty close in ability. Now I need the help of MTBR to gain a competitive advantage. We are doing one lap.

1) I have a Turner Burner and a Maverick Durance. I will be running SB8 tires. Which bike should I use?

2) I believe that I can outclimb him on the last 2 mile fireroad. How long it is from the crest of the hill to the finish line? I don't want to blow up on the decent.

3) Has anyone done a basic breakdown of the sections for us So.Cal guys to learn from? If someone test rides the coarse, it would be great to deliver mile markers on significant sections.

Thanks everyone! And get out of my way so that I can win the $300!
    Go that way real fast. If something gets in your way, turn!

Failing that, you can psych him out, too. 'Whoa. Dude, I think your frame is cracked' (as he starts to pass).