Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    enter and win

Sea Otter "This Is How My Race Went" thread..??

let's hear it! Me: 1st time racing XC in upper age group cat 2 50+ women. It hurt. A lot. But I powered thru those Godforsaken climbs and finished with a respectable I guess time of 2:18:18, placing me 6th outta 12 girls. I really REALLY would've liked to have ridden more technical singletrack. But hey, it's Sea Otter. Now tell us YOUR story!!!

mtbr member
    Enjoyed my first weekend at home in a very long time. Almost forgot we had a house.

Mt Diablo wasn't bad either.

Congrats on the XC result. No DH?

mtbr member
    I was pleased with my performance. I was in the super small 38-39 cat 2 mens group. I am not sure how many riders there were but I finished in 11th place with a time of 1:42. I passed many people and didn't get passed very much at all. I am still trying to find my "race pace" am trying not to worry about blowing up and bonking. The one thing that threw me was at mile 2 or so my water bottle flew out and I hadn't even taken a sip yet. I had no other water. That stunk because I started to worry about my performance. I had two cups at the aid station and just ate the shot blocks. Lots of friendly people out there and I had a blast. Saw a lot of familiar faces. Good times for sure except for bruised and bloodied hip from the DH. At least I know XC is it for me. Now does anybody have a lightweight bike to sell because I could use one.

Paul
    They never made the "Slowster"

NONDURO
    Today was my second race ever (1st place finish OVERALL in cat 3 in Napa last weekend). I upgraded to cat 2 (40-42 menís) for the Sea Otter cross country race, but I got to the starting line about a minute late after my group had already started out. Regardless, I managed to squeak by a good portion of the pack to grab the 17th place spot out of a class of 62 riders: http://www.seaotterclassic.com/racer...2011/XC125.pdf

Iím not as fond of the Sea Otter course as I am with the Napa Dirt Classic course, since there are too many long and flat sections (should I have brought a road bike???). If they could axe the flat stuff, it would make for a more challenging and technical race, in my opinion.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall
    I was pleased with my performance. I was in the super small 38-39 cat 2 mens group. I am not sure how many riders there were but I finished in 11th place with a time of 1:42. I passed many people and didn't get passed very much at all. I am still trying to find my "race pace" am trying not to worry about blowing up and bonking. The one thing that threw me was at mile 2 or so my water bottle flew out and I hadn't even taken a sip yet. I had no other water. That stunk because I started to worry about my performance. I had two cups at the aid station and just ate the shot blocks. Lots of friendly people out there and I had a blast. Saw a lot of familiar faces. Good times for sure except for bruised and bloodied hip from the DH. At least I know XC is it for me. Now does anybody have a lightweight bike to sell because I could use one.

Paul
    Dude, you placed 10th out of 29!!!

I hear you on the water, my bottle went bye-bye on about mile 5. At about mile 16 or so the head guy (sorry donít remember his name) from Team Madcat let me have some of his water, muchas gracias!!! Other than that small water break, my diet consisted of dirt.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I finished 7th of 30 in the Cat 3 XC 25-29 group. First time at Sea Otter, first season racing.

I lost my 2nd bottle (the one that had all my water left... grr...) with like 6 or 7 miles left in the race so that sucked (at least that's when I noticed. No idea when it actually fell off). Couldn't eat my goo and I was thirsty as hell.

I didn't get to pre-ride so I didn't know what to expect. Turns out the course was easier than I had imagined. I should have ridden harder during the race... I was saving energy for something that never came.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It was a bit boring but I really didn't pay attention to the coarse much I was to busy putting the hammer down playing catch up from the start. I put myself 3 riders back on the start to have good position and that went horribly wrong. All 3 peeled off on the first corner and the rest of the group thought it necesary to leave me out front. I pulled the train around the track not really remembering where the dirt started and on the last corner before the dirt started like 13-16 people all shot past me so I had no idea where I was in the field. Spent a majority of the race fighting back to catch the group that just disapeared out front after that. Kept getting stuck behind groups of Jr. Riders who all seemed to like riding in a conga line making passing a pain in the arse. Ended up taking 4th Cat 2 with a 1:32 time.

