mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Movie premiere sham!!! ( Decline,Cannondale,VAS) did you wait in line?

Did you wait in line on sat night at Montery Live to see the video premiere presented by Cannondale,Decline Mag,and VAS?? (Sevenvision) .Well I did and it was a BIG waste of my time and money ($25.00 round trip cab).What was billed as a free premiere open to the public in the offical Sea Otter daily paper was actully just a party for everyone that knew somebody involved with the movie or its sponsers.I arrived at the door about 8 pm and was about 10th in line. At the time a young lady was at the door with VIP passes that she was handing out to what was supposed to be "VIPs". The girl told the people waiting that the fire code only allowed 150 people, and that there were 75 VIP passes, then they would let in 75 more that were in line.As cars unloaded groups of people in front, one guy would get a pass and drag in a handfull of his bros or go back in the line (wich had grown to about 100 plus) and pull in some of his friends.This continued till about 8:45-9:00. The line started to get a little unhappy about standing there for almost an hour.No one from the bar or the sponsers would give any answers as to when we might be let in,so we waited till about 9:15.Finally some one came out and said that nobody else was going to be let in! Of all people that waited,not one was let in to this "public" premiere.Of course at this time the crowd was not very happy to say the least and was looking for someone to explain what was up.Nobody would come out to face the music.As the crowd got a little unrully looking for somebody to blame, someone sent out a clipboard and told us to write it down if we wanted to say something to Brian from VAS.We finally had a name to vent on and the paper quickly filled up with some not so subtle things about Brian,Cannondale Decline and anyone else involved with the movie.About 9:30 Brian came out and introduced himself ,recieving lots of boos and shouts.Brian apoligised and said it was out of his controll and that he wanted to make it up to all those that had waited .His answer was to put a Cannondale frame up for raffle on VAS' web site.As of today(thurs 4/19) nothing is on their site and repeated calls to Brian have not been returned.A least VAS could have done would be to offer free copies of the movie to the first 75 people in line or some other consolation to make up for everyones' wasted time.Sorry this was such a ramble ,but I felt that the bike industry and general public should be aware that the people who support these events are the ones that spend thier money on products,not all the industry insiders that get freebies or bro deals.A copy of this will go out to all the trade publications that I can contact as well as all involved with the movie.Thanks for reading ,now I have to get out and ride and live the life their trying to sell.
    Last edited by sprocketheads; 04-20-2007 at 10:27 AM.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Sorry to hear this mang, that sucks.

I would suggest having someone proof-read it before it gets sent out. I'd also send a copy to BRAIN mag, they print almost every letter sent to them, and it's read by a lot of industry types.

Bicycle Retailer & Industry News
    mtompkins@bicycleretailer.com or fax it to (949) 206-1675
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

never ender
    That's lame. Monterey Live was a pretty dumb venue for something associated with Sea Otter anyway...as far as I remember, that place is TINY.

My arm hurts a little
    LAME!!! I hate that crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

don't move for trees
    wow that sucks, sorry to hear about that. We where going to come out, but had to race in the morning, glad we didn't go
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    that sucks!

Stray Bullet
    I waited in that line and I thought it was pretty lame. It was pretty apparent if you weren't some industry person you weren't getting in. A local stopped me on the street and asked what the line was for. He commented that he had lived in Monterey for 10 years and never seen the line for the "Live" that long ever.

Oh well.

mtbr member
    Yea me and a few friends waited outside for almost 45min , didnt get let in and jsut before we left I saw Aaron Lutez from MAtch Video zine usser in all his friends and right after that is when the guy from Monterey live came out and told everyone that NO-ONE was getting into see the movie ... lame !
    At least Don Hampton or Aaron could have come out and told everyone , not some chode from the club .
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Monterey Live is waaaayyyy to small

I am a local and have been to some cool shows in Monterey Live.... but when I saw that the movie was going to premier there, I just shook my head.

Years ago they would have the movies premiers in local hotel conference rooms and fill up the entire space... NO WAY that Monterey Live was going to work, so I just avoided the whole thing.

