Thread: OMG! Sea Otter!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

OMG! Sea Otter!

So, after being out of the biking scene for the last many years, I got back into it again and just registered for SOC! I'll be running Cat 3 Clydesdale XC on the Tallboy SC just made for my buddy and i'll be running Cat 3 Downhill on my Nomad...I'm super excited!

Here is my Nomad...

We are staying with my buddy at their house right across the street from Laguna Seca so at least we get to sleep in a bit longer than normal!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    One question, when DH race time comes, do we only get one timed run? Since its a short course I figured there may be a possibility of two runs but I wasn't sure and the website says nothing about it!

Dark Horse Racing
    One timed DH race run and don't be late for your start time. Sick bike and good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the heads up man! I am OCD so being on time is always my main concern so I'll be there!

You think it's feasible to get 2-3 practice runs in in the 8:00-9:30 practice?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice! I'll be riding Cat 3 DH on my 110mm Trek Superfly 100! haha.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice! Since I don't know anyone in the MTB world anymore (outside my close friends) it will be good to have someone to hang out with while we wait for our runs...

We've been training hard lately getting ready! Yesterday was a nice 11.16 mile ride up to the summit of Peavine Mountain (8,000ft elevation), a total of 3,600ft of climb. Then we rode right back down the same trail home, which was another 11.16 miles of downhill! we are hoping the altitude up here is good deficit training for us!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice! Does anyone have any ideas how many practice runs the 8:00-9:30 morning time will garner for DH?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was hoping to hear that as well, I am guessing there will be no more than 2-3 practice runs...

Dark Horse Racing
    Expect no more than 1 morning pre race practice run with a long wait in line, anymore than that is a bonus. Thats just how it goes at Sea Otter when you have a few hundred people wanting to get practice in 1.5hr. Good luck on your race!

Airborne Flight Crew
    yep, you'll be be lucky to get two practice runs a day, and one on race day, so make them count, and walk the course beforehand.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well, in the aftermath of SOC, I ended up surprising myself!

Cat 3 Downhill - 13th out of 20 (3:04:00) AND I crashed in the lower part of the course.

Cat 3 XC (Clydesdale) - 9th out of 44 (1:30:59) and I was totally pleased with that!

PRETENDURO
    Nice job on the XC race!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Industries View Post
    Well, in the aftermath of SOC, I ended up surprising myself!

Cat 3 Downhill - 13th out of 20 (3:04:00) AND I crashed in the lower part of the course.

Cat 3 XC (Clydesdale) - 9th out of 44 (1:30:59) and I was totally pleased with that!

Congrats! I got 13th last year in Cat 2 - this year, I moved up to 7th (2:39 and some change).. total blast, practice went a bit smoother this year.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ya, I wish I got a better practice in but not a big deal! I don't like the DH course much at SOC personally. If I wanted dirt jumps I would be back on my old 20" DK SOB...I guess I'm more of a Super D guy nowadays...I prefer natural terrain DH any day!

Congrats on your move up, you chopped half the field in a single season!

mtbr member
    Good job. Keep it up!