Come to find out after the race the top 3 where supposable Pro/Cat 1 Roadies. After looking at the registered riders on the Sea Otter website both 2nd place and 3rd place riders names didn't show up on the list. To then find out 2nd place was actually registered in the Cat1 race and 3rd place registered in the Pro/Cat1 stage race and registered after the Cat1 race to get into the Cat 2 race. Both I might add have a valid license. I've heard of experts not being able to ride SOC because of not having an annual license but this just looks like complete negligence on the Sea Otters part.

Chris

mtbr member
    Nice job WW. Bummer, but thats SOC.

My race... well, I tried a different approach this year, not to take it too seriously, which meant Saturday consisted of lots of BBQ, lotsa beer, and a big ice cream sundae right before bed. Of course, once the race starts, its hammer time. Started to feel the beer and ice cream going up the first wall. Was able to settle in and ride a decent pace. I was able to catch 2 guys in my group on the last fire road climb, but I didn't have enough to pass them and finished seconds behind. Ended up 7th / 41, Cat 2, 35-37 at about 1:42. 5th would have been nice, but the beers and ice cream were worth it.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    My fourth race ever: always Sea Otter Cat 2 SS. (I did not race last year.)

I am very happy that I advanced to bottom 30% of the pack, from my usual bottom 20%. Yay! Next year's goal: bottom 40%...

Ali

P.S. I did not lose my bottles because I have metal cages, which as you all knoware bendable to adjust the tighness of their grip. And I had two bottles, each half full. Eggs in different baskets kind of thing...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Didn't race this year, life was just a bit too busy and I *hated* last years course. Sounds like there wasn't as much single track this year?

I did have fun on some less crowded local trails

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean
    Didn't race this year, life was just a bit too busy and I *hated* last years course. Sounds like there wasn't as much single track this year?

I did have fun on some less crowded local trails
    Plenty of singletrack, just too much of that lame-o flat/straight (paved and gravel) service road action tossed in.

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Today was my second race ever (1st place finish OVERALL in cat 3 in Napa last weekend). I upgraded to cat 2 (40-42 menís) for the Sea Otter cross country race, but I got to the starting line about a minute late after my group had already started out. Regardless, I managed to squeak by a good portion of the pack to grab the 17th place spot out of a class of 62 riders: http://www.seaotterclassic.com/racer...2011/XC125.pdf

Iím not as fond of the Sea Otter course as I am with the Napa Dirt Classic course, since there are too many long and flat sections (should I have brought a road bike???). If they could axe the flat stuff, it would make for a more challenging and technical race, in my opinion.
    Didn't know we were in the same group: good job on your placement, I ended up with 1:51 and change good only for 32. Had a good race overall, but lost some serious time, as many others, on the singletrack climbs, getting stuck in conga lines.
    IMHO Camelback works better than bottles at SOC. There were some fun DH and fast flowy sections that made me forget the boredom of fireroads and pavement.
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

Uncle
    (excuse / disclaimer):
    Two weeks ago, I knocked out 8 of my team's 14 laps at Boggs. Since then, I rode a total of 14 miles up into the Oakland hills. That, and lots of lumpia, coffee and down time in the PacNW on a road/train trip. Stopped by I5 Colonnade, but alas, no bike in tow.

Took it easy enough today to ensure I'd finish without disabling cramps, in Cat 2 40-42. Made sure I was the back of the herd at the start line (why slow folks down, right?), and settled into a good start. Rode the first 2 miles or so swapping place with a late-to-his-SS-start Mark Davidson. Great guy, that Mark.

Walked up three hills, and down the ugliest beach of the day, and still managed to land in either 46 or 47th place in my group, @ ~2:04 (adjusted results should show up by Friday, said the officials.) I expected to spend about 2:20 on the course since I hadn't ridden much in the last two weeks, so while I'm dissatisfied with my current condition, I'm fine with the results: ~bottom 2/3 like last year.