That 24 Hour race film that came out booked an entire THEATER for 2 nights to show their film. Some friends and I went on Sunday night to check it out.... lot's of seats available for that one.... but I heard the crowd was better on Saturday.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Confirmation

I was there too. And I can indeed confirm that Brian said they would raffle off a frame. And I can also confirm that Cannondale and VAS are not responding to e-mails about this. I fortunately did not lose cab fare on it, but I sure as hell missed the premier of a video that I'd just found out has some of MY riding in it! Thanks Brian and VAS, the only time I could have ever seen a premier with me in it ("We Just Work Here"), I was standing in an angry mob in Monterey listening to empty promises by representatives of companies that could certainly afford to make good. It's cool, but if Brian and VAS don't do something about it, I'm gonna make a point of copying every new release by VAS as much as I can and distributing it as widely as I can, to at least get VAS' money's worth out of them if they won't deliver it as promised.

Oh, one more thing... I have pictures. Black and white, haven't developed them yet, but if they come out and Brian is still not responsive, they're going up on the anti-cut website I was yelling about. Not that I have anything against the riders, I seriously respect WG, AC, and JLs riding, but their managers, company, and promoters have some serious apologies to dole out.

That's right, if anyone from Cannondale is reading this, it will no longer be VAS' problem. Put some pressure on them, because if Brian's promise goes unfulfilled, you'll be feeling the financial hit too.

"There are only two forces in business... The government and THE CONSUMERS"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Our Apologies / Raffle Posting

My name is Brian and I am the marketing manager for VAS Entertainment, organizer of the Premiere event at Monterey Live. We regret not being able to accommodate everyone who came and/or who wanted to attend the event. The event was not planned or organized by Cannondale so please do not think ill of them. We were not pleased to have turned anyone away.

Due to a series of unfortunate events, including the weather at Sea Otter, the races of the day running late as a consequence and therefore just about everyone who was involved in the movie being delayed to the premiere, in addition to a lack of adequate staff at the venue all contributed to a very frustrating situation for everyone involved, including myself. I was not able to view the film either.

The club was going to project the film on the front of the building for everyone who was not able to get into the venue, but as you stated in your post the "angry mob" concerned the management and they felt that it would be too great a liability. Leaving us in another lurch to make things right for everyone who came. I admit that the venue was to small for an event of this nature and it was my fault for picking such a location... please accept my personal apologies.

I am indeed holding true to my promise to raffle off a frame and give away some copies of the film. But in another twist of fate my web designer broke his leg that weekend and has been unable to update our website with the necessary forms and details. We are not a large company and only have one employee who handles this for us. I regret not being able to post this information on the Monday of our return. Again please accept my personal apology and visit our website at www.vasentertainment.com to register for the giveaway. You will find a brief article on the left side of the home page with an email link for the raffle and movie giveaway.

The Bike Industry, Cannondale, Decline, DH productions and VAS Entertainment all very much respect and appreciate that all the enthusiast, participants and fans are the ones who buy our products, pay our checks and create the environment that allows us to exist. For that we thank you.

We hope you enjoy the movie and the wish you a great ride, wherever the trail takes you.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Good of you, Brian. It seems that all too often the broke and rioting in the streets demographic is widely ignored by businesses, but a few industries still get by on good old fashioned respect and love of the game. Thank god for bikes. Get well soon to your web guy and may your trails stay tacky and your rubber side stay down..

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VAS Entertainment
    But in another twist of fate my web designer broke his leg that weekend and has been unable to update our website with the necessary forms and details. We are not a large company and only have one employee who handles this for us.
    Karma IS a *****. That just seems too ironic even though that incident and the person it happened too may not have anything to do with the fiasco.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

dissapointing

Brian, I didnt know your web designer needed to stand or walk to update a web site. I usually just sit there as I am now. Also, you shouldnt blame the venue or the web master for everyones anger. Furthermore, dont plan an insider vip party and then tell people to come watch a movie knowing that they are only fodder used to make the place feel poppin. Im local, and I would appreaciate you not comming back to this area. I'll make sure to avoid any free movie premiers outside of Sea Otter.