mtbr member

License questions...

So without asking questions before hand, I registered for Cat 1 single speed for this year's Sea Otter. After looking at the web page I realized, crap, I don't have a license. I've only been racing mountain for about a year and a few months now but am an ex BMX racer of 15 years and have a lot of road miles in my legs and did pretty well in a some local XC races last year and have been training quite a bit blah blah blah... basically I'd rather finish mid pack in Cat 1 than podium in Cat 2. ESPECIALLY after seeing the sand bag threads. I went to USA cycling to check out license info and am only able to purchase a Cat 3 license. Is there any way around this?

Will trade answers for ANY BMX license questions

mtbr member
    I think you have to write USA Cycling to get the upgrade to Cat 1. They may allow it if you can show the experience. They don't want just anyone racing with the Cat 1 guys. Race 5 Cat 2 races before the event.
    Mountain Bike http://www.mtbmike.com/Videos

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Justin - you should be able to get your Cat 1 license easy based on your past results over the past year or so. I don't think USAC would deny an upgrade request from you. You are most certainly a Cat 1!

RS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Justin - you should be able to get your Cat 1 license easy based on your past results over the past year or so. I don't think USAC would deny an upgrade request from you. You are most certainly a Cat 1!

RS
    Called them up today, good to go! I think I'm more excited that I don't have to race Sunday morning at 7:30am

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dkbmxr18 View Post
    Called them up today, good to go! I think I'm more excited that I don't have to race Sunday morning at 7:30am
    What number did you specifically call or who did you speak to? I'm in the same boat and would like to not have to call around to a bunch of people.
    The new Energy Bar - CocoNutz Fuel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thezaugg View Post
    What number did you specifically call or who did you speak to? I'm in the same boat and would like to not have to call around to a bunch of people.
    Sorry to get back to you late! I just called the number in the USAC website.