mtbr member

New to Sea Otter

I am planning to do Sea Otter for the first time in 2011. It will be my first race...ever! I am looking at doing Cat 3 XC, 35-39. So, all those who have done racing, please provide some advice for us n00bs:

1. Training tips
    2. Equipment tips
    3. How much safety gear?
    4. Anything else that will help!

Thanks much!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sea Otter is a blast. It is like Disneyland for bike lovers!!
    1. Get out and ride, increase the intensity through Febuary and March, raise your pain threshold.
    2. Train with heavy tires and tubes, race with fast short knobs and thin tubes. I would recommmend Small Block 8's or Nevagal's.
    3. For cross country, you only need your regular riding gear, shorts, jersey, helmet, gloves and glasses.
    4. Bring warm weather clothes, cool weather clothes and a rain parka, there is usually wind and a chance of rain. The wind can be cold, the evenings and mornings are cold. You may even be blessed with a warm day. Try to go for more than one day, there is alot to see. You could spend a day walking the expo and there is some form of racing happening at all times. You may want to wear some light hiking boots to walk around in as the place is spread out and a little hilly. Bring plenty of water and food or a bunch of money. My bet is you will want to make it an annual trip. I have only missed two since 1995.
    Ride Fast Take Chances

mtbr member
    Thanks for the words of wisdom, Rob. I am really looking forward to the event. I have got to find some better trails around Modesto to train on, we have some of the worst biking on the West Coast. Oh well.

As for tires and tubes, I run ghetto tubeless (because of the goathead thorns around here, again Modesto is about the worst biking imaginable) and just changed to a set of Kenda Pathfinders. Great for hardpan trails like we have here.

I don't expect to place, but I will finish. That works for me!

ginormous newbie
    Pegot, I'm from Escalon so were kinda neighbors! I am going to start riding the "trail" friends and I sort of cut on our dirtbikes a couple years ago out here, its nothing serious but better than paved bs in town...your welcome to come ride out here if mo-town bores you

Jay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big Jay
    Pegot, I'm from Escalon so were kinda neighbors! I am going to start riding the "trail" friends and I sort of cut on our dirtbikes a couple years ago out here, its nothing serious but better than paved bs in town...your welcome to come ride out here if mo-town bores you

Jay
    Thanks, I may take you up on that!

ask
    user

Pre-ride

+1 "Sea Otter is a blast. It is like Disneyland for bike lovers!!"

It would be good if you could go down and ride the course ahead of time. The course changes a bit from year to year, but getting to know the types of trails would be good. There are some moderate climbs and some very loose sandy descents. Knowing where these are helped me a ton. If you can find someone that can guide you, that would be good... I got lost a few times the first time I tried to pre-ride the course. I think the ideal would be to ride it soon so you can gauge how much training you need prior to the race... then pre-ride a week or so before the race so you have some confidence going in.

Don't stress... Some guys lose sleep and have a tough time eating before the race. The race is very fun and the people (at least in Cat 3) are friendly. There will be tons of other guys there that have never raced. Go and have a good time.

The area is a beautiful place to ride... so it is worth a road-trip to check it out anyway. Check out these pics from another post. Ft. Ord adventure

Red Rock Ridge

Goat Trail, missed that rain

Trail 47

The Pacific

Trail 50 open!

Trail 50

Trail 50

Manzanita in bloom

Many gooseberries in bloom

Red Rock ridge

"Trail" 61

Trail 22

Trail 22

Trail 22

Near Trail 71

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pegot
    I am planning to do Sea Otter for the first time in 2011. It will be my first race...ever! I am looking at doing Cat 3 XC, 35-39. So, all those who have done racing, please provide some advice for us n00bs:

1. Training tips
    2. Equipment tips
    3. How much safety gear?
    4. Anything else that will help!

Thanks much!

I would recommend the Gran Fondo MTB ride, previously called the Fun ride. It is on Saturday not Sunday so may fit into travel plans better. It is a great scenic ride of what the area has to offer.

I "raced" cat3 2years ago, also my first race and what an eye opener. Lets just say over the course of 20miles everyone gets spread waaaay outttt and unless you are a serious ride or have natural talent even cat3 "race" is tuff if you expect to do well. As you can guess I was an anchor......

Go to have fun and enjoy all the festival has to offer, plenty to see and do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Great pictures