mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Questions about SOC for a noobie

Hello,

Looked around these forums for a while and didn't get a clear answer on how much climbing there is in the 1 lap/19 mi loop. After searching for about an hour I have seen answers ranging from 2400 to 3600 ft. I have seen http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...pkValue=596979 but it looks like it is the pro loop? Any help would be appreciated. Also, I am racing cat 3 19-24, what time should I be looking to aim for to contend for a top 5 spot?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    here is a link to the short loop.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2871714

btw, looks likes Cat3's do the big loop.

http://www.seaotterclassic.com/userf...0distances.pdf
    Last edited by jeffkenn; 04-07-2009 at 08:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have seen those links, but I was wondering about the amount of climbing in the 19 mi loop not the 12 mi loop, thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Just press play on the Garmin site and follow along.

Lusus Naturae
    To answer one of your original questions, its just hard to figure what time you need to make in order to contend for a top spot. I came in at 1:57 last year and was 29 out of about 85 people. I think if you can make 1:40-45 then you have a chance. Check the results from last year.

You never know who your competition is going to be so just ride hard and be efficient with energy in and energy out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks for the info, this is my first season racing and have only been riding since october '08 and really only been training to race since february '09 but have done all of the Kenda Cup west series and am currently second in my Cat 3 division.

Another question I have is that I have normally been racing with a Stumpjumper FSR Expert for all the races through Sagebrush. I have access to a Stumpjumper HT Marathon 29' and due to the amount of climbing featured in the SOC am wondering if the HT would be the better choice? I am currently building up the HT but the FS SJ weighs in at 26 lbs. I can keep up with everyone on the climbs but can not do much to gain distance on anyone, but can attack on the DH. Basically, does the DH warrant having a FS bike? Or will the HT be the way to go.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sea Otter is easily do-able on a HT, but 26lbs for a full squishy bike is reasonable. Ride the bike that you have the most experience riding and gives you the most confidence.

I have found my biggest improvements did not coming from lightening up my bike, but by improving my aerobic engine, improving my abililty to take corners and downhills faster, pacing myself better, and improving my suspension and tire setup/selection. That being said, new bling for the bike is also fun. Good luck with your race.

Rides a sledgehammer
    Cat 3 does do the full 19 mile loop. It has roughly 3000ft of climbing and 70-75% of that is at the end I would say. I have been training on a 22 mile loop doing 3500ft of climbing. If you can do something similar around 1:45 you will do great!....Most of all have fun, it's a great route and an awesome festival.