Uncle

Props for HS/15-18 Mens category XC: Great kids on the course

Just a shout out to the youngest racers on the full XC course Sunday morning. I was the last Cat 2 SS racer off the tarmac early Sunday morning (by at least 30sec), and despite a 5min lead start time, I knew for sure those kids would be on my back wheel before long. Sure enough, just as I dipped into the first single track, the herd was right there on my tail. I can recount several similar situations in years gone by when racing XC Sport class, the leaders of other adult categories found there way on my back at inopportune times, and not all were pleasant exchanges.

I know what their coaches preach, and what they preach to preach if you get my drift. But what did they demonstrate? They were fast, and they were courteous: I've never been so politely addressed by a faster racer on the course - not once but perhaps a dozen times. It was so great to see these kids working hard and competing, and so refreshing to be greeted by this group in such a way during a competitive situation. I was so impressed that after about the first dozen had gone by, all courteous as heck, that I just decided to dismount to let them all through.

Coaches & parents: You all should be proud as heck of these kids, from the top of the field to the bottom. Great work.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Great post, I know kids on both, the Aptos and Salinas teams and they are just as mature and considerate off the course. Their competitive spirit and seemingly unlimited talent will carry them far!
    And yes, I am on my way to an ass kickin contest

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Nice post, and thanks. My kid was almost certainly one of those, as he was near the front of the Cat 2 boys' pack.

This was a very competitive group with tightly bunched times that would have put many of them on podiums had they been racing in the adult Cat 2 groups. (Probably a few sandbagger in there who should have been in Cat 1). There also were 68 finishers in this group -- it really needs to be split by age; the best 15-16 year olds usually can't hope to compete with 17-18 year olds.