Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 148
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by WebInt
    I love reading all the cry baby comments about sandbagging. Here is a tip. Get faster and shut up. Those that cry are those usually that just missed the podium. Too bad someone was faster. Just for fun I googled each of the top guys in 4 classes close to me. Not one did a Cat 1 race and not one appeared in any cat 2 races last year. Guess what? These are guys that train hard and spend the year at Cat2. Some might not have the wins to upgrade or some might be racing first time mountain and are finishing out a season.

    A sandbagger is NOT someone that is faster then you which most you crying here apparently think. Let's see where these winners race next year. Cat2? Then yes, sandbagger. Cat1? Then all part of the cycle of racing.

    Looking at the top guys. Does anyone know one that cat'ed down from races? Does anyone know someone that has been winning year in and year out and not cat'ed up? Or are you all just guessing to bad mouth so it makes your place on the results feel better? Serious question.
    I can agree, yet I can disagree. If you go into a race knowing you are racing with people who are not at your level and using a license to hide behind saying ohh well I don't have a license, you are a sandbagger. On the other hand if you are just putting your time in to get your upgrade then no your not a sandbagger. I have got comments this year that I am sandbagging, but honestly this being my first year racing I think Cat2 is exactly where I need to be. It helps me get familiar with the courses, it helps me to get comfortable with racing strategy, and it plain out just helps fitness.
    I lost a podium spot by 3 sec. at Sea Otter this year which would have been really cool instead I got 4th. The three who beat me all race Pro/Cat1 road races. How do I know this, because they told me after while talking. Is that sandbagging? Here is my take... If they are honestly trying to make a transition to mountain biking then hey go for it. I am sure if they petitioned they would be granted a Cat1 mountain license, but hey I understand wanting to work your way up. The problem I have is that I will bet not one of them does another mountain bike race this year. They were at the Sea Otter for their road event and just decided to do the XC race. Not one of them used there UCI License number to keep track of points so I know they could care less about that.
    My bottom line however, am I mad I lost.. yeah,do I think it's fair... no not really, am I mad at them... no not at all. I race because I want to get faster and push myself so whether I race faster people now or in a year from now it's good to see where you sit.

    Chris

  2. #52
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,678
    /\ /\ /\ /\
    Pot meet Kettle. 3 seconds off from CAT 1 road racers? You're a sandbagger, regardless how long you've been racing. Perhaps it was those guys' first XC race, so they're less of sandbaggers than you.
    May the air be filled with tires!

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    /\ /\ /\ /\
    Pot meet Kettle. 3 seconds off from CAT 1 road racers? You're a sandbagger, regardless how long you've been racing. Perhaps it was those guys' first XC race, so they're less of sandbaggers than you.
    If you would have read and understood what I said, you would see that I said if they were trying to make a move over to racing mountain bikes I completely understand having to put your races in to qualify for your Cat1 upgrade, but none of them used their license numbers to keep track so to me that says they could care less and did it because they were there. As for me being a sandbagger to each his own I guess. I have only been riding for 2 years now and this is my first year racing, I could have started in Cat3 and said hey well I am a newb to racing which would have been sandbagging for sure. Instead I put myself in Cat2 which allows me to get races under my belt and help get me Cat1 eligible. Now if I am still racing Cat2 next year please feel free to call me a sandbagger. Ill even ride around with tow lines off my seat to help people on climbs.

    Chris

  4. #54
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,822
    If the cat 2 racer has been dominating the previous season at their local races then they should cat up. simple. same applies for cat 3 needing to go cat 2.

    considering that most racers are from the west and have already began their season bec. the weather is great out here, they should know.

    This is what I have done.

    I earned a top 5 or better in nearly every age group at s.o.c and have been doing fairly well in my so cal series. I will cat up next year.

    I want to measure my abilities/fitness with better riders. Keep it simple.

    Oh...and I was told that the guy who won my field is a local fast cat 3 roadie with enough points to go cat 2 road. Not sure if the is accurate or not...just what I was told.. If this is true, then he had the fitness of cat 1, but chose to race cat 2.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    409
    I raced back in the mid 90's for 3 years. One season of Beginner then the rest in Sport. I came in top 10-15 in Sport back in the day.

