swag ho Administrator

How would you rate the amateur racing experience?

Sea Otter used to be all about amateur racing 10 years ago. Then they kind of forgot about it and there were all kinds of screw-ups. There would be an avalanche of complaints here right after the races.

This year, it's been real quiet. Does that mean they're doing a good job?

What's the word racers?

fc

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    First my complaints. The finishing section of the XC race sucked! It poorly marked to the point of confusion. One sign was turned 180 degres around so that I had to slow down, turn around and ask spectators if I was going the right way. It had non-racers walking and riding through it and not yeilding to the racers. Also it was way to newly cut of a trail to be using for a major race. The main line was soft and chewed up and grassy areas to the sides were loaded with stickers. I had several puctures in both tires; was able to finish, but they were going flat fast.

The Saturday results and podium schedule was slooooow! My race ended at 10:30, the results weren't posted util after 1:00 and the podium not until 3:00. With the podium so late only 3 of the 5 stuck around; and the anounser was giving them **** for not staying. I was hoping to be on the road by 1:00. By the time I left I was sunburned, dehydrated, and exhausted.

On Friday the results were up about a 1/2 hr after the race with the podium another 1/2 later. That was great. I thought the overall organization was good,especially for an event of that size. I was able to sign up for Saturday morning's circuit race at the last minunte Frday night. Everyone was very helpful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I wasn't too fired up on racing on Friday, but I guess someone has to do it. Also, I agree, that finish was WAY pho dunk! I mean really, taped choppy grass after almost 40 miles of sweetness, without any warning? Otherwise I think they did a great job posting results quickly and staying on schedule.

Laguna Seca (not the sea otter people) needs to get its act together though. I don't think I've ever left that place after an event with out getting stuck in a traffic jam. Don't they know that lots of cars pull out of there at once?

mtbr member
    I agree with everything stilhardtailing said, especially regarding the lame new finish. I thought they were better about results and getting the podium done this year, but maybe that was just the race I did.
    My big complaint is that they combined fields for the 35/45 cat 4 circuit races. The entire right side of my body is covered in road rash because someone took me out going down the corkcscrew. I'm a 50 year old racer, have never crashed in 8 years of racing. I do not want to be racing and putting my life in danger with guys 15 years younger then me. How hard would it have been to start the 35 cat 4's a few minutes early and separate the fields?
    I have been going to SO for 8 years and it is interesting to see how much the field size has come down. I remember in the Road Race there would be 80 racers, and it was great! One of my favorite road races every year. I think there were 35 in the master cat 4's this year. MTB fields are also a lot smaller. I always go this race because it is so big and I want to see how I stack up against some if the best racers around, not just my usual NORCAL races. I do the MTB race every year, but it is not what I would call a real MTB race since it does not really require MTB skills, but it is a great test of fitness.
    I love any road race that has an uphill finish, since that is about all I can do well on a road bike
    After what happened to me this year I will never do the circuit race again.
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This was my first SOC. Did the Friday XC race and had a blast. Course was long, fast, and fun. The finish didn't really bother me, prob because I rode it as a warmup before the race. I was on a HT 29er too! My only complaint was the lack of liquid at the finish line. I had to go and bum some water off a parking attendant. Seems like that should be a standard. I was probably also a little extra thirsty since it was warmer on the course than I expected so I was already a bit dehydrated.

Beyond that, I thought the entire experience was absolutely worth the trip!

mtbr member
    I'm so excited to race this event. Can hardly wait!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

They've Had Enough Time...

Yea you would think that by now they would have that event running like a Swiss clock. All the above mentioned issues are things that seem to happen year after year and they never seem to really focus on the racers experience. I mean with the support and facilities there you would think you could or would have water (aid station) on course (xc race) at the halfway point. Nope. I remember the one year they did, we were informed that they would be handing out water bottles to all the racers. Got there and they were out of course, had to stop and fill my own up. Water at the finish line, you would think that would be a no brainer, but nope don't count on it. As far as timing and awards you would think with a chip system they use that would solve a lot of problems for them to get the awards done quickly, nope. If you really look at it the race experience is not really good value for the money, but they know we will all come anyway and thus they change very little from year to year. I am going this year and entering the cross race as its the cheapest race to enter and even if I don't race it the price covers the entry to what should be a free expo area, where I remember there used to be great schwag and deals to be had, no longer.
    Sour grapes.