mtbr member
    May 2009

Kona Konsideration

Here's the deal, Im relatively new to the sport of mountain biking and am in need of some help.

I currently have a trek 4100 alpha and while it has served me pretty well up until now, I have begun to get more serious and started to realize that I am in need of a change. For a while I was considering simply saving up a bit and putting some money into my trek, however, having gotten the bike a few years ago, I have outgrown the frame and decided I would be better off just buying a new bike.

I have done quite a bit of research online and through these forums and have settled on either a Kona Blast, or Kona Cinder Cone. It would seem to me that these bikes a fairly similar, obviously the Cinder Cone having a few better component. However, I am wondering if they are better enough to warrent spending the extra money on it. Based on reviews I know that while the forks on both are acceptable, they are really not that desirable. Am I better off buying the blast and investing in better forks or taking the cinder cone stock.

Of course my plans for the future would involve upgrades with either of these but at the moment, its about whats best for me now. This is the price range of bikes that I am in, with the cinder cone ($899 on kona's site) being the absolute top that I am willing to spend.

I am not opposed to any other brands per say but as it looks, in this price range, kona has the most to offer me. Let me know if I am off base with this thought though.

Thanks so much for your help.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    both kona blast and cider cone are good bikes. the blast having rock shox dart 2 and mech. brakes wont last as long as the cider cone with dart 3s and hydraulic brakes. even if you get the slightly better cinder cone after a while you will progress and want a better fork