OT: We had only 1/2 the campsites full in our lot, and while there were lots of folks in the festival, it certainly didn't feel too full like in years past. Was it just me, or was this a bit of a down year for the event overall? I still had a blast, and found the event a bit more enjoyable this time 'round because you could get around the whole place without having to stop constantly.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    First event ever. I been riding 2.5 years. I did Gran Fondo which was 20.2mi. I was 18th and did it in 210:30. I didn't even know for sure I was going. I rode under somebody elses name/number who didnt show up. Thats the reason the 64 year old have impressive numbers. Anyways, I was few seconds late and I mostley ride solo in sonoma/napa/lake counties so all these people I thought was going to be kinda lame but it was hella fun. All the wrecks I had to dodge in the beginning and when I realized I wasnt the slowest in the bunch I started passing people. Then I started getting stronger and riding faster and passing people more people and wow! I misjudged this event or events in general. I will be attending more and never missing this. I did way better than I thought because it takes me well over 3 hrs to do 20 miles at locally(annadale). I was blown away!!

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncstad
    I did Gran Fondo which was 20.2mi. I was 18th ...
    When did the fondle become a race?
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

Natural body armor
    People, stop littering the planet with your plastic bottles!!

Go back, pick'em up!!
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

Lusus Naturae
    I liked the fact that the race was mostly different this year.
    It was probably silly for me to race sport but I typically like to do the full course at a race so decided to get my money's worth and sign up for Cat2.

Well, I got my money's worth when I hit a huge rock that was jutting out of the right side of the trail on the first section of singletrack. Not sure if anyone else noticed it, about handlebar high ... anyway, after slamming it with my fist and forearm, my handlebars twisted completely to the right and I went endo. As I was getting up and out of the way, checking my bike for damage, someone else came through and slammed into it and crashed spectacularly as well.

At this point the bike seemed OK and I knew I had a couple real bad scrapes and bruises, but felt good to ride, at least til the bottom of the hill. Did a quick check up and everything seemed fine. I had, however, wasted a lot of time and the race kinda slowed down a bit as I tried to mentally recover.

Once I hit the base of trail 82, I realized my rear D was bent and when I shifted into easiest gear, the chain jumped into the spokes. So no uber-granny gear .. no problem.

Rest of the race was pretty cool. Trail 36 was great, as expected. Climbing goat was okay and I finished off the climb with a shot of pabst beer -- had to turn down the donut holes tho!

Felt good after the race too. No cramping, etc. I lost about 8 minutes with the crash and technicals but could have pushed harder. Next time.

mtbr member
    better bottle cages. They are out there. I use the cheap $3 ones on my other bikes that I don't race with, but for racing, invest $12 if you think keeping your bottles is important. Either that or pick up the next dropped bottle you pass

climbing goat was fun (not as fun as descending, but having this as part of the race was a good thing). I made numerous passes, and dropped others that didn't have passing skills. Only once was I delayed for about 20-30 seconds, and I used that short time to recover, then made a pass. Thats racing. Passing on the descents is more difficult and frustrating. That definately would have happened going down goat.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    First off I wish I had pre-rode the course. I feel much better when I know when I climb ends rather maintaining a lower HR so I don't bonk.

I had a fun time but I had a hard time on the single track climbs my X9 was a bit funky and would not let me put down full power in the middle of my cassette. I like to mash so this whole spinning thing was really cramping my style. Once I got to the familiar last climb I started to mash, I had way to much energy for this point in the race. I passed a lot of people who passed me earlier while I was getting used to that spinning thing. As I was mashing up the last hill I was thinking two things:

1. Where is my PBR and donut hole? I managed to get both Thanks dudes!!

2. I sure hope we are not doing that retarded extra half mile up the old 4x track like last year. To my liking we did not !!

I ended up mid pack 14th of 27
    Cat 2 1:45ish
    My full race report will be up soon at quadzillaracing.com
    you can read another race report from a fellow racer Jon who placed 4th in Cat 1. You will get tired and have leg cramps just from reading it.

