Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    290

    my first race... and I picked Sea Otter

    I decided that a race this year would be fun, and the Sea Otter was right around the corner. It really was a great choice for my first race. Lots of learning, and Cat 3 Clydes was the perfect division for my first race. If anybody is thinking about racing, go to the sea otter and really enjoy it. I met some awesome pros, they just wanted to chill and talk, not too many jerks that thought they were awesome haha.

    Thanks for putting on such a great event. Next year will be even better!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SFBMRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    221
    How was the Clyde field? In 2011 it was me, a couple of other real clydes and the rest were 6 foot +, 201 lbs, 4% body fat.
    Glad you had fun.

  3. #3
    scared to post
    Reputation: radiocraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    106
    i did my first race at sea otter last year and it was a blast
    i'm not joking, posting is scary

  4. #4
    Is this thing on?
    Reputation: Froride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    I decided that a race this year would be fun, and the Sea Otter was right around the corner. It really was a great choice for my first race. Lots of learning, and Cat 3 Clydes was the perfect division for my first race. If anybody is thinking about racing, go to the sea otter and really enjoy it. I met some awesome pros, they just wanted to chill and talk, not too many jerks that thought they were awesome haha.

    Thanks for putting on such a great event. Next year will be even better!
    The Sea Otter is a blast, I had fun camping at it back in the day (late 90's) and the last couple years hoteling it. I have found the samething as you and its why I like racing MTBs, most people from pros on down are pretty cool mellow peeps. I'm thinking about renting a motorhome and camping next year.

    Quote Originally Posted by SFBMRC View Post
    How was the Clyde field? In 2011 it was me, a couple of other real clydes and the rest were 6 foot +, 201 lbs, 4% body fat.
    Glad you had fun.
    Really? Cat 3 last year was a very broad cross section of Clydes, from the guys you describe to the guys I give major props to for just getting out there and racing. If you think the guys at the front of Cat 3 were tall and lean, take a look at the Cat 2 Clydes. It's the land of giants, at 5'10" and 225, I felt like a fat midget. But I did just fine in the race, 10th place. Just because they are tall and lean doesn't mean they are fit or fast.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    73
    Sorry for what is probably a stupid question... but what is the criteria for being a "clyde"? I didn't see it on the Sea Otter site (which doesn't mean its not there!)

  6. #6
    Is this thing on?
    Reputation: Froride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBayLaser View Post
    Sorry for what is probably a stupid question... but what is the criteria for being a "clyde"? I didn't see it on the Sea Otter site (which doesn't mean its not there!)
    200+ pounds thats it. All ages and heights.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    290
    I want to camp next year, it will make everything better. haha.

Similar Threads

  1. Sea Otter Hot Afternoon CAT 1 Race Eating
    By Killroy in forum Nutrition and Hydration
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2013, 06:57 PM
  2. Has the Sea Otter Classic race course changed?
    By mb2boost in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 06:28 PM
  3. Sea Otter XC race course track and info
    By erginguney in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 02:48 PM
  4. Sea Otter "This Is How My Race Went" thread..??
    By mtnbecky in forum Sea Otter Classic
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 01:18 PM
  5. Sea Otter "This Is How My Race Went" thread..??
    By mtnbecky in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 12:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •