mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Runs for DH Practice?

I am going to be racing Cat 3 DH. I am planning on coming Saturday morning for the 8:00-9:30 practice slot and I will be there before 8. How many runs should I expect to get in?

Dark Horse Racing
    You asked this question in another thread, your answer is over there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    And I wanted to see any other experiences....

Airborne Flight Crew
    The answer doesn't change, same people see that thread that see this one..

That said: you can count on 1 run on race day, maybe two, but I doubt it. Do yourself a favor and show up for Friday's practice.

And the "why"

There is one shuttle running for the DH course. It's a big box truck/moving van. When you get to the bottom of the course, you'll wait anywhere from 20-40 minutes in a line for your bike to be loaded on the van, along with about 50 other bikes. Surly dudes on work-release will be loading/unloading your bike. The van and bikes will leave without you. You will wait another minute or two for one of the other passenger vans to show up, where you'll climb in with 10 other anxious sweaty guys, and then you'll ride back up to the top.

They'll let you out of the passenger van, and you run over to the moving van to retrieve your bike. Then you walk 3 more minutes to get in line, and you'll wait there another 15-20 minutes to take your next run. On non race day I got three practice runs in I think.

Not pretty, but honestly, I wouldn't want to be in charge of it, and they do the best they can...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I am going to be racing a very pedal friendly bike, how long is the climb if I wanted to hash it out on my own?

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by carpy95 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I am going to be racing a very pedal friendly bike, how long is the climb if I wanted to hash it out on my own?
    That's a good question... I suppose, if you have the energy that's a solution of sorts. I think in the van it takes about maybe 10 minutes driving, maybe 3 miles? Somebody may correct me, but if traffic is decent/low it's a quick drive. To ride it... It has a couple pretty steep pitches, but you may actually beat the shuttle - it would be close, but you'd be in control of your destiny at least
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I might just do that if I get to the bottom of the run and the guy says it'll be about 30 minutes until the shuttle takes off.

Dark Horse Racing
    Here's what you have to look forward to

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/2...jpg?1334161427

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Wow....probably will bike it.

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
    Here's what you have to look forward to

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/2...jpg?1334161427
    That picture is classic!

It is a lot less than three miles. The downhill course is only a mile. I have been going to Laguna Seca for many years and walked from the from the end of the downhill course to the start a couple times. You can easily walk it in the time it would take to wait for the shuttle. If you rode most of it and walk the steep bits on a DH bike you could do it pretty quick 15-20 minutes. The steep parts are steep but not that long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sweet, thanks for all the info guys. It sounds like a no-brainer for my bike to just ride it.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Froride1 View Post
    That picture is classic!

It is a lot less than three miles. The downhill course is only a mile. I have been going to Laguna Seca for many years and walked from the from the end of the downhill course to the start a couple times. You can easily walk it in the time it would take to wait for the shuttle. If you rode most of it and walk the steep bits on a DH bike you could do it pretty quick 15-20 minutes. The steep parts are steep but not that long.
    That photo is nuts, and brings back haunting memories... so much so, I might skip the shuttle altogether as well and just hike it. If I get in early enough on Friday, I'll try it...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    We had a friend pick us up at the bottom and shuttle us a couple years ago and skipped the line. Don't think you're supposed to, but we didn't get harrassed for doing it.

mtbr member
    You can't avoid the line in the picture, it is at the top of the downhill course, not the line waiting for the shuttle.

Google earth has the road from the bottom of the downhill to the top at 1.1 miles with a 490 foot elevation gain. The only traffic on first 0.9 miles of the road will be the shuttles. The last 0.2 miles will have general traffic on it.
    Take Gravity For A Ride

mtbr member

Upset

Considering the high entry fees, that is TBS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dagenhay View Post
    You can't avoid the line in the picture, it is at the top of the downhill course, not the line waiting for the shuttle.

Google earth has the road from the bottom of the downhill to the top at 1.1 miles with a 490 foot elevation gain. The only traffic on first 0.9 miles of the road will be the shuttles. The last 0.2 miles will have general traffic on it.
    500 feet is a lot. I'll probably still do it.