mtbr member

Recommended Gearing for Sea Otter SS

I'm racing Sea Otter SS for the first time this weekend (Cat 2). I've raced plenty of XC, but haven't raced SS before.

I've been riding exclusively SS since September, and find that 32x19 on my 29er is pretty good for most of the Bay Area trails I ride. I was thinking of racing 34x20 for Sea Otter.

Any thoughts on whether that will be too spinny? The course profile looks like there aren't too many flats. FWIW, I'm nowhere close to peak condition right now , so I would rather err on the side of too easy a ratio - just not so easy that I look like the roadrunner for most of the race.

mtbr member
    on a 29er i'd say 32/18 or 19 is probably the most popular for Fort Ord in general. gear the bike for what you are comfortable with. if you are more of a spinner, go that direction. there will be run or walking sections no matter how you gear. i run a tougher gear, but that does not mean i am faster.. right... just fits my style better... i'm a big fat masher....

my 2 cents

Q

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    I ride 49 inches (26x32x17). Yours is very similar to my ratio. I have no plans of changing it for race or anything else. One bike, one gear ratio!

I rode with a couple of SSers last weekend. Two of them were riding 52 and 54 inches.

It sounds a better strategy to ride a high ratio as the tough climbs are hike-a-bikes anyway (for me at least ). You would at least be fast on other sections.

Ali