Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ballbuster

I did okay... for me

I raced CAT2 SS. Finishing time of 2:17, 37th out of 45-ish racers.

I spun with the group down the track, but got dropped at the first climb. I was pretty much alone for a good part of the race until I caught a couple of riders, or got passed by the gearie riders. I worked like mad to inch past one SS rider on the climb out only to be passed in the last second by him when I chose a bad line through the gopher hole section near the finish.

Anyway, I hoofed a few of the worst climbs, but managed to get around the track without cramping. I saved too much for the end, tho. I could have pushed harder.

My number plate disintegrated right after the first climb. I left my bike out overnight chained to my car, and getting soaked by the early morning dew ruined the paper plate. I wish they had those nylon fiber plates, or plastic plates like years past. I saved the RFID strip from the plate and shoved it in the leg of my shorts.

partsman
    Dec 2007

tandemtoughie
    Feb 2011

Sea otter xc Cat three 50-52 disaster

We camped way in the back and the first omen was 4 riders carrying thier bikes through camp at 8.30am, bleeding and limping, the bikes and wheels were trashed. The "hole" got them on the descent. I started my race fine, stayed near the front and then made my way over the top feeling good. Flying down the hill, through the ruts and there was 'the hole", a frantic woman and a body. I missed the hole, the rider and the woman, only to huck it over the ruts and endo neatly over the bank. The woman was trying to do her best at alerting riders to the dangers of "the hole". They were flying by. I was winded and banged up, sorted the bike out, no problems there but had trouble straightening the right arm...seperated the shoulder and it was sticking up through my jersey. Bang another rider went down, and then another. She checked me again and said I was the 12th rider down so that made at least 14 crashes there. I declined the ambulance and rode/hiked back up the hill. There were an amazing number of water bottles littering the whole rutted slope. Made it to the medical tent, where the dazed and confused DH guys were staggering around. Got some ice a tri bandage and a map to Salinas ER. I got back to my truck, painfully loaded it all up and drove to Salinas ER......it was mayhem and as I wasn't bleeding or puking I wasn't going to be a priority, so I drove the 4 hours home one handed to Santa Rosa and got treated at Palm Drive Hospital in under 2 hours..awesome painkillers. The bummer was I was feeling really strong after the Sat circuit race...I will have to get wife clearance to ride next year with my son on the tandem...I hope they fix the hole. Great riding though, good to see so many people of all ages stretching their legs.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    First race ever cat 2 35 to 37 finished 24th out of 41 no walking rode everything 1x9

mtbr member
    not a great day for me performance-wise.....Cat 2 SS and wasn't at all in shape this year. Cramped pretty badly from mile 17-20 alternated walking riding the last hills
    Ended up at the bottom of the pack but finished with no crashes and had fun....
    I can't believe with all the gravel they spread that they didn't fix the badly rutted area.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Cat 3, 35 plus, 1:59ish

it was a bummer for me this year!

I caught the flu mid-last week and was fighting if off during the race--felt terrible! I stopped several times to hack up my lungs and catch my breath...then flatted 4 miles before the end and helped out some other rider with their flat too (lost more than 10 minutes overall). Even in my sorry state, I managed to ride the whole course (albeit very slowly) and finished feeling great that I didn't quite.

mtbr member
    CAT 3, Fat boy class (29 y/o) 2:06:20

Time of my life.

I've been riding since 1996 but this was my first official race in ages.
    The race was a blast. The first stretch of single track was beyond fun. I caught on to the back of another "clyde" (6'3 201 lbs) and we ripped the decent. At some point I got caught up behind some of the vet class riders that took off before us. I stayed to the left on both of the "danger" areas but they didn't seem that bad. The sand dune we had to ride down was a bit sketch but I cleared it. The guy behind me didn't have the same luck as he did a graceful front flip on to his back. I forgot where on the trail the single track climb began but that is when the tread on my shoes came into play. I just didn't have it in me to ride the entire climb. Perhaps its the fact that I didn't go to bed until 1 am, or the fact that we woke up at 6 am in order to race at 9:38! Or the fact that I barley had a cliff bar for breakfast. I let the women and some kids ride by.

At the feed zone my calves began to cramp. I caught 3 cups of water which I dumped on my head. One guy had cliff bars which I snagged but when I went to put them in my jersey pocket I misplaced my hand and they dropped to the ground. All I had was some gel to get my through the race.

The last climb up the fire road wasn't that bad. Just one of those times you have to put your head down and suck it up. I felt bad for the guys who were not running clipless. They looked like they were hurting.

Next, Downiville!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandemtoughie
    We camped way in the back and the first omen was 4 riders carrying thier bikes through camp at 8.30am, bleeding and limping, the bikes and wheels were trashed. The "hole" got them on the descent. I started my race fine, stayed near the front and then made my way over the top feeling good. Flying down the hill, through the ruts and there was 'the hole", a frantic woman and a body. I missed the hole, the rider and the woman, only to huck it over the ruts and endo neatly over the bank. The woman was trying to do her best at alerting riders to the dangers of "the hole". They were flying by. I was winded and banged up, sorted the bike out, no problems there but had trouble straightening the right arm...seperated the shoulder and it was sticking up through my jersey. Bang another rider went down, and then another. She checked me again and said I was the 12th rider down so that made at least 14 crashes there. I declined the ambulance and rode/hiked back up the hill. There were an amazing number of water bottles littering the whole rutted slope. Made it to the medical tent, where the dazed and confused DH guys were staggering around. Got some ice a tri bandage and a map to Salinas ER. I got back to my truck, painfully loaded it all up and drove to Salinas ER......it was mayhem and as I wasn't bleeding or puking I wasn't going to be a priority, so I drove the 4 hours home one handed to Santa Rosa and got treated at Palm Drive Hospital in under 2 hours..awesome painkillers. The bummer was I was feeling really strong after the Sat circuit race...I will have to get wife clearance to ride next year with my son on the tandem...I hope they fix the hole. Great riding though, good to see so many people of all ages stretching their legs.
    Salinas ER is horrible. Monterey ER ( CHOMP ) is way better.

tandemtoughie
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ladodgers
    Salinas ER is horrible. Monterey ER ( CHOMP ) is way better.
    Thanks LADOGERS, I have no intention of going to visit either again. I get sliced and diced next week, Stainless plate and screws, cadaver ligament, the works....hey does that make me a "real" cyclist? I am spinning on the trainer, arm in asling.....crying huge tears....but I will be back (A.Governator).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2