    Put down bikes for 11 years and started to ride a lot. I waited almost a year to start racing to begin the season fresh. Before the season I told myself I would race one season as a cat 3 and no matter what move to cat 2 after the 8 race season. I came in 2nd in the first race then 5 straight firsts and a 14th in the last race because of a flat ( I was leading when I flatted). I didn't win the series because I didn't understand how the trail work for a first place points thing worked even though I had a perfect record 5 out of the 8 races counted. Was I sandbagging, maybe but I was within the stated rules.

    One day after the last race I upgraded myself to Cat2.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    62
    You know if you are a sandbagger.............I know, those prizes are so valuable

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    63
    I haven't read all of the posts in this thread. So, someone might have already commented about what I'm going to say. I started racing DH years ago in Port Angeles, WA. They have different DH courses for the Pro/CAT1 riders which are harder, steeper, with jumps/drops. The CAT2/3 racers course was significantly easier from a DH perspective. I tried really hard to podium in CAT2 so I could race in the 'much more fun and challenging' Pro/CAT1 race course. I haven't made the podium in CAT1 yet, but I enjoy the course much more with my USAC license DH CAT1 designation. Not sure if SOC has different courses for the CATEGORIES? If they did...It might encourage people to move up in CAT if they're a better rider.

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    43
    Was the cat 2 course longer than the cat 3?
    There are a lot of sand baggers at Sea Otter -

  9. #59
    injured reserve list
    Reputation: Scrub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    577
    There is only one DH course at Sea Otter, everyone races it and its a Cat 2/3 course, every jump is pretty much rollable and only a handful of rocks if any. As for the XC courses I have no idea.
    Last edited by Scrub; 04-15-2012 at 01:01 PM.
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by surfstar1 View Post
    I was just checking results from last year and this guy won Cat 3, 40 - 44 and had a better time than the winner of the Cat 2, 40 - 44.

    We should call out all of these sandbaggers.
    Sorry, I did not realize you were talking about the DH - it is one course.
    The XC is different. The first time I did beginner it was the same as sport, the next year they changed it and it ticked me off!
    Last year the cat 32 was 16 miles and about 2450 climbing. I did it and can send my GPS.
    This year and last year the sport is 20 miles and about 3550 elevation - so the cat 2 is four miles longer and 1000 more feet of climbing for XC.

    Good luck everybody!

  11. #61
    Dude, got any schwag?
    Reputation: TheSchwagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    829

    Aaaaahhhh!!!

    I signed up for Cat 2 XC to motivate myself over the winter. Didn't really work. I'm in better shape than last year, but NOT READY. Looks like 97th place again. Still stoked to be going though.
    Billy

    Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

  12. #62
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Heh... I'm reverse sandbagging. What is that, posing?

    I do the CAT2 Singlespeed race because 1) it's on Sunday. 2) the race is longer.

    I fully expect to end up in the bottom 20%, but that's okay.

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    230
    For guys like me this is my first time ever racing, so when I come last in CAT 2 dont make fun of me and say i was reverse sand bagging ok guys

    SIDE note, For guys that are racing the very first time, how do they know where they stack up, now for guys who are racing all the time this is a different story.

    PS dont heckle the slow guy in CAT 2 DH this year.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Buzkil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Heh... I'm reverse sandbagging. What is that, posing?

    I do the CAT2 Singlespeed race because 1) it's on Sunday. 2) the race is longer.

    I fully expect to end up in the bottom 20%, but that's okay.
    i'll be here with you next year, for my first race ever I wanted to try it with gears.
    To love me is to rep me, world domination is eminent/imminent/immanent.

  15. #65
    (Ali)
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Heh... I'm reverse sandbagging. What is that, posing?

    I do the CAT2 Singlespeed race because 1) it's on Sunday. 2) the race is longer.

    I fully expect to end up in the bottom 20%, but that's okay.
    Same here. But more correctly, you and I were right around at the bottom 30% mark. Not bad!

    This will be my fourth (or fifth?) Sea Otter. I've always raced Cat 2 singlespeed because I am clearly not a beginner and I am not even close to the top of Cat 2. My goal is to finish better every year and I've been succeeding on that.

    Ali

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1
    It would be nice if Sea Otter would take a more proactive stance on this. I just finished fourth this year and saw that the guy who finished 2nd finished 3rd last year in the same Cat 3 category. If you podium you should move up.