Weather was spectacular and the vibe was awesome this year. I met a few more MTBR members, what up Tankgirl, and drank too many beers(net calorie gain for the weekend )
    I also got to accompany D-bug in his first SOC weekend ever, I still have a hard time believing he has never been to biking tailhook before 2011
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    It was my first Sea Otter Classic, and I didnt pre-ride so I didn't quite know what to expect. Started off in the lead group of 10 or so shadowing a few guys from the CCCX
    races. After we hit the dirt I was amazed that I could keep up with the lightweights up the hills. Until we hit the singletrack were we started catching the earlier age group, thats were I got left and lost tons of time. I tried to put the hammer down and use my extra weight on the fireroads to catch up (I even ask a guy to tuck in my draft so we could work together) but the leaders were gone. Finshed 18 out of 69 cat3 35-39

enter and win
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    better bottle cages. They are out there. I use the cheap $3 ones on my other bikes that I don't race with, but for racing, invest $12 if you think keeping your bottles is important. Either that or pick up the next dropped bottle you pass

climbing goat was fun (not as fun as descending, but having this as part of the race was a good thing). I made numerous passes, and dropped others that didn't have passing skills. Only once was I delayed for about 20-30 seconds, and I used that short time to recover, then made a pass. Thats racing. Passing on the descents is more difficult and frustrating. That definately would have happened going down goat.

Great job Rafael! Guess the early morning Peets did wonders for you as it did for me!

On the passing: the brilliance of Sea Otter organization continueth with sending off 15/16 year old boys directly behind my class (sport women 50+). LUCKILY.....they're mostly NorCal/NICA racers who've been plenty schooled on the passing etiquette rules. I was happy to say that each racer passing me (which would be like...all those kids right?) called out, waited if the singletrack was too narrow, thanked after passing and most even said nice work, good job etc. which I said right back. Great job NorCal coaches for teaching these kids to be kind while passing during races. Yeah!

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Gran Fondo had timing chips this year so everything was timed.

No prizes or anything, was a little annoying that some people were trying to treat it as a race versus a tour.

And the GF course was definitely worse than last year; at least there was singletrack early on.. this year it was maybe 20-25% of the entire course. Not going to bother next year, I'll either do DH or not even register for an event at all.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It was a perfect S.O.C. experience. Everything went absolutely to plan, except running out of muscular endurance in the second half of the race. I suspected this would happen, since all my training is generally limited to around 1 hour. I went hell for the first hour or so (probably top 10 at some point) and then "pop". That last long climb back to Laguna Seca was my undoing. I'm already working on a new plan for next year. One little personal triumph was that I cleaned every climb and didn't have to walk any of the sections.

Cat 2, 43-44, 21st, 2:00:24

aka dan51
    First ever Sea Otter for me. It's a huge event, even bigger than I expected.

Cat 2 35-37 was my XC category.
    I sat my ass at the back of the pack where I belong. By the time we hit the dirt the main group was a fair distance ahead of me and a few stragglers.
    I walked the first wall, it seemed to be the thing to do as 90% of riders were walking.
    Got to trail 49, the first real single track downhill, and it was on the brakes. Being as far back as I was I knew I'd get stuck behind guys that don't know how to corner or go downhill. Eventually one guy crashed and another pulled over and then it was racetime, at least for the next hundred yards...
    On the climbs I kept looking back to see if I was slowing anyone down, and would pull over and let them pass. I don't take XC racing seriously and there's no reason for me to mess up anyone else's ride, plus I could use the rest.
    I saw about 4 guys crash throughout the race at various places.
    The hardest part of the race was not turning left onto red rock and having a fun technical DH.
    Okie Dokie passed me on 82, I later caught up to him with chain issues half way up 41. He was searching for a lost quicklink piece in the grass...
    On the final climb I got to a point where some ladies were yelling "2 more hills". At this point I gave it an extra push and passed about 5 guys and peaked to someone yelling "MTBR, we got a beer for you!" I was on the far side and missed it , and just caught a glimpse of the donut holes as I rode by. Next time I'll get some. Though as I rode off I wondered if I'd just puke them up...

29 of 41 @ 2:00:09
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

Laker and a Trail Blazer

maybe it isnt...

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyJay
    When did the fondle become a race?
    Lots of riders with number plates being timed and there was a start and finish line. I thought I was supposed to race pass everyone. No?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast