mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Fort Ord Riding (sea otter dh course)

I have rode Fort Ord Trails before, but never as far over as the DH course. Is the DH course pretty noticeable after the fact. If i were to head out there late June would I be able to still cipher the course and run down it a couple times? Thanks in advance for any info or help.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by resqd1 View Post
    I have rode Fort Ord Trails before, but never as far over as the DH course. Is the DH course pretty noticeable after the fact. If i were to head out there late June would I be able to still cipher the course and run down it a couple times? Thanks in advance for any info or help.
    Its a pretty established course/trail - shouldn't be problem finding your way down it. The climb back will be fun
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    do they change the course much each year or is it pretty much the same thing? Do they add jumps or remove them after or anything>

mtbr member
    DH course is closed. Only open during Sea Otter. It rides above an active gun range.
    Don't want to get shot!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I went to Laguna Seca in May 2011. Camped-out for couple days. Rode some of the XC trails. Really wanted to hit-up the DH trail. Signs said the area was closed and warned about the gun range. So, I didn't get to ride it.

I asked some friends who live close by about riding the DH course. They said I could have totally ridden it with no problem. It doesn't cross the line of fire from the gun range and just ignore the signs. Next time!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The Sea Otter DH course is open once a year during Sea Otter-
    The rest of LS is closed to off road travel, especially anything in the proximity of the gun range. If you want to ride DH/FR in the area, drive to Toro park and ride there. Ord is fairly flat and requires a good deal of pedaling.
    Word-
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Maybe I missed something, but my one & only experience with Toro park was all mostly soft sand fire road stuff, couldn't find any fun single track other than a short section near the bottom.
    Maybe enlighten me, I'd like to find something new in that area....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Keeping it more on the DL, you will have to ask the ranger or another rider where the good stuff is..
    But Toro is probably one of the few places with a one way all DH single track that is signed in California-

Have fun man! Peace-
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Thanks, that might be the one I found, I'll look into that when I go to sea otter this year