swag ho Administrator

Mtbr Sea Otter Raffle - update and feedback wanted

Hello Everyone,

For those of you who have had the pleasure of attending the Sea Otter in years past, and have experienced the madness and excitement that is the Mtbr Prize Raffle, we want to let you know that things will be a little different this year.

Mtbr will be charging $1 per ticket for our prize raffle with half of the proceeds going to charity. Hopefully everyone can agree that $1 is a very nominal cost, for some outstanding prizes.

We will still have some “freebies” to toss to the crowd, but the prizes will be raffled off a bit more methodically than in years past.

We anticipate that charging for the raffle may ruffle some feathers, but considering that we’ve had the biggest prize raffle for the last 8 years running, all for free….we think it’s not too much to ask for a little support in return.

Thanks for your support, hope to see you all there.

-francis, gregg, adam, and the entire Mtbr crew
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aussie Bob

Charity

Sounds good to me wich charity? How about the American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Sounds good to me wich charity? How about the American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure

We will pick two. Suggestions are welcome.

fc

Ride what you want!!
    $1 is more than reasonable..... Times are tight.

Any chance of something like $1 each or 7 for $5?

Plus, it'll cut down on the amount of numbers called with no one there to collect.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Snowjnky McDreamy
    if you pay will you have to be present?
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Track Junkie
    A small discount to MTBR people would be cool. Something like, if your post-count is over 100, then you get an extra ticket for every 5 you buy.

Just a suggestion.

-Brad <-- who is still enjoyin his GoPro camera setup he won last year!
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Follow up on Snowjunky-

Do you have to be present to win?

Maybe set aside the top 5 or 10 items (ie frames), and you don't have to be present for, and must be present for small prizes. Also, if you win a small prize, is that number discarded for the bigger prizes? I think it was before, but that might not be as fair if you are charging for them.

regardless, count me in for 5 to 10 tickets.

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    For those asking about having to be present to win...let me ask this:

Are you more willing to buy a ticket (or hopefully multiple tickets if you do not have to be present to win?

One of the problems about being present to win, is that it is a pretty big buzz kill to announce the grand prize winner of the spiffy new ultra blingy Hot Bike....then the winner is not there...

We have tossed around the idea of making a separate raffle, for those who know that they can't be at the booth exactly at raffle time, like setting aside some of the real good prizes (but not the top prize).

Again, we are open to other ideas that are:

-not a total science project to administer/implement
    -help maximize both ticket sales and promotional coverage for sponsor prizes

-g

(edit: people who volunteer for Mtbr booth duty, will receive an extra ticket for free. more news on how to sign-up for booth duty coming soon)
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by francois

fc
    Sure:

Helped to make Rancho Canada Del Oro possible, including the adjacent Blair Ranch, and recently announced link between RCDO/Blair/Calero and Almaden Quicksilver/Sierra Azul. These linkages are a long term project, as is getting Calero open to bikes, but the foundation is being laid.

The Nature Conservancy California, which has helped to protect open spaces all over California. They have been instrumental in Henry Coe growing to its current size, making it the largest state park in northern California.

-D

Snowjnky McDreamy
    my idea
    top prizes you must be present, but make it optional to put your ticket to the top prizes
    ie: I buy 5 tix
    I put two into the top prize drawing and three into another that does nor require me to be present.

Also you have to be careful when you start charging for tickets there are state and local laws the come into effect when you charge for tickets.
    One of them might be that you do not have to be present...not sure though. I would talk to your lawyers or risk management.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    Are you more willing to buy a ticket (or hopefully multiple tickets if you do not have to be present to win?
    My attendance will be limited this year; if I have to be present to win, I won't buy any tickets...

Got Twins?
    I support the "must be present to win" rule for the raffle. If you can't make it, give your ticket(s) to a friend (hoping for his/her honesty) to collect for you.

Gregg and Francis, maybe have a representative in your booth of the charities you are supporting. This may facilitate more donations to them and a way for us to get to know what the charity is about or may have had questions about the charity in general. $1 a ticket isn't much and you've been pretty good to give us free schwagg all these years, plus in this economic climate, charities are hurting from lower donations.

My 0.02,
    L8
    Let us Ride!

formerly Gobike69

A dollar seems reasonable

When do you plan to hold the raffle? I want to be there as long as you're not raffling any French crud
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    TWO Thoughts:

1) Raffle Ideas
    Why not hold the raffle over the course of an afternoon so you create a reason to check back in with MTBR. A few drawings every hour. For smaller items you need to be present to win. If your number is called and you are not there to claim it move on to another number and stoke someone present... it is still about luck.
    For larger prizes like frames or forks and wheels... call out a number for a larger prize and give the winner an hour to check in( until next raffle)... if they do not show up in an hour or two void that ticket and re-raffle the item.
    That may be a big pain the the arse but it was just an idea of not penalizing someone for not standing next to the booth all day, as well as not give out a cool prize to someone not present. You would just keep adding to the suspense of who is gonne win big!

2) Charity Donation-
    I like that someone mentioned the Nature Conservancy... I love my habitat, but why give out money to a group who does not openly recognize cycling and does have a pipeline to a lot more funding?
    Why not a local Bike Advocacy group like SF URBAN RIDRS who are taking the lead in the MTB world on creating sustainable bike recreation and seriously bringing a Native Plant and Habitat element into their Mission Satement (just look at the work on Mt Sutro and the plans for McLAren Park).
    SFUR also is preparing to launch an expansive Youth Bike Program aimed at giving under privileged kids free bikes!
    A group that addresses Trail issues, Habitat improvements and Youth Bike recreation seems like a group worthy of support.

Disclaimer
    I am an SF Urban Rider - and we are working in unique ways to improve cycling in San Francisco.

Two Tired

Advocacy donations

I think donations to charities is a good idea. I think our biggest issue is winning access through the political process, though I think a good case could be made for trail management groups. In keeping with the national spirit of the Sea Otter, I suggest the IMBA for a national charity. Local beneficiaries are numerous, but groups that come to mind are ROMP, MORCA, MBOSC, and the Stewards of Soquel Forest, but there are lots more in the extended local region to consider. Many of these local groups are both political advocates and trailwork organizers.

Disclaimer: I already donate to IMBA and ROMP.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

Silence! I kill you!
    I know I'd buy a few raffle tickets, but I'm not sure I'd be able to be there for the drawing. I'm tentatively planning on making it Friday. The only problem I'd see if allowing people who aren't present is how do you know who actually won if they're not there?
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    ... The only problem I'd see if allowing people who aren't present is how do you know who actually won if they're not there?
    This portion of it, we could handle online. Like, say you know you won't be there, but we have a set number of prizes set aside regardless of whether you are there or not....people could log on to Mtbr anytime during the following week, to see if there name/ticket number is there. Like someone suggested, maybe there is a separate box, and people who will not be there, have to write their name and phone number on the back of the ticket, and submit it.

-g
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I second the bonus tix for those who buy multiples i.e. 6 for $5, 13 for 10.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by francois

fc
    How about IMBA being one of them??? Not really a charity, but trail access, trail build crews, mountain biker rights, etc are all things we need to support so we can continue to enjoy our sport. Makes sense for MTBR to support IMBA... half to IMBA and half to a charity.

Just a thought.

Gig'em Aggies!
    I agree that you should be required to be there for the smaller prizes but not so much for the larger ones. There are a lot of people that enter the raffle for the chance to win the big prize but still have to work over the weekend or something else. Otherwise, there will be a lot of people who do not purchase tickets simply because they know they can't be there for the chance to win the big prize. I recommend to have it where you have to be present for all prizes with the exception of the top 3.

I think it is awesome that half the proceeds are going to charity btw.

mtbr member
    so, I walked by the booth - didn't see anything about tickets?

Got a sticker, thx

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Was it just me or did it seem like the ticket numbers ending with 27xx, 28xx and 208x were being called waaaaaaaaaaay too often.

I think you guys need a better "shuffling" machine not just mix it with your hand, some sort of turning wheel that turns them around.

And yes, I didn't win anything haha!

I picked up some tickets, a mtbr t-shirt and pint glass. Thanks!

mtbr member
    thanks for picking my ticket today...going to enjoy that crank set for sure

mtbr member
    what was the grand prize? i wasnt able to make it this year. kinda bumbed i didnt go.
    Ride & Smile