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    43
    well, first, congrats on taking 4th - and second, I agree! The rider who took first last year in my category is racing it again this year? First! - so if she finishes first tomorrow, she has two first place for the exact same course and Cat 2? - Certainly if you take 1st at podium, you should move up! I am not having any expectations with so many sand baggers - Try and just ride fast and have FUN!
    thanks for posting - and I am with you 100%%!!

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RockStarRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2
    You cannot compare the CAT3 times with the CAT2 times. Different course for CAT2 (Longer and more elevation/climbing) Of course the CAT3 times would look faster with a shorter/easier course.

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I came in 29th of 41 in my category. Pretty sure there were 28 sandbaggers in the age group, including that grrrah guy.
    My first ever race was SOC and I went ahead and entered Cat 3 Clydedale XC and I thought I did pretty well, right off the line there was a group of 7 sandbaggers that all lined up single file and were gone into the fog and I never saw them again! I even passed all of the 60+ men and most of the 55-59 men. Climbing out skyline I got passed by a really cool dude name John on a single speed 29er (also in my Clydesdale class) and that is where we finished! I was stoked to get 9th of 44 riders...considering 5 of my class were mainly concerned with what toppings would be on the pizza at the feed station and what desert was to be served, I knew I would place top 39 for sure! So 9th was awesome!

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Heh... I'm reverse sandbagging. What is that, posing?

    I do the CAT2 Singlespeed race because 1) it's on Sunday. 2) the race is longer.

    I fully expect to end up in the bottom 20%, but that's okay.
    The aforementioned John guy that passed me on skyline has my total respect, but I did feel like a slowpoke being passed by a single speed!

    -------------

    Bottom line with this entire thread is, everyone has a sand bagger or six in their class at SOC or any other race! I have friends in Cat 2 women, Cat 1 and Pro Men and they all know it's what happens. Instead of *****ing and complaining, you train harder and get faster and try to beat those sand baggers and be the better rider!

  20. #70
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20
    damn sandwiches

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStarRider View Post
    You cannot compare the CAT3 times with the CAT2 times. Different course for CAT2 (Longer and more elevation/climbing) Of course the CAT3 times would look faster with a shorter/easier course.
    According to my GPS, the section that the cat 3 riders didn't have to ride was about 5.0 miles and 650ft of gain. It took me 22 minutes to complete on my first lap of 2.

  22. #72
    arrogant sandbagger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    88
    I went to Sea Otter for the road races and won my crit. I decided very late to sign up for a cyclocross race. It was to be my first cyclocross race ever. I had never practiced dismounts at speed. I had never shouldered a bike prior to this race. And it was to be my second race of the day on Saturday. I picked a beginner cat with few others riders in it. 30 minute race. I had no idea what to expect.

    Does this sound like sandbagging?

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12
    Biggest problem with Cat 2 sandbaggers is that it's not their fault. Cat 2 is the highest class you can race if you don't have a yearly license. USAC should make non licensed riders race an open class versus selling them a 1 day license and limiting them to Cat2 or lower. Just my take.

    As for taking a podium then racing the same class the following year. I agree as well. You podium, you move up.

  24. #74
    Don't be a sheep
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,374
    Sandbagging and winning in cat 2/3 is like people who drive huge lifted trucks, they think they are cool but don't realize everyone just thinks they are a tool.
    "Do not touch the trim"

  25. #75
    arrogant sandbagger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    Sandbagging and winning in cat 2/3 is like people who drive huge lifted trucks, they think they are cool but don't realize everyone just thinks they are a tool.
    I disagree. Sometimes it's all about appearance.

    As I said earlier in this thread, I won my crit (I'm cat 3 now). A friend tagged me in the podium picture. People asked in the comments, "Wow, are you going professional?" or "I had no idea you were a champion!"

    Granted, these are facebook friends who don't ride bikes. But they think I won the entire thing. I responded with, "Haha, no, I'm nowhere near the level of the pros." Friends probably took this as false modesty.

    Then there's the swag. Along with two yellow sea otter jerseys, I left with about $500 worth of merchandise.


    Now if everyone sandbags, the competition is just that much more intense.


    All said, it's become watered down. There were about 600 awards ceremonies. That's 600 yellow jerseys.

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blister Butt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    307

    Sandbaggers can rationalize anything

    I have a buddy who had done this one particular race two or three years previously. This year he entered it in the Beginner category because some "medical" issue had kept him off the bike for six months and he "had gained a lot of weight" and was "more out of shape than than he had ever been before."

