mtbr member

Holy, WHAT? 70 bucks!

$70.00 for XC race 2010 SO?!?!?! Holy shoot that is a lot of money. I have been racing the SO for 6 straight years and I think I am done. Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the same stupid loop as the last 4, comes with the same water bottle and crappy tube, and is filled with a bunch of sandbaggers in Sport Class..

I'm just sayin....

mtbr member
    This is exactly why I don't race Sea Otter XC anymore, too expensive and a boring course. It's still fun to go though...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Where are you getting $70 from. It's $52 plus a $3 or $4 fee by active. It's not cheap, but it's not $70.

FriendlyNeighborhoodMTBer
    I think they took away the free SO pass with your race entry. You gotta pay for those now too. That's $10 for a day or $30 for the 4 day pass.
    If you can't play, display.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinnacle10
    Where are you getting $70 from. It's $52 plus a $3 or $4 fee by active. It's not cheap, but it's not $70.
    did you actually sign up? $52 + $10 (usa cycling 1 day pass) + $5.03 (processing) = $67.03, sorry I rounded up.

Q

Lusus Naturae
    I paid 56.19 total. You need to wait for a discount. Its really not that high of a price when you compare it to other high-profile races such as the D-ville classic, etc.

Kabayan - the website says:
    Entry fee includes an Athlete Hospitality Bag plus a four day Festival Pass valued at $30. Parking is FREE all week.

By the way, glad you like the picture I took of you at the Downieville race.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That $10 for the USA Cycling license they give back to you the day of the race as long as you have a licence, so it's actually $57. If you don't have a license then you'd have to pay that $10 to USA Cycling no matter what race you were at as long as it's sanctioned. And discount codes are not too hard to find if you look around (at least they weren't last year). Prices are high, but it's a major event so you'd have to expect to pay for it.

jimfab

even 50$

I have to agree with Mr. Quicklaps here. This is the reason i gave up on racing. Honestly, why would anybody pay 50, 60 up to xxx$ to ride on the same course that any other day of the year is free or at worse 6$ and with the entry fee you get a limited time on the course and have to share it with 50+ other people. It makes no sense especially when you throw in the sandbaggers and lack of prize money. I did the math on the recent 24 of old pueblo race. something like 2,400 participants each paying at a minimum of 100$ + parking + donation + gas + food + schwag + bike prep. That is at a minimum of 240,000$ to the event organizers. Granted they put on a nice event with high tech timing and scoring and have a few staff members but 240,000+ in one day for a kinda lame course that you will share with 2,400 other people at the same time? Honestly, i realize that is capitalism at its finest, but geeze. If you look at the times most teams with 4 or more people only got about 2-3 laps each. That is allot of time effort and money for 2-3 laps. Just sayin the people have the power to dictate what they are charged, fight the power

XC rider
    I'm racing Sea Otter as I love the experience of racing with hundreds of other cyclists.

If you are looking for a race that is the anti-Sea Otter check out the Big Sandy. Its almost entirely single track and wild. The race fees are minimal and 100% of the proceeds go back into trail maintenance and advocacy.

http://bigsandyrace.com/10/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaboot
    I'm racing Sea Otter as I love the experience of racing with hundreds of other cyclists.

If you are looking for a race that is the anti-Sea Otter check out the Big Sandy. Its almost entirely single track and wild. The race fees are minimal and 100% of the proceeds go back into trail maintenance and advocacy.

http://bigsandyrace.com/10/

Just signed up! Thanks, its refreshing not to have any extra fees pop up while registering online. This is my 2nd year racing the big sandy and I agree its full of single track, rolling single track.

mtbr member
    i am on the fence. Three years ago this was the first race i did. I really enjoy it and the event is what makes it. The sponsors and the displays are fun to check out. If you have never been to Sea Otter it is a pretty fun time. I just looked at the bigsandyrace and that one looks like something i am going to do.

mtbr member
    Whooo Collegiate category for $25.

Lusus Naturae
    $10 off with SOCRIDERSCLUB code until 2/26

mtbr member
    Don't get me wrong, great event, challenging XC race, and a super fun weekend... just seems a little pricey all considering.Everyone does things differently, some feel other things are more important than some things.... I feel the XC racing is one of the main highlights of the weekend and the SO could do a few things to the XC race to make it great and totally worth $60.00 or whatever $$.

Q

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    $10 off with SOCRIDERSCLUB code until 2/26
    For those of us that are price sensitive, today's the last day for the $10 SOCRIDERSCLUB discount.

mtbr member
    If you race expert you need an annual licence, this makes it real expensive.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Race Cat 1 and ride two laps

I am a Cat 2 and decided to suffer through two laps this year. I finished 23rd in cat 2 last year and figured that most of the losers who finished in front of me should probably be racing cat 1 anyway.

I also noticed that cat 1 starts on Friday afternoon which means i won't freeze and have to wake up early. I will likely finish DFL and may throw up and cramp up like crazy but who cares.

mtbr member
    FWIW - all registered athletes receive a festival pass.

MM
    Support Open Space!

mtbr member
    Sea Otter is big $, but it is still my best race of the year with the best course even though it has not changed.

+1 CAT II sandbaggers. Its all do to dumb USA Cycling rules and high year license fee.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMac
    FWIW - all registered athletes receive a festival pass.

MM
    Festival passes should be free anyway. Why does someone need to buy a festival pass? So that they can pay to be advertise too and buy bike stuff and expensive food?

mtbr member
    I AM A TOTAL J-ASS, I totally signed up anyway. I had heart palpitations thinking I wasn't going to sign up.... TY for the 10 bucks off. see y'all there. I'll be the guy on the bike.

Q

mtbr member

Thats it i am promoting my own race

I have been going to sea otter since it started but its just too costly this year i feel like the value for what you get racing is really not there anymore last time i think i got two practice runs in before my race for 70$ meanwhile i had to wait it seemed like an eternity to get my second run in back in the day at big bear we could easily get in at least 5-10 practice runs sure its a lift run but damm an 1.5 hour wait for sea otter is ridiculous.
    I think in order to breath life into the sport there has to be incentive for the guy that doesn't have a huge sponsorship deal to race the old days were the best racing ever. The pros can have there Gravity series although interesting to them not as interesting to grass roots riders that buy the majority of frames and parts so they can race.
    Give me a local downhill race any day i was glad i had the opportunity to race at places like mammoth and big bear nothing can match that but the local races just are cool. Although i do enjoy the sea otter i think the fun kinda dissipates as you look at your bank account and say damm where did all my money go.That's it i am promoting my own race

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I did SO in 2004,2005,2006,2007. The fees doubled in that time, so I abandoned. It was fun anyway.