mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Sea Otter climbing?

There's a slight chance I can go west to do this race. My understanding is the course will be pretty much the same this year as last year for experts. My race would be only one lap (older guys).

Does anyone know the amount of climbing for one lap? Is it lots of short steep climbs, or a couple of long steady climbs? My strong point is long uphills, but I'm guessing that isn't the case for this course.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fastitus
    There's a slight chance I can go west to do this race. My understanding is the course will be pretty much the same this year as last year for experts. My race would be only one lap (older guys).

Does anyone know the amount of climbing for one lap? Is it lots of short steep climbs, or a couple of long steady climbs? My strong point is long uphills, but I'm guessing that isn't the case for this course.
    It really depends on your definition of long extended climbs. Out here (west coast) I consider a long extended climb 8-10 miles 4000-6000 feet of elevation gain. There is nothing like that at Sea Otter but there are a few extended couple of hundred feet climbs. More importantly there is NO flat ground, you are either going up or coming down. I can tell you that it is the toughest expert race I do all year, the early season and the long two lap course combine to make it a suffer fest.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    It really depends on your definition of long extended climbs. Out here (west coast) I consider a long extended climb 8-10 miles 4000-6000 feet of elevation gain. There is nothing like that at Sea Otter but there are a few extended couple of hundred feet climbs. More importantly there is NO flat ground, you are either going up or coming down. I can tell you that it is the toughest expert race I do all year, the early season and the long two lap course combine to make it a suffer fest.
    Actually the last climb is fairly long , if you consider the s/t with the rollers before the fireroad climb out and there are some other s/t climbs in the middle , but then there's a difference of opinion between you as an expert and me as a sport class50+ , but the last section is fairly long.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Based on http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...pkValue=596979 there is 3857 feet of elevation gain and loss per lap of 19.7 mi.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I trained for climbs last year, but not for endurance. Big mistake. I was around 5th in my age group for the first hour, but finished 14th. Make sure you can ride all out, maximum effort, including hills, for 2 hours without letting up. Will power alone won't cut it.

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    I and friends measured the total ascent at 2600 feet. I had a Garmin 305 and he had a bike computer with an altimeter. I am not sure what is up with that motion based track of the course.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ....one last thing on that final 2 mile climb out of the canyon before you descend to the start/finish area. All but one year there was a nasty headwind 20-25 mph. That makes a 6% grade feel more like 20%. My two cents worth. Good luck!!