    What a tool.

    He got second place. The other sandbagger had beaten him by 30 seconds and the two of them beat the rest of the field by a couple of minutes.

    When I called him a tool after the race and ridiculed him in front of other people, he got really pissed. He told me I didn't understand. (Because the only race I've ever done in my life, I entered in Cat 3 and ended up finishing mid-pack, apparently).

    I told him that what I did understand is that he and his other Tool friend had cheated three true beginners from having a real competition and feeling good about getting on the podium in their first race.

    He said it would "motivate them to try harder next year," and therefore he had done a good thing.

    What a tool.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Killroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    908
    Yeah, but a lot of Pro's in non USA Cycling race CAT 2.

    One year I raced Sea Otter and I Googled 1st, 2nd and 3rd and they were all pros outside of USA Cycling.

  28. #78
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    Yeah, but a lot of Pro's in non USA Cycling race CAT 2.

    One year I raced Sea Otter and I Googled 1st, 2nd and 3rd and they were all pros outside of USA Cycling.
    Yep, I did the same thing back in both 2011 and 2012 and was shocked. Why do these “pros” act like douchebags??? I don’t understand the logic.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blister Butt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Yep, I did the same thing back in both 2011 and 2012 and was shocked. Why do these “pros” act like douchebags??? I don’t understand the logic.
    You need to understand that the vast majority of pro bike racers are narcissists bordering on being true sociopaths. In other words, they have 10,000-pound glass egos, low self-esteem that drives competitive behavior, and a low-degree of empathy for other human beings (if they have any empathy at all). To them, winning a race—even if it means obliterating the local yokels by racing in lower categories due to some self-justified reasoning—becomes all important. In other words, there is no logic.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

  30. #80
    arrogant sandbagger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    You need to understand that the vast majority of pro bike racers are narcissists bordering on being true sociopaths. In other words, they have 10,000-pound glass egos, low self-esteem that drives competitive behavior, and a low-degree of empathy for other human beings (if they have any empathy at all). To them, winning a race—even if it means obliterating the local yokels by racing in lower categories due to some self-justified reasoning—becomes all important. In other words, there is no logic.
    Jealous?

  31. #81
    arrogant sandbagger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    Yeah, but a lot of Pro's in non USA Cycling race CAT 2.

    One year I raced Sea Otter and I Googled 1st, 2nd and 3rd and they were all pros outside of USA Cycling.
    I spoke with a few guys who blamed the lack of reciprocity between OBRA and USAC. Does this make sense or is MTB self-selecting?

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blister Butt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenu View Post
    Jealous?
    Actually, not at all.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

  33. #83
    arrogant sandbagger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    88
    Well, given your in-depth analysis into the psyche of people you've never met and the fact that as a non-racer you're unaffected by sandbaggers, how do you explain your angry rants?

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blister Butt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenu View Post
    Well, given your in-depth analysis into the psyche of people you've never met and the fact that as a non-racer you're unaffected by sandbaggers, how do you explain your angry rants?
    I do know many of them and I don't think my post was angry, or at least it wasn't supposed to be.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

  35. #85
    arrogant sandbagger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    I do know many of them and I don't think my post was angry, or at least it wasn't supposed to be.
    OK, let's pretend that you do know many of "the vast majority of pro racers" well enough to apply your insults and over the top dime store psychology, and let's substitute passionate for angry.

    Given that you don't even race, why are you so worked by sandbagging?

  36. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blister Butt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenu View Post
    Given that you don't even race, why are you so worked by sandbagging?
    I do race sometimes. Sometimes I even make the podium. I dislike sandbagging because it's unethical and cheats beginners or the joe-citizen category out of a positive racing experience.

    I guess I'm inclined to ask you why you like sandbagging?

    No need for you to answer, it's rhetorical.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

  37. #87
    arrogant sandbagger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    88
    Oh you race? Earlier in the thread you said that you had only raced once and finished mid pack. It still doesn't really explain your rant. Since you claim to know so many pros personally, can you name three you've met personally who fit your description?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    narcissists bordering on being true sociopaths. In other words, they have 10,000-pound glass egos, low self-esteem that drives competitive behavior, and a low-degree of empathy for other human beings (if they have any empathy at all).
    (Lance Armstrong doesn't count.)

    Thanks for your passive-aggressive rhetorical question. However, my question is not rhetorical. I'd like for you to back up what you said.

  38. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blister Butt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenu View Post
    Oh you race? Earlier in the thread you said that you had only raced once and finished mid pack. It still doesn't really explain your rant. Since you claim to know so many pros personally, can you name three you've met personally who fit your description? (Lance Armstrong doesn't count.)

    Thanks for your passive-aggressive rhetorical question. However, my question is not rhetorical. I'd like for you to back up what you said.
    Now who seems angry?

    Oh, and I guess if you find my question passive aggressive, I'd encourage you to answer it. I'd be interested to understand why you support sandbagging.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

  39. #89
    arrogant sandbagger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    Now who seems angry?
    It's still you.
    Oh, and I guess if you find my question passive aggressive, I'd encourage you to answer it. I'd be interested to understand why you support sandbagging.
    There are a few ways for me to respond to this. First, it's unjustified to say that I support sandbagging or that I like it. I can point out that you're being ridiculous with your dime store psychology without taking an opposite position.

    Next, your angry rants (yes, the things you said are angry) about people you don't know, people racing bicycles, say a lot more about you than they do about the guys racing bicycles. Reread what you said in this thread. Or read it to someone who doesn't ride bikes and ask them what they think. But do it without telling them that you wrote the words. I bet you would feel embarrassed if you heard an honest response.

    Finally, I'll accept your non-answers and the fact that you have repeatedly tried to make this about me as your defeat. You painted yourself in the corner and now you're lashing out. OK. I guess you're angry and frustrated because you're unable to have a positive race experience with all the narcissist sandbaggers out there; you feel cheated and robbed. I suggest you relax and race for fun, even if you're slow and mid-pack. Or maybe you should stay away from racing if these guys get under your skin so easily.

    On that note, I'll go ahead and unsubscribe from this thread.

  40. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blister Butt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenu View Post
    It's still you.
    There are a few ways for me to respond to this. First, it's unjustified to say that I support sandbagging or that I like it. I can point out that you're being ridiculous with your dime store psychology without taking an opposite position.

    Next, your angry rants (yes, the things you said are angry) about people you don't know, people racing bicycles, say a lot more about you than they do about the guys racing bicycles. Reread what you said in this thread. Or read it to someone who doesn't ride bikes and ask them what they think. But do it without telling them that you wrote the words. I bet you would feel embarrassed if you heard an honest response.

    Finally, I'll accept your non-answers and the fact that you have repeatedly tried to make this about me as your defeat. You painted yourself in the corner and now you're lashing out. OK. I guess you're angry and frustrated because you're unable to have a positive race experience with all the narcissist sandbaggers out there; you feel cheated and robbed. I suggest you relax and race for fun, even if you're slow and mid-pack. Or maybe you should stay away from racing if these guys get under your skin so easily.

    On that note, I'll go ahead and unsubscribe from this thread.
    It started with narcissistic personalities...and now it ends with it. Poetic justice. Thank you.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

  41. #91
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    You need to understand that the vast majority of pro bike racers are narcissists bordering on being true sociopaths. In other words, they have 10,000-pound glass egos, low self-esteem that drives competitive behavior, and a low-degree of empathy for other human beings (if they have any empathy at all). To them, winning a race—even if it means obliterating the local yokels by racing in lower categories due to some self-justified reasoning—becomes all important. In other words, there is no logic.
    Got generalization?

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blister Butt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Got generalization?
    Talk to a sports psychologist. A real one, preferably one who deals with professional cyclists, and then come back here and report on your findings. Thank you.

  43. #93
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    Talk to a sports psychologist. A real one, preferably one who deals with professional cyclists, and then come back here and report on your findings. Thank you.
    I neg repped you for your insulting generalization of elite level cyclists. It seemed personal.. like someone mentioned, you just come off as jealous.

    Do tell.. What is your background that has granted you access to so many elite leveled cyclists' personalities?

    In case you forgot, these are your words below:

    "You need to understand that the vast majority of pro bike racers are narcissists bordering on being true sociopaths. In other words, they have 10,000-pound glass egos, low self-esteem that drives competitive behavior, and a low-degree of empathy for other human beings (if they have any empathy at all). To them, winning a race—even if it means obliterating the local yokels by racing in lower categories due to some self-justified reasoning—becomes all important. In other words, there is no logic."

  44. #94
    arrogant sandbagger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    Sometimes I even make the podium.
    I doubt it.

    lol

  45. #95
    arrogant sandbagger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    88
    An angry person gave me negative rep for what I said in this thread. Maybe he blames his inability to have a "positive race experience" on me. I don't know. But I must have hurt his feelings. His comment:

    "Aren't you brave with 58 total posts? I bet all your podiums are sandbags"

    I'm not sure what post count has to do with bravery.

    In response to the second part, I did podium four times at Sea Otter. Three of them were on the road, where it is impossible to sandbag due to USAC's mandatory upgrade policies. So no, my top finishes have not come from sandbagging. Sorry. My podiums come from stomping on the pedals.

    My living room last Sunday


  46. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    78
    This is an interesting thread to me. Sea Otter was my third race ever on any kind of bike, my first two were CCCX races earlier this year to get ready for last weekend. My primary sport is actually sailing (specifically Laser sailing) and I used to ride a bike to stay fit for that (though now I'm getting into the XC racing, its definitely both challenging and fun).

    Anyway, the point is that in Laser regattas where the fleets get split, the mantra is "I'd rather be last in the gold fleet than first in the silver fleet", the idea being that its more fun to sail against the best sailors than in the forgotten fleet. So I don't really follow the idea of "sandbagging" down as a better chance to get on the podium - I'd think being in the Cat I group would get more respect, even if not on the podium, than being in Cat II.

    On the other hand... in looking over the results, in my group (Cat II 55-59) there were 36 riders while in the same Cat I group there were 24 and in Cat II there were 42. I guess if you wanted to race against the biggest field you would want to be in Cat III, if you wanted a big field and more challenge you'd go Cat II (for over 50 the Cat I and Cat II course was the same).

    My goals for this year were simple: a) be challenged (hence enter Cat II), b) finish, c) don't crash (see (b)), d) don't be last and e) finish under 2 hours. All were achieved. In looking at the Cat I results, I see that I could have done that there too, so my new goal for this year is to get into Cat I for next year's Sea Otter!

  47. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    153
    Sea otter was my first race in 15 years. I decided to register on Saturday and it was a great test of my fitness or lack there of. I raced Cat 3 and was happy to finish mid pack. Call me naive, but I look at the winning times as bench mark for training. I have year to see if I can get into that kind of shape given the amount of time I have to give

    This is supposed to be fun.. If I start to get worried about whether someone is sandbagging my race then I need to find a new sport.. I like winning just as much as the next guy and sure there should be a better system in place to ensure that there aren't any "European Pros" in a cat 2 race, but I don't lose sleep over it.

    Not to take away from Xenu's achievements or anyone else who made the podium, Congratulations by the way.. But I can buy my own camel bak and cliff bars.

  48. #98
    Vincit qui patitur
    Reputation: owtdorz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    702
    I went to SOC and raced XC. I did see sandbaggers and it does disappoint me that people do that. I raced to challenge myself. I started riding a year ago and did it to lose weight and have fun. I lost weight, have fun and got my a$$ haned to me in Cat3. 6 miles wasn't a problem it was the 2800-2900 ft of climbing and doing the coastal road ride the day before.
    But I did have a lot of fun.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2013 Giant Defy

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Whyzee429's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    82

    Sea Otter Sandbaggers

    First year at SOC and raced CAT3 30-34 group. I placed 23rd of 56. I did damn near all of my passing on the downhills which can probably be attributed to my Mx background. My plan is to do CAT3 again next year and I'll hopefully be fit enough to dice it up with the "sandbaggers". If I can get inside top ten then ill move to C2. Sandbaggers are in most sports...who cares. If someone wins a 16 mile XC event by 2 minutes, or even 5 minutes I'm fine with that, as that's a goalqqp....it's the people that blow out the competition that should be moved up. I'll tell you someone though, if be more stoked to finish top 20 in C2 than to finish top 5 in C3!

  50. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dseybert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    121

    Re: Sea Otter Sandbaggers

    I also raced cat 3 XC 30-34. It was my first time ever racing. I did some demo rides on Friday and a ride in SC on Saturday. I had never raced before and didn't know how I would feel after 2 days of riding, so I didn't think cat 2 was appropriate. After finishing 3rd I now know I should have been in cat 2 and will be next time.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •