Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    Cat 1's who only race once a year? Wow. I wish I was that gifted!

Also, JDM makes a good point, but some Cat 3's would probably struggle with the Cat 1 distances perhaps..
    yah really.... Cat 2 is a 20 mile loop and Cat 1 is 40... ouch. 40 miles. No wonder the Cat 2 races are filled with sandbaggers, they dont want to do a 40 mile race!.... I race Expert in a local series and some other stuff and the races are typically 25-28 miles or so...

Q

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Actually… http://web2.puc.edu/Pioneers/NVDC/11%20results.htm

Yes, I placed FIRST overall in Category 3 men’s at the Napa Valley Dirt Classic 2011… within all age groups (I even passed up a substantial number of the Cat 2s within the 35-44 range). So, I need to find out (sooner than later) from the Sea Otter people if I can change from Category 3 to Category 2… otherwise I will have to purposely ride my heavy-ass 47+ pound Surly 1x1 3" wide tire 32x20 singlespeed bike to make up for any “sandbagging” in Category 3. The second place finisher within my category (35-44) was six minutes behind me, so that equates to Category 2 times, methinks. I want to be fair to everyone, yes, I was SIX minutes quicker, that seems a bit unreasonable.

Yes, this race felt too easy, I feel a bit of guilt, almost shame… yet it was my FIRST RACE EVER, so I think I need to just upgrade to Cat 2 and move on.

Seems like you should have entered Cat 2 for SOC then.. They should let you change it when you get (day BEFORE race) there or perhaps over the phone??

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Anyone notice how they broke the age groups up even more to lower the numbers in each field?? I called and asked what was up with that. I kinda got used to the 70+ riders per field thing and thought "that is what makes winning SOC so special".

Anyways, the guy said "It increases your odds of standing on the podium now!!"

mtbr member
    Hey Leopold you and I in same Cat 2 40-42 group...if you can change it. Will be fun to meet you and ride together (till you dust me probably!) And I do recommend you change it. Not because of sandbagging but just because you will get more out of it competing with the faster riders.

What bike you using?
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    Leo, this is my 18th year racing xc, I race Sport Clydesdale or Sport age 50, and you beat me at NVDC by 21 minutes. If I'm being honest, I'm jealous when guys say "it was my first race and I got 1st place!" What's your secret? Years ago, roadies would show up at Sea Otter and race beginner xc and blow away the field, now it's really fit/fast guys who race 1x a year and technically are beginner racers. I've stopped worrying about sandbaggers, and just try to beat guys in my category who I've been racing against for a decade or more. Good luck next Sunday!
    Every day above ground is a great day!

PRETENDURO
    Yep, they are going to let me “upgrade” to Cat 2. I am going there Thursday to pick up my registration information, so I have been informed that I can change things there.

I will be riding Menso DeJong’s old Santa Cruz Superlight (sort of a grey/silver colour). This bike won the Sea Otter twice with him at the helm, I will just be happy to get within the top 20, from the sounds of the Cat 1 sandbagging rumours around here.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmtb
    Leo, this is my 18th year racing xc, I race Sport Clydesdale or Sport age 50, and you beat me at NVDC by 21 minutes. If I'm being honest, I'm jealous when guys say "it was my first race and I got 1st place!" What's your secret? Years ago, roadies would show up at Sea Otter and race beginner xc and blow away the field, now it's really fit/fast guys who race 1x a year and technically are beginner racers. I've stopped worrying about sandbaggers, and just try to beat guys in my category who I've been racing against for a decade or more. Good luck next Sunday!
    Thanks for the compliments. Here is my only reasoning for my performance—my training rides in March, 96% of them having been ridden on a sub-50 pound bike with heavy 65mm wide rims:

http://www.strava.com/komchallenge/l.../results/march
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Leo, I forgot to mention that up until last Sea Otter, I was riding Menso's old SC Blur LT. I still race it at Downieville. Menso convinced me to check out the SC Tallboy, I did, and now I've got a new XXL Tallboy to race next Sunday. It was a sweet ride at NVDC. He's one of the few xc racers taller than me (6'4")

mtbr member
    Leo, I checked out your strava March rides...that's nuts. How on earth can you do back to back to back 3-4 hour rides on a 40lb bike in the hills. 12-16 hour weeks vs. my 6-8 hours. So that's what it takes to podium...I think I'll stay mid-pack sport.

PRETENDURO
    Leo, I checked out your strava March rides...that's nuts. How on earth can you do back to back to back 3-4 hour rides on a 40lb bike in the hills. 12-16 hour weeks vs. my 6-8 hours. So that's what it takes to podium...I think I'll stay mid-pack sport.
    Well, I’ve been unemployed for quite some time with nothing better to do while waiting for “recruiters” to call me back for interviews that have never happened. My goal for March was to ride every day, and to see if I could break 100,000 feet in a month, which I eventually managed. Several of those rides were done while hung over. I guess it turned out to not be all for nothing.

mtbr member
    Cat 1's who only race once a year? Wow. I wish I was that gifted!

Also, JDM makes a good point, but some Cat 3's would probably struggle with the Cat 1 distances perhaps..
    As was pointed out, its racing USAC races once a year. Or even 3-4 USAC races a year. Why pay $75 for a license if you can get 3-4 one day licenses at $10 each. Most of the races around here aren't USAC, in fact when I do an almost full season, I think I hit 3 USAC races. But I'm not anywhere near Cat1 anyways. I benefit from those forced to sanbag in Cat2, and, so goes it. I'm not gonna get my panties in a bunch (as long as I beat my time from last year).

Now broadcasting from CO
    ...I would rather be midpack cat 1 than standing on a podium representing a cat I don't belong in.
    +1 to that man. I could still be racing Expert in my local series (non-USAC), but decided to cat up to the Elite/Pro Open Class because the one year I raced expert I landed on the podium or in the top 5 in every race I did. I could have stayed to win the series, but racing against my Pro friends is much more fun. Plus I'm used to mid-pack finishes after two seasons of 'cross...

People who sandbag are lame and should be pubicly ridiculed at all possible moments.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    So, it sounds like riding a lot is a good training plan....or at least better than sitting on the couch all winter and trying to see how many nutter butters I could put in my mouth at one time....
    I'll be Cat 2 since they don't have the cat 3 SS anymore.....I'll be the guy pushing when all the other SSers are pedaling uphill.....pretty sure I'm not sandbagging
    Should be a really fun day though...

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by rzims
    I'll be Cat 2 since they don't have the cat 3 SS anymore.....I'll be the guy pushing when all the other SSers are pedaling uphill.....pretty sure I'm not sandbagging
    Should be a really fun day though...
    I do the majority of my training rides on a roughly 47 pound bike with a 32x20 singlespeed setup. If it won’t make you stronger, it will drive you freakin’ nuts; I think I might be a little bit of both. But I am not crazy enough (yet) to race in the singlespeed category. You, sir, are truly nuts, and that is great!

PRETENDURO
    Wow, that was a fun race (except for all the lame flat smooth sections). I started the race 1 minute or so late, and had to catch up to the rest of the pack. I only managed 17th place, but then was happy to discover that there were 62 entries (Cat 2 40-42). http://www.seaotterclassic.com/racer...2011/XC125.pdf

I guess that’s an OK finish for my second time ever racing. I am happy with having placed 17th after having started 1 minute behind the actual start.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I love reading all the cry baby comments about sandbagging. Here is a tip. Get faster and shut up. Those that cry are those usually that just missed the podium. Too bad someone was faster. Just for fun I googled each of the top guys in 4 classes close to me. Not one did a Cat 1 race and not one appeared in any cat 2 races last year. Guess what? These are guys that train hard and spend the year at Cat2. Some might not have the wins to upgrade or some might be racing first time mountain and are finishing out a season.

A sandbagger is NOT someone that is faster then you which most you crying here apparently think. Let's see where these winners race next year. Cat2? Then yes, sandbagger. Cat1? Then all part of the cycle of racing.

Looking at the top guys. Does anyone know one that cat'ed down from races? Does anyone know someone that has been winning year in and year out and not cat'ed up? Or are you all just guessing to bad mouth so it makes your place on the results feel better? Serious question.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Winning a cat 2 or cat 3 race is nice once or twice, when you finally achieve that goal after years of working your way up the standings and training hard for it. After that it's better to upgrade and race against some real competition. The USAC license is only $50, and with it you support bike racing in the USA, get some additional race accident insurance and they keep track of your performance in races. I'd say pay the $50 and upgade when your friends call you a sandbagger.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The wife raced Cat 1 at Sea Otter this year. Her first USAC race, ever. They were not going to give her a Cat 1 license, so she petitioned, submitted her resume and was granted Cat 1 status. It's not that she would have minded racing Cat 2, but we travelled from a long way away and there were 3 big reasons for her to Cat up.

1. Her race was on Friday and we could miss the big crowds and travel would be better.
    2. She didn't have to deal with the riff-raff in Cat 2 or 3 XC.
    3. It's where she belonged, period.

If you belong in Cat 1, suck it up, petition, pay the extra fee or don't race it.

She did not win, yet finished mid pack Cat 1.

mtbr member
    Just curious...if you wanna miss the crowds and the "riff-raff" on your first race why even come and race at Sea Otter?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just curious...if you wanna miss the crowds and the "riff-raff" on your first race why even come and race at Sea Otter?
    Regardless, if Cat 1 was raced on Sunday afternoon she would have easily dealt with the crowds. It was a nice race for her. It was awesome weather and she did awesome in her 1st non-local race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tupelo
    The wife raced Cat 1 at Sea Otter this year. Her first USAC race, ever. They were not going to give her a Cat 1 license, so she petitioned, submitted her resume and was granted Cat 1 status. It's not that she would have minded racing Cat 2, but we travelled from a long way away and there were 3 big reasons for her to Cat up.

1. Her race was on Friday and we could miss the big crowds and travel would be better.
    2. She didn't have to deal with the riff-raff in Cat 2 or 3 XC.
    3. It's where she belonged, period.

If you belong in Cat 1, suck it up, petition, pay the extra fee or don't race it.

She did not win, yet finished mid pack Cat 1.
    thumbs up.

Q

mtbr member

Cat 3 Times

I raced two years ago at SOC and scored an eighth place finish in Cat 3, it was my first race. It was a 1:56. Did they change the course over the past two years to have someone score a 1:16???? Or did the guys in Cat 3 just all of sudden start posting recording times while i've been out of racing for awhile? Interested to see if the course has gotten easier for Cat 3 guys and girls.

tandemtoughie
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by quicklaps
    yah really.... Cat 2 is a 20 mile loop and Cat 1 is 40... ouch. 40 miles. No wonder the Cat 2 races are filled with sandbaggers, they dont want to do a 40 mile race!.... I race Expert in a local series and some other stuff and the races are typically 25-28 miles or so...

Q
    What if you are better at distance? Personally I like a longer race, the attrition gives a rider who trains and is persistent a valid chance of being on the podium. These one day wonders are not real racers. I think all categories should race the same course (cept the pros) and then have the smaller age groups..more medals. To be honest 14 miles is like a sprint! 25 plus now you are talking....mtbxc. What do y'all think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanc104
    I raced two years ago at SOC and scored an eighth place finish in Cat 3, it was my first race. It was a 1:56. Did they change the course over the past two years to have someone score a 1:16???? Or did the guys in Cat 3 just all of sudden start posting recording times while i've been out of racing for awhile? Interested to see if the course has gotten easier for Cat 3 guys and girls.
    yes changed. shorter.

Q

aka dan51
    I came in 29th of 41 in my category. Pretty sure there were 28 sandbaggers in the age group, including that grrrah guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast