Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WebInt
    I love reading all the cry baby comments about sandbagging. Here is a tip. Get faster and shut up. Those that cry are those usually that just missed the podium. Too bad someone was faster. Just for fun I googled each of the top guys in 4 classes close to me. Not one did a Cat 1 race and not one appeared in any cat 2 races last year. Guess what? These are guys that train hard and spend the year at Cat2. Some might not have the wins to upgrade or some might be racing first time mountain and are finishing out a season.

A sandbagger is NOT someone that is faster then you which most you crying here apparently think. Let's see where these winners race next year. Cat2? Then yes, sandbagger. Cat1? Then all part of the cycle of racing.

Looking at the top guys. Does anyone know one that cat'ed down from races? Does anyone know someone that has been winning year in and year out and not cat'ed up? Or are you all just guessing to bad mouth so it makes your place on the results feel better? Serious question.
    I can agree, yet I can disagree. If you go into a race knowing you are racing with people who are not at your level and using a license to hide behind saying ohh well I don't have a license, you are a sandbagger. On the other hand if you are just putting your time in to get your upgrade then no your not a sandbagger. I have got comments this year that I am sandbagging, but honestly this being my first year racing I think Cat2 is exactly where I need to be. It helps me get familiar with the courses, it helps me to get comfortable with racing strategy, and it plain out just helps fitness.
    I lost a podium spot by 3 sec. at Sea Otter this year which would have been really cool instead I got 4th. The three who beat me all race Pro/Cat1 road races. How do I know this, because they told me after while talking. Is that sandbagging? Here is my take... If they are honestly trying to make a transition to mountain biking then hey go for it. I am sure if they petitioned they would be granted a Cat1 mountain license, but hey I understand wanting to work your way up. The problem I have is that I will bet not one of them does another mountain bike race this year. They were at the Sea Otter for their road event and just decided to do the XC race. Not one of them used there UCI License number to keep track of points so I know they could care less about that.
    My bottom line however, am I mad I lost.. yeah,do I think it's fair... no not really, am I mad at them... no not at all. I race because I want to get faster and push myself so whether I race faster people now or in a year from now it's good to see where you sit.

Chris

Old school BMXer
    /\ /\ /\ /\
    Pot meet Kettle. 3 seconds off from CAT 1 road racers? You're a sandbagger, regardless how long you've been racing. Perhaps it was those guys' first XC race, so they're less of sandbaggers than you.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    /\ /\ /\ /\
    Pot meet Kettle. 3 seconds off from CAT 1 road racers? You're a sandbagger, regardless how long you've been racing. Perhaps it was those guys' first XC race, so they're less of sandbaggers than you.
    If you would have read and understood what I said, you would see that I said if they were trying to make a move over to racing mountain bikes I completely understand having to put your races in to qualify for your Cat1 upgrade, but none of them used their license numbers to keep track so to me that says they could care less and did it because they were there. As for me being a sandbagger to each his own I guess. I have only been riding for 2 years now and this is my first year racing, I could have started in Cat3 and said hey well I am a newb to racing which would have been sandbagging for sure. Instead I put myself in Cat2 which allows me to get races under my belt and help get me Cat1 eligible. Now if I am still racing Cat2 next year please feel free to call me a sandbagger. Ill even ride around with tow lines off my seat to help people on climbs.

Chris

mnoutain bkie rdier
    If the cat 2 racer has been dominating the previous season at their local races then they should cat up. simple. same applies for cat 3 needing to go cat 2.

considering that most racers are from the west and have already began their season bec. the weather is great out here, they should know.

This is what I have done.

I earned a top 5 or better in nearly every age group at s.o.c and have been doing fairly well in my so cal series. I will cat up next year.

I want to measure my abilities/fitness with better riders. Keep it simple.

Oh...and I was told that the guy who won my field is a local fast cat 3 roadie with enough points to go cat 2 road. Not sure if the is accurate or not...just what I was told.. If this is true, then he had the fitness of cat 1, but chose to race cat 2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I raced back in the mid 90's for 3 years. One season of Beginner then the rest in Sport. I came in top 10-15 in Sport back in the day.

Put down bikes for 11 years and started to ride a lot. I waited almost a year to start racing to begin the season fresh. Before the season I told myself I would race one season as a cat 3 and no matter what move to cat 2 after the 8 race season. I came in 2nd in the first race then 5 straight firsts and a 14th in the last race because of a flat ( I was leading when I flatted). I didn't win the series because I didn't understand how the trail work for a first place points thing worked even though I had a perfect record 5 out of the 8 races counted. Was I sandbagging, maybe but I was within the stated rules.

One day after the last race I upgraded myself to Cat2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You know if you are a sandbagger.............I know, those prizes are so valuable

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I haven't read all of the posts in this thread. So, someone might have already commented about what I'm going to say. I started racing DH years ago in Port Angeles, WA. They have different DH courses for the Pro/CAT1 riders which are harder, steeper, with jumps/drops. The CAT2/3 racers course was significantly easier from a DH perspective. I tried really hard to podium in CAT2 so I could race in the 'much more fun and challenging' Pro/CAT1 race course. I haven't made the podium in CAT1 yet, but I enjoy the course much more with my USAC license DH CAT1 designation. Not sure if SOC has different courses for the CATEGORIES? If they did...It might encourage people to move up in CAT if they're a better rider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Was the cat 2 course longer than the cat 3?
    There are a lot of sand baggers at Sea Otter -

Dark Horse Racing
    There is only one DH course at Sea Otter, everyone races it and its a Cat 2/3 course, every jump is pretty much rollable and only a handful of rocks if any. As for the XC courses I have no idea.
    Last edited by Scrub; 04-15-2012 at 12:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by surfstar1 View Post
    I was just checking results from last year and this guy won Cat 3, 40 - 44 and had a better time than the winner of the Cat 2, 40 - 44.

We should call out all of these sandbaggers.
    Sorry, I did not realize you were talking about the DH - it is one course.
    The XC is different. The first time I did beginner it was the same as sport, the next year they changed it and it ticked me off!
    Last year the cat 32 was 16 miles and about 2450 climbing. I did it and can send my GPS.
    This year and last year the sport is 20 miles and about 3550 elevation - so the cat 2 is four miles longer and 1000 more feet of climbing for XC.

Good luck everybody!

Dude, got any schwag?

Aaaaahhhh!!!

I signed up for Cat 2 XC to motivate myself over the winter. Didn't really work. I'm in better shape than last year, but NOT READY. Looks like 97th place again. Still stoked to be going though.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

ballbuster
    Heh... I'm reverse sandbagging. What is that, posing?

I do the CAT2 Singlespeed race because 1) it's on Sunday. 2) the race is longer.

I fully expect to end up in the bottom 20%, but that's okay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    For guys like me this is my first time ever racing, so when I come last in CAT 2 dont make fun of me and say i was reverse sand bagging ok guys

SIDE note, For guys that are racing the very first time, how do they know where they stack up, now for guys who are racing all the time this is a different story.

PS dont heckle the slow guy in CAT 2 DH this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post

I do the CAT2 Singlespeed race because 1) it's on Sunday. 2) the race is longer.

i'll be here with you next year, for my first race ever I wanted to try it with gears.
    To love me is to rep me, world domination is eminent/imminent/immanent.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006

Same here. But more correctly, you and I were right around at the bottom 30% mark. Not bad!

This will be my fourth (or fifth?) Sea Otter. I've always raced Cat 2 singlespeed because I am clearly not a beginner and I am not even close to the top of Cat 2. My goal is to finish better every year and I've been succeeding on that.

Ali

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It would be nice if Sea Otter would take a more proactive stance on this. I just finished fourth this year and saw that the guy who finished 2nd finished 3rd last year in the same Cat 3 category. If you podium you should move up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    well, first, congrats on taking 4th - and second, I agree! The rider who took first last year in my category is racing it again this year? First! - so if she finishes first tomorrow, she has two first place for the exact same course and Cat 2? - Certainly if you take 1st at podium, you should move up! I am not having any expectations with so many sand baggers - Try and just ride fast and have FUN!
    thanks for posting - and I am with you 100%%!!

mtbr member
    You cannot compare the CAT3 times with the CAT2 times. Different course for CAT2 (Longer and more elevation/climbing) Of course the CAT3 times would look faster with a shorter/easier course.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I came in 29th of 41 in my category. Pretty sure there were 28 sandbaggers in the age group, including that grrrah guy.
    My first ever race was SOC and I went ahead and entered Cat 3 Clydedale XC and I thought I did pretty well, right off the line there was a group of 7 sandbaggers that all lined up single file and were gone into the fog and I never saw them again! I even passed all of the 60+ men and most of the 55-59 men. Climbing out skyline I got passed by a really cool dude name John on a single speed 29er (also in my Clydesdale class) and that is where we finished! I was stoked to get 9th of 44 riders...considering 5 of my class were mainly concerned with what toppings would be on the pizza at the feed station and what desert was to be served, I knew I would place top 39 for sure! So 9th was awesome!

The aforementioned John guy that passed me on skyline has my total respect, but I did feel like a slowpoke being passed by a single speed!

-------------

Bottom line with this entire thread is, everyone has a sand bagger or six in their class at SOC or any other race! I have friends in Cat 2 women, Cat 1 and Pro Men and they all know it's what happens. Instead of *****ing and complaining, you train harder and get faster and try to beat those sand baggers and be the better rider!

banned
    Apr 2012
    damn sandwiches

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStarRider View Post
    You cannot compare the CAT3 times with the CAT2 times. Different course for CAT2 (Longer and more elevation/climbing) Of course the CAT3 times would look faster with a shorter/easier course.
    According to my GPS, the section that the cat 3 riders didn't have to ride was about 5.0 miles and 650ft of gain. It took me 22 minutes to complete on my first lap of 2.

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    I went to Sea Otter for the road races and won my crit. I decided very late to sign up for a cyclocross race. It was to be my first cyclocross race ever. I had never practiced dismounts at speed. I had never shouldered a bike prior to this race. And it was to be my second race of the day on Saturday. I picked a beginner cat with few others riders in it. 30 minute race. I had no idea what to expect.

Does this sound like sandbagging?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Biggest problem with Cat 2 sandbaggers is that it's not their fault. Cat 2 is the highest class you can race if you don't have a yearly license. USAC should make non licensed riders race an open class versus selling them a 1 day license and limiting them to Cat2 or lower. Just my take.

As for taking a podium then racing the same class the following year. I agree as well. You podium, you move up.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Sandbagging and winning in cat 2/3 is like people who drive huge lifted trucks, they think they are cool but don't realize everyone just thinks they are a tool.
    "Do not touch the trim"

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    Sandbagging and winning in cat 2/3 is like people who drive huge lifted trucks, they think they are cool but don't realize everyone just thinks they are a tool.
    I disagree. Sometimes it's all about appearance.

As I said earlier in this thread, I won my crit (I'm cat 3 now). A friend tagged me in the podium picture. People asked in the comments, "Wow, are you going professional?" or "I had no idea you were a champion!"

Granted, these are facebook friends who don't ride bikes. But they think I won the entire thing. I responded with, "Haha, no, I'm nowhere near the level of the pros." Friends probably took this as false modesty.

Then there's the swag. Along with two yellow sea otter jerseys, I left with about $500 worth of merchandise.

Now if everyone sandbags, the competition is just that much more intense.

All said, it's become watered down. There were about 600 awards ceremonies. That's 600 yellow jerseys.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast